HELP on buying insulin

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

camjen1

camjen1

• 500 plus
  • 3,658 posts
I need to pay for my next vial of insulin again and was wondering if anyone can direct me to the cheapest way to buy a vial?

I would hate to go to Walgreen's again and pay over $100. Any suggestions? I do have a script.
~Sandi~
Pumping for almost 6 years
MM Purple 722 with Humalog
Symlin

Just because I've been on df for a whole day doesn't mean I'm ADDICTED... my chair is just COMFY...

ShintoBean

ShintoBean

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
When I had a similar problem, I used CanadaPharmacy.com it was $46 for one vial of humalog, with $10 shipping. I think it was $10 for shipping no matter how much you are getting. I also did not need a script. If you have one, you may also try online US pharmacies, which may also be cheaper. It probably depends on the brand of insulin you use. Also, you could call around and ask places like Target and Walmart. I remember when I was looking for where had the cheapest pills for patients without insurance, Target actually had the cheapest, and sometimes it was even less than an insurance co-pay would have been. Good luck!
Shannon

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,769 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
Walmart and Kroger are always cheaper than Walgreens. Our insurance actually just sent us a letter requesting all members to not use Walgreens/CVS/etc for prescriptions as they generally charge higher which means higher premiums in the end.

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

TenderVittleS

TenderVittleS

Banned

• Banned
  • 387 posts
I tried CanadaPharmacy.com and the insulin actually arrived from the UK. The insulin also seemed a little "off" and had lost some potency. It'll work for a short time, but I wouldn't recommend it long-term.
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate." - Thomas Watson

camjen1

camjen1

• 500 plus
  • 3,658 posts
Can anyone who has ordered from CanadaPharmacy.com tell me the average ship time?

ETA: It would have helped if I had just read the FAQ's on that sight. :)
~Sandi~
Symlin

Just because I've been on df for a whole day doesn't mean I'm ADDICTED... my chair is just COMFY...

ShintoBean

ShintoBean

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I tried CanadaPharmacy.com and the insulin actually arrived from the UK. The insulin also seemed a little "off" and had lost some potency. It'll work for a short time, but I wouldn't recommend it long-term.

That's right, I forgot about that, it did actually come from the UK. I remember thinking it was odd because even though it took about 10 days, the ice packs were still cold! I didn't notice a difference with my blood sugars when I used it, but it was only for one bottle, then my new insurance kicked in.

Can anyone who has ordered from CanadaPharmacy.com tell me the average ship time?

They told me it would take about 2 weeks, but I actually received it in about 10 days. It probably depends where you are, I'm in the Chicago area.

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,219 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
If you have a Costco near you, they are one of the cheapest pharmacies. You can go there with your script and they will check the price for you (if you present the Rx).
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,769 posts
If you visit me I'll give you a bottle :D Shhhh, don't tell the mods on here.

I have an abundance as I had a coupon I needed to use and order every 30 days and I get 3000 units when I only need 2400 units.

●Police Dispatcher

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

PepsiLvr

PepsiLvr

• 500 plus
  • 470 posts
Try your local hospial or Dr's office. A lot of times they have samples they can give out or samples that they are trying to get rid of because they expire soon. The samples are usually the full size vials.
The answer to 1984 is 1776

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts

If you visit me I'll give you a bottle Shhhh, don't tell the mods on here.

I have an abundance as I had a coupon I needed to use and order every 30 days and I get 3000 units when I only need 2400 units.

That's very nice of you, Jedi. Rather than Camjen visiting, could you possibly mail it out to her? I've mailed out Novolog vials & pens to friends in need. As long as you add some frozen gel packs to the package, the insulin will stay cold.

Karen

GinaLynn

GinaLynn

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am not sure what type of insulin you are using but if it is Humalog then Nova Log is the generic kind and it works just as good.

I had similar trouble (buying insulin) then I switched and I haven't noticed any changes in the two kinds; Hope this helps:T
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]~Gina :wavey:

Diabetic: 19 years
Pump user: 7 years[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Phonelady61

Phonelady61

• 500 plus
  • 110 posts
Hi walmart has the cheapest out of pocket . here where i live in florida is reli brand at wal mart and they are 21.95 a vial and the syringes are 12.95 for 100 short needle box . I hope that this helps and from my understand it is only if insurance buys that you need a script . I hope this helps dear and good luck . I am diabetic type 1 and have to purchase everything out of pocket cause i dont have insurance . cannot afford my hubbys and cant qualify for medical state or county or otherwise . So I like many others in this country fall into the cracks in our system . Not fun at all . I have not worked in 2 yrs as well . I am moving soon and hope to be employed again soon . good luck .

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,769 posts
Sorry, got to correct two errors here...

I am not sure what type of insulin you are using but if it is Humalog then Nova Log is the generic kind and it works just as good.

I had similar trouble (buying insulin) then I switched and I haven't noticed any changes in the two kinds; Hope this helps:T

There is no generic insulin. Humalog, Novolog, and Apidra are all name brand insulins just made by three different companies. THey each have slightly different profiles and depending on the person they may or may not notice a difference in the three. Most don't.

Hi walmart has the cheapest out of pocket . here where i live in florida is reli brand at wal mart and they are 21.95 a vial and the syringes are 12.95 for 100 short needle box . I hope that this helps and from my understand it is only if insurance buys that you need a script . I hope this helps dear and good luck . I am diabetic type 1 and have to purchase everything out of pocket cause i dont have insurance . cannot afford my hubbys and cant qualify for medical state or county or otherwise . So I like many others in this country fall into the cracks in our system . Not fun at all . I have not worked in 2 yrs as well . I am moving soon and hope to be employed again soon . good luck .

She's asking for help on insulin, not strips.

That's very nice of you, Jedi. Rather than Camjen visiting, could you possibly mail it out to her? I've mailed out Novolog vials & pens to friends in need. As long as you add some frozen gel packs to the package, the insulin will stay cold.

Karen

On that comment I don't mail a prescription item. I have shared but only in person. It's less of a chance to track the illegal activity of giving a prescription drug to another that way.

●Police Dispatcher

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts

The original poster uses a pump and uses fast acting insulin. That means either Humalog, Novolog or Apidra. All are prescription items and are much more expensive than Regular or NPH, which you can buy over the counter.

You can use Regular in a pump but it would probably take awhile to get everything adjusted to account for the different activity curve.

I spent the first 11 years with Type 1 without insurance, then had crappy insurance that had no prescription benefits and I still had to pay for everything (except doctor/lab) out of pocket. It sucks.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

DanG

DanG

• 500 plus
  • 964 posts

On that comment I don't mail a prescription item. I have shared but only in person. It's less of a chance to track the illegal activity of giving a prescription drug to another that way.

RANT ON
It is a shame that insulin is so scary that we need to be afraid of illegal activity in this. I am appalled that our systems of justice have made us all so afraid to help another individual with life-necessary-hormones, aka insulin that should need no prescription. If I had the right stuff - mailing it would be fine for me to send out. Too bad the culture has made us fear illegal - when this is life in need of insulin that we are chasing.

So, I guess camjen1 dies - for lack of ability to purchase insulin. Oh, well - it could happen to any one of us - someday. Too bad, because I can recall purchasing lente insulin and syringes at the pharmacy counter for years without a prescription. But, no - not these days - we are all terrorists ready to drive airplanes into buildings because we are using insulin - pah!
RANT OFF!!

sprzepiora

sprzepiora

• 500 plus
  • 359 posts
Lots of people need a script to buy things they need to live, it has nothing to do with terrorists, it has to do with controlling dangerous drugs and has been around for a long time.
The Przepiora Clan
Posted Image
Theresa Maria Jonny Bridget(kate) David Lily Jimmy Danny(holding the bear)
Margaret isn't in the picture

camjen1

camjen1

• 500 plus
  • 3,658 posts

So, I guess camjen1 dies - for lack of ability to purchase insulin. Oh, well - it could happen to any one of us - someday. Too bad, because I can recall purchasing lente insulin and syringes at the pharmacy counter for years without a prescription. But, no - not these days - we are all terrorists ready to drive airplanes into buildings because we are using insulin - pah!
RANT OFF!!

It's pretty scary when you have to remind your own doctor that you need insulin refills because without insulin a person will die.

My doctor treats my insulin refills as if they are too precious to pass out. Or that Insulin is a narcotic and needs to be monitored. He gives me 2 refills at a time or if I'm lucky 3 refills at a time. I use on avg. 80 units a day. It's a real pain in the butt to always have to go in to see him every month to get more refills. When I try to call over the phone to get him to authorize refills I basically get told every time that they can't guarantee he'll authorize it. My response is always okay then I'll just see him in the ER so you may want to warn him.
~Sandi~
Symlin

Cormac_Doyle

Cormac_Doyle

• 500 plus
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationIreland (For Now)
Diabetes is treated as a "long-term illness" in Ireland ... which means that the pharmacy only needs to see a prescription every 6 months (and half the time only ask for one if you are changing drugs).

They will dispense as much insulin as you ask for ... but will adhere strictly to what is prescribed when ic comes to tablets or other drugs ...

All of it free.

I know that with the cost of insulin and other meds, I could not afford to live in the USA, even if my salary was doubled!

HbA1c
2007/2008 - Sept 07: 10.9; Feb 08: 8.5; Sept 08: 7.3;
2009 - Feb: 7.5; Apr: 6.4; Aug: 6.1;
2010 - Jan: 7.0; Mar: 6.4; Jun: 6.1; Oct: 5.9;
2011 - Jan: 6.4; Apr: 6.5; Aug: 6.3; Nov: 6.2;
2012 - Mar: 6.7; May: 6.3; June: 6.2; Sep: 5.4; Dec: 6.0;
2013 - Mar: 6.1; May: 6.5; July: 6.3; Nov: 6.1;
2014 - Apr: 6.3;

Meds - Glucophage: 2000mg; Omega 3: 4000mg; Crestor: 20mg; Victoza: 1.8mg; Humulin: 150-250 iu ( originally 1800-2400 iu daily)

Started Pump: 10th April 2011 - Minimed Paradigm Veo

gettingby

gettingby

• 500 plus
  • 10,037 posts
Sandi, I hate you are having these problems. My endo's office gave me 2 vials of Humalog when I started pumping (wasted insulin by listening to the trainer. now I know better:) ).
My endo has my script for 2 vials/mth with 12 refills on it.
Your doc should be taken out and beaten. LOL. :)

:P 

~Cin~
Mom always says I'm special. Hmmm........wonder what she means by that?? LOL.
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched, they must be felt with the heart.
~Helen Keller~

lilituc

lilituc

• 500 plus
  • 709 posts

Lots of people need a script to buy things they need to live, it has nothing to do with terrorists, it has to do with controlling dangerous drugs and has been around for a long time.

And yet you can buy any of those insulins without a prescription in Canada (and for much cheaper, I might add).
Dx T2 3/2005
Correctly dx T1 (LADA) 11/2006
MM 522 w/NovoLog since 1/07
Previously on Actos, Starlix, Metformin ER, Lantus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users