- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

orange81bird

orange81bird

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
Ok, so I have to go in for a blood draw before my next endo appt. The only problem is that both of my arms and back of hands have very small run away veins and it takes forever and very painful to finally find something useable that will give enough blood.

So my question is: Where do you get blood drawn from? or any opinions on the best places that haven't been found yet?

Even with drinking lots of water the day before and the morning of I still have lots of problems.

Any ideas/opinions would be great! Thanks

Heather

dx'd Type 1 March 1991
Pumping since 4/2008 Minimed 722
CGMS 5/2008

“The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.” ~Joe Ancis~

camjen1

camjen1

• 500 plus
  • 3,658 posts
Perhaps trying a warm compress to your hand and letting your hand dangle. Make sure they use a butterfly needle and make sure they know that you are a hard stick and that you prefer a tech with years of experience.
~Sandi~
Pumping for almost 6 years
MM Purple 722 with Humalog
Symlin

Just because I've been on df for a whole day doesn't mean I'm ADDICTED... my chair is just COMFY...

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts
Whenever I had blood drawn it was always a big hassle because nobody could get a vein. I used to have it drawn at my PCP's office and one person could usually get it by the second try, but nobody else. My insurance changed and I have to use a specific lab now, where that's all they do all day. I have never had a problem there, and they always take it from the inside elbow part (okay, I know there's a name for that body part but I can't think of it!) and almost always from my right arm.

Sandi is right about getting someone with experience to do it. I no longer dread having blood drawn since going to the lab.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

lelggren

lelggren

• 500 plus
  • 812 posts
I know all too well what this one is like. I have the worst veins (thanks mom and dad...lol), and so does my husband. We always say that our kids are so screwed when we have them if they inherit the same thing that seems to be passing down in our families...lol

Everytime I have had to have a blood test or IV or anything like that, we search all over the place and usually end up getting the lab tech that has a ton of experience with the problem veins. For a blood draw, make sure that they use a butterfly needle, and I would recommend that you have them try a surface vein. The problem I have is that when they dig around for all these ones down deep, they just don't find anything, or if they do, the vein magically collapses right when they get the needle into me which results in more sticks and more painful digging. So, I had them try a surface vein one day, and that was the magic ticket! :) Now, when I go in for my blood draws, I just direct them to the same surface vein and it saves a lot of time, pain, and resources.

Moral of the story, when they find a good vein that works, remember that vein and remind them of it each time :) Good luck!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Laura Anne :star:

"Happy Day! All is well!

Pumping with Paradigm 712 since November 17th, 2004

Type 1 since April, 1995

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• 500 plus
  • 6,758 posts
Generally if you go to a place that just does phlebotomy they're really, really good. I went to phlebotomy for a day to get some experience drawing blood. I was pretty good and getting 99% of the people I stuck, but there were a few people I was like, "Man, I see NOTHING!" so I called the actual phlebotomist over and before I even looked over, she was in a vein perfectly, first try. Moral of the story- nurses stink, actual phlebotomists rock. You're not a renal patient, you probably haven't had thousands of sticks like some people, and your white blood cells aren't through the roof, so you'll probably be fine. But yeah, drink lots of water. And like Sandi said- warm compresses can help.

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• 500 plus
  • 6,758 posts

I have never had a problem there, and they always take it from the inside elbow part (okay, I know there's a name for that body part but I can't think of it!) and almost always from my right arm.

Antecubital or AC

pokie

pokie

• 500 plus
  • 115 posts
I feel for you; I have similar problems with uncooperative veins. Do make sure they use the butterfky; for me it REALLY makes a difference and I don't end up with all the horrible bruising. I had a Navy doc do a blood draw on me once and I had bruising halfway down both forearms...
[SIGPIC]http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10467&dateline=1204011885[/SIGPIC]

Robbie
Type2, diagnosed 2004
Metformin 2000mg

Lantus at night
Novolog Flexpen before meals

"But Mama, that's where the fun is..."

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts

Antecubital or AC

Thanks! I'm glad I don't need to have blood drawn often because that one vein seems to be my only good one.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

davef

davef

• 500 plus
  • 8,079 posts

they always take it from the inside elbow part (okay, I know there's a name for that body part but I can't think of it!) and almost always from my right arm.

Antecubital or AC

That's the site I usually recommend when they take mine, not that I really have a problem. When in hospital they used the back of my hand and a butterfly needle.

Generally if you go to a place that just does phlebotomy they're really, really good. .

Definitely try get a phlebotomist to draw the blood, that's what they are specifically trained to do.

It would be well worth using the warm compress and do drink lots of water.
Posted Image

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 14u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.
Most recent A1c 20/11/13: 11.6% <= back where I started

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts
I think it has all been pretty much covered already :D
  • Keep Well hydrated
  • Dress Warmly
  • Loose clothing, at least on your arms
  • Tell them you are difficult :T
  • Insist on an expert
  • Remember where they found the vein for next time
Good luck :)

JenBarker

JenBarker

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
I had blood tests last month (for pre-op); the nurse took one look at my veins and sent me down to the lab :)). The Phlebby said "Where are your veins?" as he prodded my arms, but he finally found one and got it at the first try. I'd say definitely go to the Phlebby; they do it all day every day. If anyone can do it quickly and painlessly, they can. I'd insist they do it, but then I, um, hate needles.
Jen
I remember the good old days of blood tests with needles bigger than my hand, and the nurses sticking it in and wiggling it about, trying to chase the vein down. I was seriously ill about 12 years ago (with septicemia, although this didn't stop em diagnosing ketoacidosis "Because my blood sugar was high"). There, they couldn't get any veins, they took blood from 1)A vein at the base of my thumb, and b)from my groin. I was too ill to care, but the massive bruise on my thigh was there for ages :D. The one in my thumb didn't bruise, but really hurt while it was happening.

Maddie

Maddie

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
I'm a little person with itty, bitty veins. When I was in the hospital when I was diagnosed, they ran out the usual places for drawing blood. Low and behold...they used my foot! I was too ill to really care.

Now, I have my "usual" phlebotomist lady who knows to use a butterfly on the top of my hand. I also drink lots of water. And I heat up a rice bag (flannel bag with rice...nuked in the microwave) and keep that on my hand all the way to the doctor's office. That keeps the blood warm and flowing so I'm ready to go when I get there. Now when I go, I go right in, Janelle gets right to business and then I'm outta there. When she wasn't there one time, they sent me over to the local hospital (thankfully).

Spock

Spock

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
I get my blood taken from my ankle without problems.

camjen1

camjen1

• 500 plus
  • 3,658 posts
Blood can be drawn from a foot but we have to call the doctor to get authorization and if you are diabetic then usually the foot isn't an option.
~Sandi~
Pumping for almost 6 years
MM Purple 722 with Humalog
Symlin

Just because I've been on df for a whole day doesn't mean I'm ADDICTED... my chair is just COMFY...

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• 500 plus
  • 6,758 posts
We usually reserve feet for the peeps that killed their veins shooting up heroin. True story.

Spock

Spock

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
I'm disabled (not an addict!), so it's either my ear or my ankle!

Tattoo azz

Tattoo azz

• 500 plus
  • 1,991 posts
I don't have a problem with getting blood drawn, i usually have it taken from the AC. I know there are heat packs you can get that you just slap to get the heat started, those might help
Posted Image:fight:
It's ok you'll just feel a small prick[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"DUUUUDE Where's my carbs??"

T1 since oct '82
A1C 6.8 :D
Novorapid using Novopen4 (silver)
Levemir using Novopen4 (blue)
Metformin 2x500mg daily
Thyroxin 175mg once daily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users