- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

rachel1967

rachel1967

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Are there any averages or anything for the life expectancy of a type 2 diabetic?

I know that is a broad question and may be difficult to answer. If you are type 2 and would not mind posting your age and how long you have been type 2 diabetic I would greatly appreciate it.

I have been type 2 for 9 years and on insulin for one year. I am 40 years old and have very good control of my sugars right now. My last A1c was 6.2 it has slowly come down from a 8.4, I am very proud of that. I am in general good health but overweight and working on that as well. It is a very slow process for me with that. I am 180 lbs and 5' 1" so I have a long way to go.

Thanks in advance for sharing!

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• Seniors
  • 658 posts
I am a type 2 and diagnosed just this year in June. I am 47, 185 and 5'9" tall. My bs have come way down in the last few weeks. I was at 360 when placed on Metformin. Now I average between 100 and 115 most days.

I've never really thought much about life expectancy of being diabetic until you asked. To me, it'd have to be on an individual basis. For now though, I want to think on the positive side of life and just live to the best of my ability. My days are getting better and I don't really worry as much about what I can/can't eat, testing my bs, or checking my feet everyday for possible problems.
Please bare with me... I am struggling over here.

rachel1967

rachel1967

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am such a planner that I feel that I need to know how long I will live. LOL! I know there is no real answer to this question. I feel that if I hear from diabetics that have had it for many, many years that if I keep going as I am I will be around to be with my husband (who is in good health) for many years to come and see more of my four children as they move on with their lives.

I am sorry for arising such a question but I know that we can live for a long time if it is managed and for some reason I need to hear that right now.

jillybean

jillybean

• Seniors
  • 1,282 posts
There is one school of thought that type 2s who actually follow up with it appropriately can live longer than others because they are constantly mmonitored and checked for complications, whereas many other people don't go to a doctor for something until it is too late.

I am only 25 and was diagnosed this year. It's very scary. Hopefully after my surgery, though, I won't have to worry about diabetes anymore--instead, I'll worry about adequate nutritional supplementation.

*Jill*
Diagnosed Type 2 May 21, 2008, A1C 9.5, Fasting Glucose 214
Had Duodenal Switch (DS) surgery to resolve diabetes on March 27, 2009.
Most recent A1Cs prior to surgery: 8.1 and 7.9 while on 2500mg metformin and 50mg Januvia (sitagliptin) :(
A1C on 7/10/2009: 5.4 :)
A1C on 12/3/2010: 4.9 (off all meds) :cool:
6/9/2011: A1C of 4.6, fasting: 70, fasting insulin: 2 :D:D:D
A1C on 10/13/11: 4.8 :) (fasting: 60)
A1C in August 2012: 4.9 :)
A1C on 3/11/2013: 4.8 :)

CaptainMike

CaptainMike

• Members
  • 290 posts
Statistically I'm sure that type 2's have significantly shorter life spans that the general population. However, I would be willing to bet that highly compliant type 2's who eat right, exercise, and manage to keep their A1C's under 6.5 have just as long if not longer life spans than the general population. It is a real shame that so many type 2's go through life with very high A1C's and wind up with complications due to whatever factors (lack of access to good health care, Dr's with poor understanding of the disease, sheer stubborness and unwillingness to change lifestyles is probably a problem for some people) There are plenty of very senior (practically ANCIENT ;-)) type 2's (and T1's) who I have seen post up here in the past year and a half. Hopefully some will see this thread and share the secrets to their success.

sparrow1

sparrow1

• Members
  • 327 posts
I am 65 and was diagnosed in 1989 - almost 20 years ago. And I really did not look after it for the first 10 years. I was on an ADA plan, so you can imagine how many carbs I took in.

So far, I have been lucky enough to have no complications. For the past 10 years I've been very serious about managing it, but have a hard time getting below an A1C of 7.2. I've been worse than that but I once hit 6.3 when I was on Atkins. I cannot stick with an ultra-low carb diet but can manage to do a max of 80 grams per day. I'm on 2000 mg Metformin and I've been on Levemir for a couple of years and NovoRapid for a year.

So plan for a happy retirement with the D and when the time comes, have enough stashed away to travel and enjoy life to the fullest. Test, manage, test, and strive for good numbers.

Hope that helps
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dx'd Type 2, 1989
Meds: Metformin 2500, Lantus 24, NovoRapid 1:4, Victoza 1.2, Lipitor, Inhibace, Remeron, Celexa
Mulitvitamin, Omega 3, Calcium/Magnesium, Vitamin C , Vitamin D

rachel1967

rachel1967

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks Sparrow I really needed to hear that! This information makes me want to strive that much more to do all I can.

I personally did not know anyone that lived into their 60's that had been diabetic for more than 10 years. I hope you're not the only one out there!

Thanks again.

jimgolliher

jimgolliher

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Rachel, I am 67 diagnosed type 2 in 1997. My wife and I are now retired and into our traveling phase. My mother was a type 2 and lived happily to age 83.

Evermont

Evermont

• Seniors
  • 3,373 posts
"Diabetes is a perfect model for accelerated aging."

I have seen it stated that 1 year with diabetes equals 1.5 years without. So a person Dx at 40 would then at age 60 be statistically in the same shape as a non diabetic at age 70.

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• Seniors
  • 658 posts

I have seen it stated that 1 year with diabetes equals 1.5 years without. So a person Dx at 40 would then at age 60 be statistically in the same shape as a non diabetic at age 70.

Source please? Who did you quote?
Please bare with me... I am struggling over here.

Jan B

Jan B

• Seniors
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • I am a:Type 1
My 2 cents:

My grandpa was diagnosed at approximately 70 yrs of age. He went on insulin immediately and they called him a Type 1, but I'll never really know for sure. Anyway, he took one shot of Humulin Lente daily and lived to be 93. He had amazing control and willpower. He didn't have the "smartest" doctors.

There was a discussion here about life expectancy of Type 1s. Just like in that discussion, a good answer is very hard to capture. Worrying about a shortened life won't do anything positive, except, hopefully get the subject to focus more on quality of life, not quantity. In addition, a good attitude and gratefulness about the life you were blessed with, can add years.
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

Evermont

Evermont

• Seniors
  • 3,373 posts

Source please? Who did you quote?

Sorry, I got used to people not caring. I quote Dr. Andrew Weil from Healthy Aging (which I got through Netflix, I found it very interesting)

sparrow1

sparrow1

• Members
  • 327 posts

Wow! So I'm in the same shape as a 99 year old:eek: No wonder my joints ache LOL.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dx'd Type 2, 1989
Meds: Metformin 2500, Lantus 24, NovoRapid 1:4, Victoza 1.2, Lipitor, Inhibace, Remeron, Celexa
Mulitvitamin, Omega 3, Calcium/Magnesium, Vitamin C , Vitamin D

Lloyd

Lloyd

• Seniors
  • 1,917 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
With my A1c, the fact that I have lost 37 lbs, and am working to loose more, Etc. I expect to live longer than if I never got diabetes.

-Lloyd

2014 A1c 5.4 5.6 5.8 5.6   2013 5.3 4.9 5.2 5.2

2012 5.3 5.2 5.1 5.0 2011 5.0 5.0 5.2 5.0 2010 5.3 5.3 5.3 5.4 5.4

2009 5.4 5.4 5.3 5.2 2008 5.0 5.1 5.2 4.9 4.9

2007 5.3 5.5 5.7<---Pump 6.9 (Mix)

2006 (Lantus) 7.8 8.5 8.7 7.1

2005 8.4 6.9 7.4 2004 6.2 5.6 6.4 6.0 (Pills)

cyberus

cyberus

• Seniors
  • 1,182 posts
My grandmother was Type 2 (as is my mother, and now me).

Grandma was chair bound, pain issues from what put her in the chair, controlled her diabetes with diet and oral meds.

She also drank when the pain meds weren't enough .. smoked 4 packs of Pall Mall unfiltered a day and ate foods that had her cholesterol sky high.

She died in her sleep at age 88.

My mother is now 63 and has been dealing with type 2 (oral meds/diet) for almost 20 yrs and doesn't show any signs of slowing down.

Point is .. who REALLY knows what YOUR life expectancy is/was to begin with?

AlwaysLate

AlwaysLate

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
My 60th b-day is fast approaching. Diagnosed 2 yrs ago with an a1c of 12, and the last three tests were 5.8, 5.7 and 6.0, I'm sure I was undiagnosed for a year or two before. Some family history...when I was very young I remember my aunt having to take 'sugar' pills. I never knew what that meant and actually never gave it any thought. I'm embarrassed to say that it was only after I was diagnosed and talking to my other aunt that I found out her sister was taking pills for her high sugar. I never knew she had D. On the bright side, my aunt that takes 'sugar' pills (aka metformin) will be celebrating her 90th b-day this Oct. She lives in her own apartment (assisted living) and just gave up driving 2 yrs ago. My plan is to hang around just as long.

jacobsam622

jacobsam622

• Seniors
  • 635 posts

Are there any averages or anything for the life expectancy of a type 2 diabetic?

I know that is a broad question and may be difficult to answer. If you are type 2 and would not mind posting your age and how long you have been type 2 diabetic I would greatly appreciate it.

I have been type 2 for 9 years and on insulin for one year. I am 40 years old and have very good control of my sugars right now. My last A1c was 6.2 it has slowly come down from a 8.4, I am very proud of that. I am in general good health but overweight and working on that as well. It is a very slow process for me with that. I am 180 lbs and 5' 1" so I have a long way to go.

Thanks in advance for sharing!

I have type and I am 45 years old my grandfather just turned 94 and he has type-2 if that helps.
Byetta 5mcg twice a day
Sugar busters life style
Exercise = cardio and running after twins Ben & Josh

"Oh for Pete's sake" -Ben "Let me think" - Josh

Ok Wildcards watch your six.

You too will be assimilated! You will become one with the Borg. You will all become one with the borg."

To lose this war means more than defeat. To surrender is to never go home. All of us must rise to the call above and beyond". Lt Col TC McQueen

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GeorgeGuinn

GeorgeGuinn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
I actually asked my Dr. this question, how long should I expect to be able to live based upon my current health. He told me he expected to keep me alive into my 80's (I am currently 49). I was surprised. But of course the bigger question is with what quality of life.

slipperyelm

slipperyelm

• Seniors
  • 1,465 posts
I'm 49 and was diagnosed 15 years ago, though I have reason to believe I was diabetic for three years prior to diagnosis.

I think we will know more about life span and long term health prospects of type 2s in a few more years once the huge numbers of diabetics diagnosed in the last 15 years have been through some time. (I think I was diagnosed at the time that the big push to identify type 2s began. Anyway, I was seeing the info and encouragement to get tested everywhere, it seemed. Or, maybe that was just because I knew for sometime that I needed to be tested for it.)

Axel Slinger

Axel Slinger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Personally, I don't think there are since most diabetics will either live or die because of what they choose to do once they know they have it. If they "get with the program" as I always say then they can live long and happy lives. If they don't, well... It was nice knowing them.

It may also depend on how long they were diabetic before they knew they were. As an example, I have neuropathy in my feet, which is a result of being diabetic. Now that I know what it feels like and what it is, I know now that I was diabetic for several years before I was diagnosed as such because my feet have felt like they do now for over 20 years.

But I was pretty active at the time and it did not occur to me to see a Doctor and find out if I was diabetic, even though both my Mother and Sister had died from diabetic complications when they were 52. I was diagnosed when I was 48. Now I am 52 as well and I have no plans to join them in the graveyard...

So I got my act together and do my best to keep it in check. My daily averages (according to my OneTouch UltraSmart meter) are about 125 over the past month. Which for me is a drastic improvement over last year at this time. The prospect of your own death is one **** of a wake up call...

That's my two cents worth on this anyway. (With interest...) :D
Life is simple. Eat, Sleep, Bike.

Posted Image You can call me Ax

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users