Diabetic headaches?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• Seniors
  • 658 posts
Good morning all! I have yet another question and this time it's about headaches. I have been experiencing headaches on and off all day for several weeks, especially on the right side of my head around my ear. I went to my primary this past Monday and she said it 'might' be temporal arteritis. I don't have all symptoms, but I am very concerned. She put me on 2 sample sized bottles of Veramyst to see if this might help just in case it's a sinus thing. I'm supposed to use them up then call her with the results. It worked fine the first day, but my headaches are back and aceto isn't really doing anything to quell them.

I know I'm a newbie at this, but is there something I missed? I mean is there something diabetes related with these headaches that is a common thing?
Please bare with me... I am struggling over here.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,059 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Headaches can be caused by so many different things, its hard to pinpoint the cause. I have a headache at some point most days, but I sit at a desk typing on a computer keyboard 12 hrs a day, so I figure that's a contributing factor.

Headaches can also be a symptom of cervical problems, side effects of meds (such as metformin), sinus problems, eye strain, tension/stress, low or high blood sugars (i've had them with both) or high blood pressure.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

fgummett

fgummett

• Seniors
  • 7,916 posts
I also get headaches related to BS levels... usually low... and they do tend to be localised rather than all over... so it may be another sign of your body readjusting to more normal BS levels. :)

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• Seniors
  • 658 posts
Definitely loads of factors for headaches. My sugar consumption has gone down to almost nil overnight. If I have reg sugar, it's in small amounts in a prepared food. Maybe it's my Metformin, low blood sugar, or my body readjusting. I test several times a day and the #'s are still coming down. I just want the pain to go away so I can have some peace for once.

fgummett

fgummett

• Seniors
  • 7,916 posts
If you have cut back drastically on carbs that would be my prime suspect... our brains get used to being high on sugar... in fact it is one reason we overeat fast acting carbs: to get that "high". When I first cut back I get some real painful headaches but understanding why, I take Tylenol instead of food. :)

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• Seniors
  • 658 posts
I have been having these headaches since dx'd and cut back severely on carbs. That was the first of June this year. Shouldn't my body be adjusted by now? I may be expecting too much too soon. I've had milder headaches when going cold turkey off of caffeine.

fgummett

fgummett

• Seniors
  • 7,916 posts
I'm 5+ years post-diagnosis and still get them on occasion :) Like Linda says, there are many reasons to get an headache... I am offering my own observation.

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• Seniors
  • 658 posts
Oh yes, I understand. There are so many differing factors of why we get headaches. I am just praying it's not arteritis. I don't think I could handle another problem in my body. First it was Parathyoidism is 2005 and now Diabetes in 2008. Sometimes I just want to curl up in a tight ball and cry. :(

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,059 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
From what I have read and seen regarding temporal arteritis, its usually seen in women over 60. I had a neighbor who had it, and she had more problems than just headache, with vision changes and drooping eyelid as well.

If i'm not mistaken, they can also draw a sed rate which will show inflammation as part of the diagnosing process.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

fgummett

fgummett

• Seniors
  • 7,916 posts
Stress, Tension, Over-Worrying, and Over-Thinking things can also cause headaches :) Take some time for yourself, go for a walk in nature, get some fresh air and take your mind off things for a while...

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• Seniors
  • 658 posts

From what I have read and seen regarding temporal arteritis, its usually seen in women over 60. I had a neighbor who had it, and she had more problems than just headache, with vision changes and drooping eyelid as well.

If i'm not mistaken, they can also draw a sed rate which will show inflammation as part of the diagnosing process.

This headache started back in Feb of this year when I had the flu. I sneezed and it felt like the side of my head would explode. After a few weeks, it subsided but has since come back. When I was taking Lisinopril, I developed that cough which in turn made my head hurt in that same spot. I'm not 60 and don't have drooping eyelids. What is a sed rate?

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,059 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
Sed rate or ESR is a blood test that is drawn to measure for inflammation in the body. Different problems/conditions can cause it to be elevated or lowered.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.

slipperyelm

slipperyelm

• Seniors
  • 1,465 posts
I've never heard of a "diabetic headache." If you are not having pointedly high or low BG , I would be slow to blame the headaches on diabetes. I think the cause of some recurring or persistent headaches are never pinned down.

All my life, including in the 15 years with diabetes, I have not had lots of headaches. Sometimes six or eight months go by with no headache. When I do get one it is mild, and a single aspirin takes care of it. Usually it is related to either hayfever or bright sun. I have migraine auras but never a migraine headache.

EllieK

EllieK

• Members
  • 228 posts
In trying to weed out the obvious - have you been to a chiropractor recently? Or a massage therapist? The nerves and fascia that are hooked into that location come from much lower down - an issue somewhere else could be causing the pain in your head (especially when localized - makes me think on the tension, constriction side of things) The other reason I ask is because of how you said it started. When you sneezed you could have pulled something out of whack and it just can't seem to get back into place (being sick at the time also doesn't help). Has anyone looked at your neck or upper back to see if any veribrae or ribs are out? If you do go to someone - also make sure they take a look at your hip alignment too.

Hope they get better soon - I know all too well what having continuous headaches is like...
Ellie

"It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts." J.M. Laurence

Jan 08 6.0:D
April 08 6.2
July 08 6.5 :confused:
Oct 08 5.8:eek: :D

No meds (right now)
No grain
No chemicals

Vitamins, lots of exercise

soso

soso

• Seniors
  • 1,599 posts
I get headaches when I am getting low, it is often my first sign, also when I first started using Novorapid I had headaches that came on 15 minutes after the shot and lasted about 3-4 hours...that went on for a good few months..
SoSo

Dx Sept 2004
A1c 5.5
MDI

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• Seniors
  • 658 posts

In trying to weed out the obvious - have you been to a chiropractor recently? Or a massage therapist? The nerves and fascia that are hooked into that location come from much lower down - an issue somewhere else could be causing the pain in your head (especially when localized - makes me think on the tension, constriction side of things) The other reason I ask is because of how you said it started. When you sneezed you could have pulled something out of whack and it just can't seem to get back into place (being sick at the time also doesn't help). Has anyone looked at your neck or upper back to see if any veribrae or ribs are out? If you do go to someone - also make sure they take a look at your hip alignment too.

Hope they get better soon - I know all too well what having continuous headaches is like...

Ellie, you may be on to something here. It's possible I may have something out of whack. My hips ache from time to time while sleeping because they can wake me up when I need to roll over and it hurts! Also, when I do circles with my head, to stretch the neck muscles, at a certain spot there is a popping sound and feeling in my neck. I've also had a little problem with my sciatica nerve too. Sounds like I need to go have a chiropractor take a look.

I explained all this to my primary and I end up on Veramyst... go figure. lol!

EllieK

EllieK

• Members
  • 228 posts
Better an adjustment than more drugs IMHO :)
Hope it helps!
Keep us posted.
Ellie

"It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts." J.M. Laurence

Jan 08 6.0:D
April 08 6.2
July 08 6.5 :confused:
Oct 08 5.8:eek: :D

No meds (right now)
No grain
No chemicals

Vitamins, lots of exercise

-sammy-

-sammy-

• Members
  • 152 posts
yep i get headaches with high blood sugars, when im stressed, and when i have been on here to long haha and when im tired tooo

alyson

alyson

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Oh yes, I understand. There are so many differing factors of why we get headaches. I am just praying it's not arteritis. I don't think I could handle another problem in my body. First it was Parathyoidism is 2005 and now Diabetes in 2008. Sometimes I just want to curl up in a tight ball and cry. :(

I was so sad to see someone hurting so much...I was diagnosed with non hodgkins lymphoma in 2012 for which there is no cure and now have diabetes; I once waited till my kids and husband were all out and just sat and screamed for a minute to get it all out of my system. I wish I could make all this pain go away so that no one has to suffer but sometimes curling up into a tight ball and crying is probably what we all need to do, and as with a good old scream it probably helps to let it all out....blessings to you...aly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users