- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Marny

Marny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi! I'm new. Diagnosed as "pre-diabetic" 1AC 7.1. Thank goodness I found this forum - advice I have been given didn't include carbs to any great degree, only sugar and fat (as my cholesterol is 5.94). Will read and contribute as often as I am able. My faith in the doctor just took a wallop - probably better to listen to those who have experience in coping. Does natural yogurt have any value here?;)

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,118 posts
Welcome Marny,

Many of us dislike the term pre-D. IMO you are diabetic that can control it iwithout meds. You are still susceptible to all teh risks.

Natural yogurt is a real food, and IMO real foods have a place in every diet. Whether you can tolerate the carbs is a personal matter reflected in both high BGs and weight.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

Marny

Marny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry John - XMenace - I seem to have "foot & mouth" problems before I even start. I don't even understand all the numbers. Hope the "Troll Meter" is not my fault too (or directed at me for that matter). I'm just trying to learn something from the people most qualified to teach. Be nice.

Harold

Harold

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,170 posts
Hi Marny,

John's Troll meter resides in his signature and shows up in all of his posts. No, it's not directed at you. Besides it reads cool at the moment. I'm surprised that your doc said Pre-D with an A1c of 7.1. Your best course is to consider yourself fully D with reservations and threat yourself like it's full blown. Say you get you A1c down in the mid to low 5s without meds for a year or so. Then you can tell yourself you were Pre-D.

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• 500 plus
  • 7,771 posts
  • LocationHastings Melbourne Australia
  • I am a:Type 1
Hello Marny, Welcome to Diabetes Forums.
It's a good thing that being diagnosed now at 7.1 other than 50+ and thin as death warmed up as I was 37 years ago and now getting the complications. John and myself have eye problems as this happens first to most diabetics.
By being diagnosed now will better fend off the complications as you will practice good Blood Glucose control. :)

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

GeorgeGuinn

GeorgeGuinn

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
The Troll Meter wasn't directed at you. And he wasn't being critical just being honest.

If yogurt is one of the things you love the test your reaction to it and decided if the increase in BG is worth it. I personally love apples and bread so have chosen to include them as part of my carb allowance every day.
Type 2 since 1998.
Janumet 50-1000mg x2
Lantus 75 units
Started Novolog 7/4/08
Averaging 25-30 units per day
06/08 A1C 8.2 :(
09/08 A1C 6.6
04/09 A1C 6.2
07/09 A1C 6.5

owlyn

owlyn

• 500 plus
  • 1,475 posts
"Almost diabetic" is the same as "almost pregnant". With an A1C of 7.1, welcome to the club, and you may as well start shopping for a new doctor now. Telling you that you are pre-diabetic is wrong as was the lack of proper information as to what to do.
Posted Image
Unless otherwise stated, the opinions expressed here are my own and are in no way intended to be considered as anything other than my opinion. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,055 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Hi Marny, welcome to the forums! An A1C of 7.1 correlates to a 90 day blood sugar average of 175, meaning sometimes you were lower, sometimes higher than that #. Normal A1C according to the lab I use is between 4 and 6. 7.1 is a little high IMO to be considered "pre-diabetic." I'd consider myself T2 and plan my diet/exercise/lifestyle accordingly.

A great way to decide what foods are best for you is to eat, then test your blood sugar 2 hrs after the first bite...you'll be able to make smarter food choices that way. I was given the goal of 140 or less 2 hrs after my first bite, and 110 or less fasting. If a food pushed me over 140, I knew it was something to avoid. I kept a food journal at first, listing my menus and corresponding blood sugars. Before too long, I had a good variety of blood-sugar friendly foods to choose from.

I'd recommend a book "The First Year, Type II Diabetes," by Gretchen Becker...it has a lot of good information for you and is written in an easy to read format.

Hope you post often, there's lots of friendly folks ready to offer advice and support.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
Welcome to the forum, Marny. Nice folks and plenty of valuable information here that will help you.

Karen

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,234 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
Hi Marny and Welcome to our little corner of the internet.

You don't have "foot in mouth" disease at all, just diabetes. ;) We have all been new at one time or another and we are ALL still learning.

With an A1c of 7.1, I would definitely say you have diabetes. Counting carbs will become a way of life for you and you will actually do it without thinking over time. Natural yogurt, with no sugar added or fruit syrup is ok. However it does have lactose in it so your blood sugar will go up. Milk products make my blood sugar rise pretty rapidly.

Read lots here and ask questions. There are good people here with great advice.

Welcome :wavey:
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ShottleBop

ShottleBop

• 500 plus
  • 6,639 posts
According to this article, Johns Hopkins is recommending that anyone with an HbA1c of 6.5 or higher be diagnosed as diabetic, and anyone with an HbA1c of 6.0 to 6.5 should be diagnosed as pre-diabetic.
Functionally, a Type 2 (missed the label by th-a-a-a-a-t much)
Dx prediabetic 02/08 (FBG 127 and 123), A1c 6.5
So far, controlled without meds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users