Photo

who never use alcohol before injection ?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

knight191

knight191

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I'm inconvenience to use alcohol to clean my skin before injection. I'd like to know who never use alcohol and is there any infect?

I'm thin but before shot I think I pull my skin enough. Why I found a little bleeding after injection?

Thanks
2006 Dx T2
2008 A1C = 11% and Dx T1
2009 A1C = 5.5% :)
Insulin: Humalog + Lantus

Cormac_Doyle

Cormac_Doyle

• 500 plus
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationIreland (For Now)
  • I am a:Type 1
I've been injecting insulin since September 1999 ... and I have *never* used alcohol wipes or similar.

I've also never had any infections.

Obviously, you have to make sure your hands are clean, the skin is clean and the needle is clean ... but assuming you shower regularly and you aren't actually rolling in mud or dripping sweat, you don't need to take any special steps to clean the injection site.

HbA1c
2007/2008 - Sept 07: 10.9; Feb 08: 8.5; Sept 08: 7.3;
2009 - Feb: 7.5; Apr: 6.4; Aug: 6.1;
2010 - Jan: 7.0; Mar: 6.4; Jun: 6.1; Oct: 5.9;
2011 - Jan: 6.4; Apr: 6.5; Aug: 6.3; Nov: 6.2;
2012 - Mar: 6.7; May: 6.3; June: 6.2; Sep: 5.4; Dec: 6.0;
2013 - Mar: 6.1; May: 6.5; July: 6.3; Nov: 6.1;
2014 - Apr: 6.3;

Meds - Glucophage: 2000mg; Omega 3: 4000mg; Crestor: 20mg; Victoza: 1.8mg; Humulin: 150-250 iu ( originally 1800-2400 iu daily)

Started Pump: 10th April 2011 - Minimed Paradigm Veo

Gordonm

Gordonm

• 500 plus
  • 1,512 posts
I never used it for 33 years and never had a problem. On the pump now so I do not use injections.
Type 1 since 4/74
Pump user since 10/17/06!
MM 523 pump
Bike miles
2013 3196
2014 2151 miles

NoraWI

NoraWI

• 500 plus
  • 1,734 posts
  • LocationSW Wisconsin
I agree with the previous comments... I have never used alcohol and have never had an infection. Of course, you do have to be clean and I always wash my hands before testing or handling injection materials.

The reason you sometimes see a bit of blood after injecting is that you must have hit an capillary when you inject. Capillaries are the tiniest of blood vessels that are close to the surface of the skin. Some people aspirate into the syringe before they inject insulin to see whether they are hitting a blood vessel. I don't. If there is no pain when I touch the point of the needle to my skin, then I go ahead with the injection. If I can feel the prick, then I move the needle sometimes as little as 1/8 of an inch (half a centimeter) and try again.
NoraWI
T1 since 2002, MDI since 2004
Pumping NovoLog with an Animas Ping since May 2010

Erin

Erin

• 500 plus
  • 837 posts
When I was dx I was actually told not to use alcohol on my skin!!

The doctor told me to use the alcohol to clean the tops of the insulin bottles. He said they were more likely to get dirty because the human body is self-cleaning, the plastic tops of insulin bottles are not. i.e. insulin bottles don't have an immune system.

I don't even use the alcohol on the bottles anymore, and no infections. Sometimes I hit a capillary and see a little blood, or get a bruise, but not often. It happens sometimes
That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment.
- Dorothy Parker

T1 19 years
Minimed Paradigm 522... yay!

lorkatz2004

lorkatz2004

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
are we supposed to use alcohol to wipe across the lantus top or to use on our skin??

I am too new to injecting that I do not know........I just never thought about it and the nurse who was showing me how to do this never mentioned anything about using alcohol.

Cathy

RobiJo

RobiJo

• 500 plus
  • 968 posts

I'm inconvenience to use alcohol to clean my skin before injection. I'd like to know who never use alcohol and is there any infect?

I'm thin but before shot I think I pull my skin enough. Why I found a little bleeding after injection?

Thanks

What's an alcohol swab???

Never and Never.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 Est.1984
MM 722 and CGMS; Novalog
Vitrectomies May 2007 & July 2007
Had a Baby Girl 7/2010! She is perfect!

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts
In the hospital or clinic setting there are many more people... blood, fluids and open wounds etc... and the risk of cross-contamination is much higher than at home where it is just you and your family. Trust me... you already share all your family "bugs". As above, so long as you follow general hygiene recommendations (shower, wash hands etc...) you are very unlikely to infect yourself :)

jillrapp

jillrapp

• 500 plus
  • 1,141 posts
I rub the top of the insulin bottle with a swab before pulling the meds to make sure I don't infect the bottle with anything. I want my insulin to stay good for as long as possible. Expensive stuff!
Jill in AZ

jcrome04

jcrome04

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Never used alcohol here. I've never had a problem. Doing it since I was 6.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posted Image

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,174 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
22 years of injections and I don't use alcohol and have not since the first month of injecting. Heck...I am one of those pigs that injects through clothes if I was busy. I should have some weird blood poisoning by now.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

grace girl

grace girl

• 500 plus
  • 1,500 posts
While cleaning out the bathroom cabinet last week I found a few alcohol pads leftover from when I was first dx'ed...they were dried out.
I never use alcohol and i've never had a problem.
~Holly~
Incorrectly dx'ed type 2 7/00 :eek:
Correctly dx'ed type 1 5/01
MDI
Lantus 2x daily & Humalog

Jill-O

Jill-O

• 500 plus
  • 1,656 posts
I don't use it.

Honestly, at first glance, I thought you meant the kind you drink... that's how much I don't even think of using an alcohol wipe before injecting.

Posted Image

S. Jill O'Roark -- Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit Online @
www.whinny4me.com

Lantus, Humalog, Daily Exercise

And quit bringing up our forefathers and saying they were civil libertarians. Our founding fathers would have never tolerated any of this... For God's sake, they were blowing peoples' heads off because they put a tax on their breakfast beverage. And it wasn't even coffee.” -- Dennis Miller

viranth

viranth

• 500 plus
  • 275 posts
I think the needles are sterilized, so unless you've been in sewage, you won't get an infection when injecting into your body.

owlyn

owlyn

• 500 plus
  • 1,475 posts
I never use alcohol. Well maybe a drink every now and then :) I keep citing a study that was done in Great Britan maybe 20 years ago. I can't find the refernce to it any longer, but they took 400 diabetic and split them into 2 groups of 200. One group used alcohol pads, the other did not. There were two infections reported, both in the alcohol pad group.
Posted Image
Unless otherwise stated, the opinions expressed here are my own and are in no way intended to be considered as anything other than my opinion. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

beau91

beau91

• 500 plus
  • 556 posts
At the beginning ,i used to used alcohol wipes but not anymore waist of money ,and your skin get's dry On the bottles why not but not necessary.Bye Ricky
Hi my name is Richard for short Ricky .I'm from Montreal Canada .Diabetic since 1993.

A diplomat is a man who always remembers a women birthday but never remembrs her age . Robert Frost[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Stuboy

Stuboy

• 500 plus
  • 1,956 posts
i dont use alcohol on my skin before injecting... there is a thread on here somewhere that discussed the use of alcohol wipes before injecting...

I seem to remember it being said that using an alcohol wipe is actually more likely to cause an infection than not, something about making the bacteria "angry" because alcohol doesn't actually kill bacteria!!

anyway... i dont use alcohol... i just drink it :)
Stu
Posted Image
Posted Image
Type 1 Since 24.07.2006
Pumping NovoRapid with Animas 2020MDI- Levemir & NovoRapidMDI - Lantus & NovoRapidMixtard 30

Posted Image Ya gots to work with what ya gots to work with!

mazea

mazea

• 500 plus
  • 659 posts
I use a non alchohol swab, I think the swabs are called Diabetes Ezy. Maybe I shouldn't bother, sometimes I consider not using them.

You can get infections if you don't use a sterile needle. I used to inject cows with 5 in1 and once gave a batch of cows big lumps, which stayed on their necks for years. . I was told the lump was from not keeping the hot water for cleaning the needles after each cow hot enough. So I suppose keeping a needle hygienic is really important for a cow, and probably a person too. So I always make sure my needle doesn't touch anything and is always new.

The skin is really hygienic though, skin has antibacterial properties I think. I think it;s hygenic because they always say that for a baby, you have to steralise the dummy, but you don't have to clean their thumbs as thumbs are always clean. So it is probably safe to not use the wipes when injecting.

Eddy

Eddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,242 posts

I don't use it.

Honestly, at first glance, I thought you meant the kind you drink... that's how much I don't even think of using an alcohol wipe before injecting.

I thought the same way -- and I don't use that type of alcohol, either. :)

I probably should start cleaning the vial tops again. I do splash some alcohol on my bicep (and let it evaporate entirely) if I do an IM shot... and I'll disinfect for a subcutaneous if I'm sweaty... but I've otherwise quit doing it.

alicat61

alicat61

• 500 plus
  • 1,242 posts
:) Hi,
When I first used insulin I was taught to swab the vial top and skin, Then it was found that the alcohol drys out the skin and makes it harder to inject. I was also told that to swab the vial effectively you would have to do it for over 2 minutes otherwise it was a waste of time (this was by a diabetic centre teaching health profesionals about diabetic education)
I gave up swabbing about 6 months after using insulin and have never had a problem.:)

Take care from Alicat61:)

On 5th May 2010 had a Lap Band fitted
Has changed my life
Humalog only if needed. (BGL above 6mmols)
Lantus daily
Metformin 1gm 3x a day
Propranalol 40 mgs 2 x a day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users