Blue Cross cover strips??

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

dbdb

dbdb

• 500 plus
  • 140 posts
I have a prescription for test strips (Freestlye)

These are not on BCs formulary list, and I haven't met my precription deducible, so I get only $5 off for having insurance.

I'm wondering if anyone is doing better with Blue Cross and they are covering the strips?

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,757 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
Try a different type of strips. On my insurance Lifescan (and some others) are a tier 2 item and Freestyle strips are a tier 3 item. It has to do with Freestyle not wanting to budge on test strip pricing as much as other companies.
●Blue Ash, Ohio Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

pegasus

pegasus

• 500 plus
  • 205 posts
Also, BCs are not one entity; they differ from state to state, and requirements/mandates for coverage differ from state to state. There are BC associations, but that's not the same thing. And even within BCs (as with other insurance companies) there are different plans--different deductibles, inclusions, etc.

jsntay

jsntay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Pegasus is correct, plus it depends on your particular plan as far as your co-pay or deductible. My plan, BCBS of Alabama only covers OneTouch and Accu-Chek strips.
Jason
Type 2
Diagnosed 4/2008
Initial A1C 13.9% :eek:
6/30/2008 7.2 :)
Metformin 1000mg
Glimepiride 2mg

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,109 posts
My BC covers any strip.
Michelle Oberg "yep....stop trying to make vegetables taste like meat.....you made your choice, now live with it hippies"

Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• 500 plus
  • 6,763 posts
Accu-chek and Lifescan will likely be your best bets for coverage.

terryok123

terryok123

• 500 plus
  • 122 posts
on my plan mail order is always cheaper or try Walmart.

gettingby

gettingby

• 500 plus
  • 10,035 posts
I'm getting ready to do an intense battle with BCBSNC over the next couple of days. One battle has to do with denial of 72 hr CGMS. The other battle is over strips. Unless I'm misreading something, it says in my book that strips are covered under prescription copay but the other day, I ended up paying 20% on them. Phone calls galore over the next couple of days. :mad: :mad:

:P 

~Cin~
Mom always says I'm special. Hmmm........wonder what she means by that?? LOL.
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched, they must be felt with the heart.
~Helen Keller~

barbarac

barbarac

• 500 plus
  • 345 posts
There are so many different BC's. I have Anthem (Federal) BC/BS--for civilian workers and DOD workers and others working or retired from the government.

We have a mail order choice. I pay a $35 copay (no deductible) for strips. Can get however vials my Dr. requests so far for 90 days. Any med. is $35 for 90 days, generic is $10 for 90 days.

palefacegirl03

palefacegirl03

• 500 plus
  • 1,061 posts
I have Anthem BCBS, but my prescriptions come thru Caremark,
I have $10 for generic and $20 for brand copays for 30 days.
Test strips are brand, but have a class all their own and I have paid , almost $100 to cover 90 days and that was only 550 strips, that is testing 6 times a day.
I now get my strips thru the DME part of my plan and usually have 20% as my responsibilty, but the mail order company I get my strips and pump supplies thru takes the 80% that insurance pays and considers that paid in full and I owe nothing.
Posted Image
Type 1 20 years :proud:

pumping with purple MM 722, since 9/21/07
Finally named my pump, she is PIF, that stands for purple insulin feeder :D

http://www.facebook....662&ref=profile

Scrabblechick

Scrabblechick

• 500 plus
  • 1,084 posts
Hey jsntay! Homefolks! I'm about 25 miles from Huntsville, in Decatur. Nice to have you one the forums! :)
Glycemic impact diet; exercise (jujitsu, walking); Metformin 2000 mg;
Victoza, 1.2 mg per day; Enalapril 40 mg; Prevachol
A1C, 11-10: 5.2!:elefant:
A1C, 9-1-09: 5.3!!; A1C, 5-19-09: 5.1!; A1C, 2-12-09: 5.3!; A1C, 11-14-08: 5.2!; A1C, 8-7-08: 6.3; A1C, 5-1-08: 5.6; A1C, 2-5-08: 7.4

becks7

becks7

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
We have BCBS EPO and I have a small amount of meter's and strips that are covered. I have the Freestyle Lite, strips and lancets. Although our prescription coverage goes through Envision--they're limited on what is the cheapest co-pay. Right now I get 100 strips for a $20 co-pay, and I think $10 for the lancets. I have the free Mini and would love to be able to get the testing supplies for that meter but it's not covered that I can see :(

I'm peeved right now that in order to see a Diabetes Educator for help, BCBS bills this as "outpatient" and it's a $250 co-pay :eek: I think that's insane!!!
Denice

dougjgreen

dougjgreen

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
My coverage is California HIPAA administered by Blue Cross of California. Their coverage sucks. They hit me for a $30 Copay and only cover 50 strips a month for me as a Type 2. And that's only when my non-generic deductible for the year is used up.

As a result, I blow off my insurance completely, and buy my test strips on ebay. Yes, ebay.

Depending on what brand of strips one uses, they tend to go for between $15 to $25 per 50 strips. I have found that Bayer Contour seem right now to be the cheapest, at $14-15 per box of 50 strips, sealed w/2010 exp. dates. Accu Chek Aviva tend to go for around $20 per box of 50. Freestyle and OneTouch Ultra tend to be more like $25 per 50.

necro1234

necro1234

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Ye I moved to a new job which has BCBS as their provider, the last job had Aetna who covered everything with a copay (PPO).
I just found today when I went in to get my freestyle strips that I was denied because they are not approved.

So now its back to the doctor to get a script for the "approved" meter so I can get the "approved strips".

To bad really but oh well what can you do :P

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts
I have Empire BCBS and as far as I know, all brands were covered as prescriptions and all at the generic co-pay of $10. There were not quantity limits. I use Caremark mail order to get 3 months at a time for 2 co-pays, so $20.

Now Empire BCBS will be using their own mail order pharmacy as of January 1st. They're changing the formular and imposing quantity limits on a lot of things, test strips included. They now say only 200 per month and the only brands I saw on the formulary are Accu-Chek and Lifescan. I use Lifescan, so that's not a problem, but I will have to fight them over the 200 strip limit.

My CDE already thinks I test too much so I hope she's willing to write the letter or fill out whatever form insurance requires to override the limits. I'm hypo unaware, so 6 tests isn't enough. I am using the GCMS now but it's not perfect and I have some sensors that are not reliable, and some days when a sensor dies I don't have time to insert a new one. Sometimes my skin needs a break from the sensors and all of the tape.

I thought it was interesting that even though only the 2 brands were on the formulary, every major brand was on the quantity limits list. I'm guessing that people who don't want to switch and wish to continue using Freestyle (or Bayer or whatever) strips might have to pay the non-formulary co-pay, which is $70.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

dougjgreen

dougjgreen

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
My BCBS coverage sucks. In California, my Dr. wrote a script for testing 2x a day, and BCBS took that to mean 50 strips a month, at the non-generic copay of $30 a box of 50. I get them on ebay for roughly half that price outside of my insurance.

If my Dr. changed my script to testing 3x a day, I could get 100 strips a month for the same $30 branded copay, but it's not worth the effort for me to pester my Doctor for the new script, because I can get them on ebay for roughly the same price anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users