- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

jim61

jim61

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Has anyone had Heel Spurs? If so, how was it treated? If you had surgery, did you have complications from your diabetes?

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,220 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
I have not had heel spurs jim, but I have had everything else! ;)

I have had surgery on my feet for bunions and had an osteotomy performed with screws put in the bones of my big and little toes. My surgeon did an ultrasound before surgery to make sure that the circulation in my legs and feet were adequate for healing. My feet healed beautifully with no complications. Make sure your doctor checks your circulation and keep your blood sugar in good control.

Good luck. I hear heel spurs HURT!
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bookwormy

bookwormy

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
I actually had two heel spurs in one foot before I was dx'd as diabetic type 2. It really hurt and I still taught standing and walking on it. It healed eventually putting ice on it (really a bag of frozen peas), changing shoe height several times a day, and some inflammatory meds. I do not know how treatment would change after my diabetes though. Sorry, I couldn't be anymore help.
Good luck and I feel your pain (from my memories).

Barb

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts
I had them years ago too. I was told the surgery was not always sucessful and if it was they could come back. I suffered with it, like Barb, using ice and changing shoes often, one time some drugs for infection. Then it was just gone. I don't even remember when they quit hurting. More recently, I had a spur on my knee. It hurts for awhile and you can actually see it, then it goes away for awhile. Don't ask me how that happens, confuses me too, but that is what happens.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

jim61

jim61

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the information. I've had them for several months with no relief in sight. I'm going to an Orthopedic Surgeon in just over a week.

mzteacher

mzteacher

Youthful Senior Member

• 500 plus
  • 2,294 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
hi jim,
i don't have them but my assistant does....she had a series of cortisone shots in her heels...seems to have helped...
good luck
susan

davef

davef

• 500 plus
  • 8,188 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
I have had 2-3 occurences of heel spurs, boy can they be painful. The first time we (me and doctor) tried treating them by getting a physiotherapist to bind my heel with tape so as to form a "pocket" while it eased the pain slightly I found it to be very uncomfortable.

My Doctor did mention that steroid injections or surgery were an option, I never went down either route.

The other times I got it, I just grinned and beared it and treated with Ibuprofen. It take take some months to clear, certainly your choice in shoes can help. I made sure to wear shoes with plenty of cushioning on the heal. When at home I don't like wear shoes in the house, but found a spongy pair of sandals/flip flops helped a great deal.

This was all before I was DX'ed. If it occurs again I think I'd try to steroids so long as it didn't effect my control. Of course having the pain would probably push my numbers up anyway!

Good luck with your treatment, I really do feel your pain.

0F869DE117BBAE6820F3DD49C762BF1A.png

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 50u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.

A1c

Most recent 08/09/14: 8.2% (down 3.4%)

20/11/13: 11.6%

Evermont

Evermont

• 500 plus
  • 3,368 posts
Often people think "heel spur" when the real problem is a thing called Plantar fasciitis (link). Just something else to consider.

Plantar fasciitis is a painful inflammatory condition of the foot caused by excessive wear to the plantar fascia that supports the arch or by biomechanical faults that cause abnormal pronation.[1] The pain usually is felt on the underside of the heel, and is often most intense with the first steps of the day. It is commonly associated with long periods of weight bearing or sudden changes in weight bearing or activity. Obesity, weight gain, jobs that require a lot of walking on hard surfaces, shoes with little or no arch support, and inactivity are also associated with the condition.

Plantar fasciitis was formerly called "a dog's heel" in the United Kingdom. It is sometimes known as "flip-flop disease" among US podiatrists. The condition often results in a heel spur on the calcaneus, in which case it is the underlying condition, and not the spur itself, which produces the pain.[1]

The cure for DW was to spend less time walking around the house barefoot, and holding the baby while standing barefoot. It took a while but she's much better now.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,044 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I had heel spurs before diagnosis, had cortisone shot in my heel and it took care of things. I still have a few visible on x-ray that haven't bothered me so far...I hate to deal with the blood sugar elevations on the shots.

I've not known anyone who had the surgery personally.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

jim61

jim61

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
My Primary Care Physician originally thought it would be Plantar Fasciitis. He treated me and I did the exercises but nothing helped. He thinks it's the heel spur causing the problem therefore he bypassed the Podiatrist and the Cortisone shots. I see the Orthopedic Surgeon on the 27th.
I've tried exercises, hot and cold treatments, anti-inflammatories but nothing has really helped. It's really gotten worse over the last week or two to the point I limp when I walk.

Noturningback

Noturningback

• 500 plus
  • 218 posts
I had them years ago - prediabetes. I was given orthotics told to stop wearing my clogs - LOL. I loved those clogs but they had a wood base. Okay - I was very young. It eventually went away but, admittedly it took about a year to stop the morning pain.

~Danielle
"Never eat more than you can lift."
--Miss Piggy

A1C- 7/01/08= 6.5% :cool:

Low carbing since diagnosis. I'm down 22 pounds.

No Meds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users