Elevated WBC & Diabetes

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Noturningback

Noturningback

• 500 plus
  • 218 posts
I have had elevated white blood cells count for over two years now. We thought it may be allergies but, after medication still elevated. We then thought chronic tonsillitis but, after T&A surgery, still elevated. Now that I have been diagnosed T2, I asked my doctor if there is a correlation between the two. He claims no but, when I google it, I come up with various different articles/medical transcript/studies. Some quite confusing. My WBC at diagnosis was 14.8. Reference range 3.8-10.8.

Does anyone know if there is a connection?

Just one interesting NYT article.

Very curious,
~Danielle
"Never eat more than you can lift."
--Miss Piggy

A1C- 7/01/08= 6.5% :cool:

Low carbing since diagnosis. I'm down 22 pounds.

No Meds

BriOnH

BriOnH

• 500 plus
  • 2,607 posts
If it's just diabetes the answer is no. There is no correlation between just diabetes and a WBC count. Now if you have a disease or factor other then diabetes, say AIDS, or certain Cancers, the stress with diabetes is then a factor.

Noturningback

Noturningback

• 500 plus
  • 218 posts
They haven't found any diseases. Couldn't chronic mild inflammation be a possible factor?

~Danielle
--Miss Piggy

No Meds

BriOnH

BriOnH

• 500 plus
  • 2,607 posts

They haven't found any diseases. Couldn't chronic mild inflammation be a possible factor?

~Danielle

Absolutely. Inflammation triggers an immune response and will kick up you WBC count.

Noturningback

Noturningback

• 500 plus
  • 218 posts
I'm playing devil's advocate because I truly feel that there is *some* kind of connection between the two. It's not that I think you are wrong.

So , doesn't syndrome X or IR lead to inflammation?

I guess than diabetes would just be another symptom of IR and part of what was called metabolic syndrome.

~Danielle
--Miss Piggy

No Meds

BrianSCohen

BrianSCohen

• 500 plus
  • 645 posts
Danielle,

I can tell you that when your body is fighting an infection, you will have elevated WBC and your blood sugar will be elevated. I know that I when I treated my periodontal disease, I had a dramatic drop in my blood sugars. I would postulate that I had ongoing elevated WBC when I had an inflamed periodontal infection.

The article you refer to is from 2004 and talks about
Dr. Denise Faustman, a very respected diabetic researcher. She argues that WBC itself attacks the pancreas actually causing damage. Of this I am not so clear about. I do know that as a marker for ongoing infection elevated WBC and elevated blood sugars go hand in hand.
...brian

T2 since 7/05. 48 yrs. 5'11 195 lbs.
Exercise, very low carb diet
HbA1c 9/07 - 6.3%, 3/08 - 6.2%, 6/08 - 6.2%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users