• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

ColoradoDude

ColoradoDude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Everybody,

Im new here, so nice to meet everyone, I discovered that I am a type 2 several months ago... so ive cut out all refined sugar as I can identify and stay away from, Ive dropped sodas like a hot rock and only have ice water, sparkling carbonated water, or unsweetened tea, and am eating well. I can say how much better I am feeling !

My reason for writing is the seemingly endless quest for some kind of replacment for tortilla chips ( gotta have my salsa)

I have found something GREAT!

MULTI-WHOLE GRAIN TORTILLA CHIPS..
made with Brown Rice, Flaxseed, and organic corn.
THEY TASTE AWESOME !!!

They are made by a company called R.W. GARCIA , I found them at Safeway in the Health foods section.
Big Bag was $4.50

the specs on the Nutrition list was probably not completly outstanding but it was a heck of alot better than regular chips

Anyone else try these yet?

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
I haven't heard of them at all, but will have to look for them the next time I do my shopping.

I did look up the company but unfortunately, they do not give nutritional info on their website.

Karen

GeorgeGuinn

GeorgeGuinn

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
Netrition carries them and has the nutrition info on this page. The look ok but still 17 net carbs for 7 chips. My problem is I wouldn't be able to stop at 14 or even 28 chips.

R.W. Garcia Tortilla Chips
Type 2 since 1998.
Janumet 50-1000mg x2
Lantus 75 units
Started Novolog 7/4/08
Averaging 25-30 units per day
06/08 A1C 8.2 :(
09/08 A1C 6.6
04/09 A1C 6.2
07/09 A1C 6.5

Noturningback

Noturningback

• 500 plus
  • 218 posts
On rare occasions, I have a few Garden of Eatin Black Bean Tortilla Chips. I'm waiting for the next blue moon to enjoy one. :o

~Danielle
"Never eat more than you can lift."
--Miss Piggy

A1C- 7/01/08= 6.5% :cool:

Low carbing since diagnosis. I'm down 22 pounds.

No Meds

DaveUK

DaveUK

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Hi ColoradoDude, just wanted to make you feel welcome. Nice to meet you as well.

Dave

ColoradoDude

ColoradoDude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The look ok but still 17 net carbs for 7 chips.

OK, since im new to this stuff, 17 net carbs means what ?

is there a total amount of carbs per day that you should
stay below ?

At this point I dont think that Im going to get all involved in
counting this and that... im more going to concentrait on the
bigger picture, overall consumption of lean meats, no sodas candy white breads potatoes regular chips no junk food eat
good fruits like apples oranges and bannanas, eggs , good soups..ect ect... basically cut out as much sugar as possible
and stay off the hi carbs...

volleyball

volleyball

• 500 plus
  • 2,040 posts
Dude, you can put salsa on lots of things. And the recipe you gave tells me I won't go out of my way to buy those chips. I see no big difference. If you can stop yourself at a handful, go for it. I still take a few and crush and put in my salads, a little goes a long way.
As for the sugar, I have no problem with a limited amount. It's the corn syrup that you need to watch.
Apples,oranges and bananas, add grapes to the list and you have the fruits we seem to have to most worry about. I have apple trees so you know I am going to eat some, but the others are easier to limit.
That is what works for me, we are all different.
Diabetes is a condition that you have to manage or it will manage you. The care team is only there in a supporting role

GeorgeGuinn

GeorgeGuinn

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

The look ok but still 17 net carbs for 7 chips.

OK, since im new to this stuff, 17 net carbs means what ?

is there a total amount of carbs per day that you should
stay below ?

At this point I dont think that Im going to get all involved in
counting this and that... im more going to concentrait on the
bigger picture, overall consumption of lean meats, no sodas candy white breads potatoes regular chips no junk food eat
good fruits like apples oranges and bannanas, eggs , good soups..ect ect... basically cut out as much sugar as possible
and stay off the hi carbs...

I am trying to eat less than 120 carbs per day so if I eat 28 chips then I have eaten 78 carbs over half my daily allowance.

The things you list that you are cutting out are the high carb foods, so you will end up eating a lower amount of carbs. Because I am taking insulin I have to count the carbs I consume to calculate how much insulin to inject. Also the more carbs I eat the more insulin I have to inject. I am at a different place in the life cycle of the disease than you :( So have to be stricter with my intake of food.
Type 2 since 1998.
Janumet 50-1000mg x2
Lantus 75 units
Started Novolog 7/4/08
Averaging 25-30 units per day
06/08 A1C 8.2 :(
09/08 A1C 6.6
04/09 A1C 6.2
07/09 A1C 6.5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users