Photo

what do u take for flu/fever when ur sick?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

singh

singh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
hy guys
As diabetic its very hard to find any good medicine of shelf in pharmacy so i was wonderin what u guys take , i am havin flu/cold sore throat headache for 2 days nw?

Regards
Singh

simmons5

simmons5

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
welcome to the club I've been under the weather for 2 days now and I'll take things like advil and such but I hate reading on the labels of everything "Don't take if you have DIABETES"

nicole

nicole

Banned

• Banned
  • 308 posts
When I'm feeling like that I generally take Advil, Nyquil, Dayquil, and even that nasty Diabetitussin. I don't like to take anything usually and just let it run its course, because most of the time medicine doesn't do it for me.
NICOLE

With the most amazing people in your life, anythings possible.

Gordonm

Gordonm

• Seniors
  • 1,515 posts
I take whatever works. Most of those warning labels are just to protect the drug compainies in case something happens. I am healthier than most people out there except for diabetes and they can take the same drugs. I don't worry about it.
Type 1 since 4/74
Pump user since 10/17/06!
MM 523 pump
Bike miles
2013 3196
2014 2790 miles

nicole

nicole

Banned

• Banned
  • 308 posts
I never read the labels I just take whats in the medicine cabinet if I really have to, and theres no advil or anything.
NICOLE

With the most amazing people in your life, anythings possible.

singh

singh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
ya guys i hate that when medicine label says dont take if u have diabetes , my doc has told me to take claritin-d for now eventhough it also says same thing on label

DanG

DanG

• Seniors
  • 967 posts

As diabetic its very hard to find any good medicine of shelf in pharmacy so i was wonderin what u guys take , i am havin flu/cold sore throat headache for 2 days nw?

Why medicine?
How about food?
There are foods that are great at killing some of these things in our system.
For stomach flu, ever since I was a kid, we always took garlic oil perles. I learned 45 years ago that these garlic oil perles keep the vomit away. And, if I take the garlic too late in the cycle of sick, I at least do not vomit with as much horrible violence. I say, take garlic oil perles - not the ones that say deodorized - take the ones that make you stink. My firm belief is that the garlic stink chases the bugs away.

Garlic stink is great for many things other than stomach flu. It really does a job at chasing many of these maladies away. I also heard recently that the tanins in green tea do a number against many maladies.

Another interesting health thing is H. Pylori which is prevalent in stomach ulcer production, but also quite good for many other maladies - here is the article:
Symbiosis | The twists and turns of fate | Economist.com

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,272 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
I always get cough syrup with codeine from my doctor. None of the over the counter stuff really works anyhow. It just keeps me awake when I want to sleep. Nyquil will work at first, then I wake up at about three in the morning and stare at the ceiling. Codeine all the way!
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

KCP

KCP

• Members
  • 427 posts
I usually try herbal ways to get better to be honest.. SO Olive leaf extract, garlic etc etc..
I dont use cough syrups etc. And if im in need of sugar for BS's or hydration i use flat lemonade,, just a little..
T1 for 21 years, PCOS. split dose Lantus, NovoRapid & Metformin.
DP - IT extraordinare
Darling daughter arrived 15/09/12 :love:
DSS - Think your stressed? Try having AUTISM

Feb 10 = 7.1
Feb 11 = 7.3
Apr 11 = 7.6
Jul 11 = 7.3
Oct = 7.2
Jan 12 = 7.4
Apr 12 = 6.2
July 12 = 6
Oct 12 = 7

TenderVittleS

TenderVittleS

Banned

• Banned
  • 387 posts
All I take is a crapload of vitamin C. Always works!! Oh yeah and lots a water.
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate." - Thomas Watson

Mich

Mich

• Seniors
  • 2,242 posts
I have the same routine every time. It works well for me, it's mostly common sense. I also test every hour or two, I set the alarm to do this if I am nauseated.

For a cold or allergies with mild fever(go to work): Contac Tablets "Day and Night" Yellow for day, blue for night. Lots of water and tea. Sleep when I get home.

For a cold with fever & aches: Ibuprofen, lots of clear liquids and SLEEP in a quiet room. For congestion, night (blue) contact.

For stomach flu or other throwing up: diet 7-UP or diet Coke. Very cold, small sips at a time. Sleep as much as possible. Watch blood sugar closely.

Our family's choice of Best ever "Knock you out so you can sleep" cough medicine from doctor: Tussionex Pennkinetic. Contains both hyrdocodone and an antihistimine, so don't take CONTAC at the same time. One bottle lasted the whole family three years! Worked even after the expiration date. One teaspoon is good for the whole night. You would want to discuss it with your doctor as it is indeed strong stuff.

Remember, diabetics need to carefully watch not to become dehydrated with high sugars, as it can lead to DKA.

This is just common sense stuff, and my opinion. I'm not a professional doctor, just a long-time-diabetic.;)

xMenace

xMenace

• Seniors
  • 11,121 posts
Rum :rock:

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

kgm0612

kgm0612

• Seniors
  • 7,672 posts
I swear by Nyquil & Dayquil liqui-gels. The always work great for me and I find they don't raise my BS.

Karen

Evermont

Evermont

• Seniors
  • 3,370 posts
I take no OTC meds. I also take no herbal or home remedies of any sort. Basically I can expect to get a mild cold every 2 or 3 years. Last time I vomited I think Nixon was president.

Am I freak or just lucky? Maybe I'm doing something right.

dgrilli

dgrilli

• Seniors
  • 773 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
Try 4000mg of Liquid Vit D-3 Gel Caps and SamBucal.

Medtronic Revel 723NAL 05-07-2014

Animas One Touch Ping 12-03-2008
Animas 1250 Pump 7-24-2006
Animas 2020 Pump 9-04-2007
Medtronic Guardian REAL-Time 11-13-2007

davef

davef

• Seniors
  • 8,192 posts
  • I am a:Type 2

Last time I vomited I think Nixon was president.

Hmm, I wonder if there's a link between the two.

Am I freak or just lucky?

I'm f i n d i n g h a r d t o r e s i s t a n s w e r i n g t h i s ..... ;)

0F869DE117BBAE6820F3DD49C762BF1A.png

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 50u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.

A1c

Most recent 08/09/14: 8.2% (down 3.4%)

20/11/13: 11.6%

Gwen M

Gwen M

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
whenever my kids our sick they crave these foodsget jelly, fruit and eggs for protein. Ignore the labels just take the medication in moderation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users