Photo

Are there any bad side effect from some fresh vegetable. If I eat a lot veg per day

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

knight191

knight191

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Are there any bad side effect from fresh veg (without heat cooking) If I eat a lot in salad everyday.

e.g. carrot, purple cabbage, tomato, cucumber, etc.

Thanks
2006 Dx T2
2008 A1C = 11% and Dx T1
2009 A1C = 5.5% :)
Insulin: Humalog + Lantus

parrotletzoo

parrotletzoo

• Seniors
  • 740 posts
If you're body's not accustomed to it, you might get some bad gas. ;) Gradually increasing the amount of high fiber foods you eat each day might help minimize that effect.

Vegetables are good for you. Some have more carbs then others so check the carb content of what you're eating before indulging or they may effect your blood sugar levels. I've never heard of any kind of toxic effect of eating too many vegetables unless they were contaminated prior to eating them (ie recent ecoli scare with tomatos). So yeah, washing your food first is a good idea. :)
IDDM since jan 1980
Mom's day 2006 recieved islet transplant, off insulin as of July 14, 2006.
for more infomation visit http://www.thechicag...e Magazine2.pdf

davef

davef

• Seniors
  • 8,220 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
As parrotletzoo said, you may get gas but that should ease as your body gets used to what you are eating.

As with all foods, eat and then test so that you know that what you are eating works for you. Watch things like corn, it's lovely on a salad but I need to be very careful with the amount I eat.

0F869DE117BBAE6820F3DD49C762BF1A.png

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 50u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.

A1c

Most recent 08/09/14: 8.2% (down 3.4%)

20/11/13: 11.6%

xMenace

xMenace

• Seniors
  • 11,125 posts
You'll get stinkier and multi-colored stools:eek:

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

davef

davef

• Seniors
  • 8,220 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
One thing to watch might be carrots. When my son was around 1 year old, he loved a mix of carrots and potatoes my wife made in a blender. He started to turn orange, not good when he was a red head anyway. Doctor told us to back off on the carrots.

0F869DE117BBAE6820F3DD49C762BF1A.png

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 50u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.

A1c

Most recent 08/09/14: 8.2% (down 3.4%)

20/11/13: 11.6%

patricia52

patricia52

• Seniors
  • 2,513 posts
Doctor told my daughter-in-law that sweet potatoes and carrots were causing my granddaughter to have an orange nose. It has gone away since she eats more different foods now that she is older.
One benefit of eating more vegetables is that they are packed with vitamins. But, I have noticed that when I eat carrots my BG seems to spike. I still eat them but I just limit them to just a few bites at a meal.
Like the others said, make sure you wash raw vegetables very carefully before you eat them.
Patricia

Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Lantus
Apidra
Diet & Exercise
Most recent A1C 5.6

HelenM

HelenM

• Seniors
  • 1,029 posts
No, I think salads are very good for you. I have at least one large salad a day and then lots of cooked veg at the other main meal. I usually dress it simply with oil, vinegar and garlic. I sometimes also add some nuts or seeds. Apart from having diabetes I feel extremely healthy.
( perhaps because I'm used to lots of veg, I do find that I feel bloated and 'bunged up' if I don't get my normal amount')
I always do a rough estimate of the carbs in the veg, veg such as carrots,(very rare cos its the one I don't really like) beetroot and corn it can have significant amounts and count it in my insulin calculations.
Vitamin A excess ( from the beta-carotene in carrots) is extremely unlikely in an adult from food sources. (though can happen if you take too much from vitamin pills.)

Evermont

Evermont

• Seniors
  • 3,373 posts
I'm with you Helen.

If eating this way causes problems then I would have been in trouble YEARS ago.

I'll spare you all the rehash of all the good things about eating fresh veggies - unless anyone wants to hear it again.

I did learn recently that cooked carrots are slightly healthier than raw, as are a couple other veggies, because the nutrients become more "bio available". This means that when you eat them raw, some of the goodness slips past your digestive system. Raw is still very healthy in general, just not quite as healthy as cooked for certain specific veggies.

GretchO

GretchO

• Seniors
  • 945 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
yes, Kieth...carrots and tomatoes (especially)...the longer tomatoes are cooked the more available some nutrients become (lycopene).
Gretchen

MM 522 pump since 05/07; CGMS since 11/07

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be devoured by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users