- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

TheMachinist

TheMachinist

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
I love to eat but I try to eat in small portions at a time. What's the best way to eat if I go to the buffets in Las Vegas.

I'm a bit overweight (5'-9 and 169 lbs) but I do try to watch what I eat and control my BG between 90 - 130.:)

soso

soso

• 500 plus
  • 1,599 posts
I've done the Vegas buffets and thought there were loads of excellent choices... there are also a lot of delicious yet dangerous choices...ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chance....

I love it though... my faves are Bellagio Wynn Paris and Planet Hollywood..
yum.
SoSo

Dx Sept 2004
A1c 5.5
MDI

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,165 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
Buffets are set up so you fill your plates with the least expensive food first. Pasta, salad, bread..... Go to the far end and stock up on lots of protein and leave the carbs till the end.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Handybear

Handybear

• 500 plus
  • 269 posts
I spent a week eating at the buffets in Vegas. The trick is to head for the salad and meat. Stay away from the pasta.
At the end of the week I actually lost 2 lbs!
Protons have mass?
I didn't even know they were Catholic!

Diagnosed type 2 on 11-11-06. Wgt 251, A1C 6.1
Diet control only!
Currently 177 lbs, A1C 5.6, cholesterol 160, LDL 95,HDL
53, triglycerides 37. BP 110/70

BigcityRich

BigcityRich

• 500 plus
  • 198 posts
I do enjoy a buffett every once in a while. I make a point to start with salad, then go for the meat and more veggies. Stay away from bread, pasta, rice, anything with gravy and anything breaded, and that sundae bar!

There are nasties at the salad bar too. I enjoy sun flower seeds instead of croutons. Dressing on the side instead of slathering the whole salad.

I have always had great self control at the buffet.

Weakness - I'm doomed with a chinese buffet. :eek:
Richard

Type 2 since 2/07
Metformin ER 750mg 3x daily
Glipizide 5mg 2x daily

HbA1c
2/07 - 10.3%
6/07 - 6.0%
2/08 - 6.2%
7/08 - 6.0%
2/09 - 5.9%

ihd1111

ihd1111

• 500 plus
  • 130 posts
Let's be real here, people. Diabetes and buffets are cohorts in some very bad dealings. I for one do not have the cojones to resist their temptations, but if you do, more power to you.
IHD1111

Diagnosed Spring 2004
Last A1C: 6.4

cyberus

cyberus

• 500 plus
  • 1,182 posts
Oriental buffets with mongolian BBQ FTW.

Huge plate of stir fried meat with free veggies :)
As always YMMV!

Diagnosed: July 3 2008
A1C- 7/08= 10.6 :eek: 11/08 = 5.6 5/09= 5.3 11/09 = 5.6 :D
triglycerides - 7/08 = 192 :( 11/2008 = 84 11/09 = 66 :D
HDL - 7/08 = 46 :( 11/2008 = 74 11/09 = 79 :D
LDL - 7/08 = 106 :( 11/2008 = 80 11/09 = 65 :D

Low Carb Diet (15-50g/day)
Metformin ER 500mg 2x day
Neurontin 800mg 3x day
Meloxicam 15mg 1x day (arthritis)
Multivitamin, B12, fish oil

shutterbug

shutterbug

• 500 plus
  • 778 posts
I have been to many buffets.. I stick to chicken and gree salads and just have very small portions of carbs (pasta/rice/bread) at the end.
Posted Image

Diagnosed - 02/28/08

A1C - (8/10/2009= 5.7; 03/02/09 = 5.6 ; 12/29/08 = 5.8 ; 09/17/08 = 5.5 ; 05/27/08 = 5.7 ; 04/03/08 = 7.7 ; 02/29/08 = 10.1)

owlyn

owlyn

• 500 plus
  • 1,474 posts
The buffets in Vegas are actually overpriced. People assume that they are a good value because they also assume that all the restaurants in Vegas are expensive. The buffets are tailored to people who get quantity and quality confused. Not that the food is bad, but if you're not eating a lot of food (and we shouldn't be pigging out), you can eat much better for the same money by choosing restaurants carefully. We ate very well in Vegas for not a lot of money and never hit a buffet once. Our stops included places such as Mon Ami Gabi, on the first floor of Paris. We had a table overlooking the Belagio Fountains. I think our meal came to less than $50. Similar in price to a buffet for two, but fabulous food in a fabulous atmosphere.
Posted Image
Unless otherwise stated, the opinions expressed here are my own and are in no way intended to be considered as anything other than my opinion. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

maya0606

maya0606

• 500 plus
  • 218 posts
The best thing to do is pick on the fish and chicken all the protein with no carbs and with veggies usualy they have veggy soups too and than for desert I eat cake and here we go youd be able to put less insuline and no weigh gain. Honestly its hard to do this, I myself find it hard to look ar the food that you want to eat but you know you can not touch, it sucks1111 but you just need dedication & motivation!!!

you eat to live and not live to eat!!

Type 1 since 1999
Humolog & Lantus
A1C : 8.2

everett

everett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello. Im still learning what to eat was told had type 2 diabetes in middle july I go back tomorrow for next A1C I hope its gone down. But ive eaten Golden Corral cause I work on road a lot and its easier for me to eat their. but ive been wondering about like fruits. I eat cantelope and melons and sometimes it brings my levels up not sure why. I have even had like mashed potatoes and not a very big change in sugar level. I was 9.5 with A1C in July and most of the time my readins have been between 90 in mornings and couple times over 150. I learned not to eat nachos it really went up. any suggestion I take. This is great place ive found. thanks Scott Harless

matingara

matingara

• 500 plus
  • 2,175 posts
It's all about the carbohydrates man.

There are stacks of carbs in fruit! There are about 50g of carbs in a cantaloupe!

Nachos are mega-carb laden.

just cut down on the carbs and you can eat anywhere.

if i am stuck in a restaurant or hotel i just order steak and salad. good eating. healthy. and low carb!

:)

-- Joel.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
do not click here...

NUMBERS
-----------------
May 2010 : A1C (home) 5.5%: Feb 2010: A1C (home): 5.2% Oct 2009: A1C: 5.7%;
Triglycerides: 53 (0.6); HDL chol: 50 (1.2); LDL chol: 19.5 (0.5); total cholesterol 87.5
Lantus before bed - 30u; Novorapid for meals (averaging 20-30u per day); Lowish carb diet

Scrabblechick

Scrabblechick

• 500 plus
  • 1,084 posts
I can do a buffet with success if I eat a big salad first. Nothing else on the table. I get the spinach, baby spring mix or romaine mix and use the oil and vinegar cruets for my dressing. For toppings, I add some shredded cheese and one spoonful of bacon bits, if they're the real thing.

Then, I'll focus on the protein and veggies. Potatoes don't bother me in moderation, so I'll have a small spoonful. I tell the server to keep the rolls in the kitchen. LOL. I will eat ONE cookie with some decaf coffee. Ryan's actually has s/f choices on the dessert bar and I will get one cookie, or a spoonful (not a slice) of s/f cherry pie without the crust. I'd rather eat the filling, anyway. LOL.

I have to be extremely careful at the Chinese buffet. Very, very careful. Mostly protein and veggies. It isn't exactly "real" Chinese, but egg foo yung works with my BG. I can even eat a little of the gravy on it, as long as I'm careful. Rice is what kills me. Can't do it.

The whole point is strict self-control and moderation.
Glycemic impact diet; exercise (jujitsu, walking); Metformin 2000 mg;
Victoza, 1.2 mg per day; Enalapril 40 mg; Prevachol
A1C, 11-10: 5.2!:elefant:
A1C, 9-1-09: 5.3!!; A1C, 5-19-09: 5.1!; A1C, 2-12-09: 5.3!; A1C, 11-14-08: 5.2!; A1C, 8-7-08: 6.3; A1C, 5-1-08: 5.6; A1C, 2-5-08: 7.4

patricia52

patricia52

• 500 plus
  • 2,513 posts
Yes, Buffet are all right. Just make the same choices you would make at home. Actually it is sometimes easier for me to eat from the buffet because I am not limited to just a few choices. I try to start with a protein to curb my appetite and a salad. I add a couple of veggies and maybe a fruit for desert. I learned the trick of starting with a protein at a diabetes education class and so far it has worked. I am slowly losing the extra pounds and I have had excellent control of my BG. Last A1C was 5.8.
Patricia

Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Lantus
Apidra
Diet & Exercise
Most recent A1C 5.6

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,165 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
Now I will gross you all out about buffets. Have you even considered how many people have walked out of the restroom without washing their hands and picked up the spoons and tongs of buffets? I was turned off buffets when I worked at a metal health hospital that had a salad bar buffet. I would watch people come into the cafeteria and wipe their noses and pick up the spoon. Whenever they change trays, they always take the same serving spoon and plunk it in the new dish. Gross! I really don't do buffets anymore and haven't for about 10 years.

Owlyn, I couldn't agree with you more. I would opt for quality vs. quantity ANY day.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

volleyball

volleyball

• 500 plus
  • 2,040 posts
I loved all you can eat back in the day when I'd get the manager over to say "whoa buddy, you've already had 2 all you can eats!"
I still occasionally go and eat more modestly. If you go when there are no long lines, I am free to jump around and pick what I want. I also do a premeal walk by to see what i want. I also don't stuff the plate. You can always go back for more and you are less tempted to finish your plate which I still in the habit of doing. Eat your proteins and fats first and you have a little more leadway with the starchy foods or the desserts
Diabetes is a condition that you have to manage or it will manage you. The care team is only there in a supporting role

birdyland

birdyland

• 500 plus
  • 185 posts
I have a little bite of everything..... and go back to get the better tasting better choices.
~Dana~
POSTCARD EXCHANGE II - 13 of 20 received
POSTCARD EXCHANGE II - 20 of 20 sent

Type2 on insulin - Humalog & Novolin - controlled
Hypothyroid - levoxyl 137 - controlled
My endocrine system hates me!
miscarriage 3/7/08 not due to thyroid/diabetes

Went straight to insulin after experiencing Metformin!

7/08 - A1c - 6.1 :)
3/08 - A1c - 6.2 :)
2/08 - A1c - 6.4
12/07 - A1c - 7.2
------
12/06 - Dagnosis A1c - 7.8 :(

LittleMaxi

LittleMaxi

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Whether your in Vegas or Mudlick, Kentucky... The Buffet is a dangerous adventure if you drop in un-educated... Just try your best to stick with lean proteins and veggies, most of the other stuff is there as a cheap filler, plus you will feel alot better post meal, although the crab rangoons are tempting, your body will tell you later, yes it tasted great, but now I feel like ****...
Take it from a guy who used to eat a Pupu Platter for two before the flame went out !

w5wjp

w5wjp

• 500 plus
  • 769 posts
Beware of the desert line, especially at the Vegas buffets!!!
Most of those "sugar-free" deserts have more carbs than the "sugar-loaded" deserts. Next time your in a grocery store, check the labels on the "sugar-free" and the comparable regular stuff. Yup, they take out the sugar and find a way to stuff more carbs in. I haven't figured out how they do it, but it is the same with most "-free" foods. Take out something bad and put more of something else bad in.....lol
Posted Image
Cozmo 1800
Volcano Black
Pumping since Jan 4 2007
A1C: 7.0 on 7/28/08:top:

yannah

yannah

• 500 plus
  • 5,599 posts
I recently paid 12 bucks at a buffet....thats where friends wanted to go... I found to eat, baked chicken, carrots, salad. yeap that is it, they made money on me!
last a1c 5.5. /5.8

low carb

quinipril- 5 mg day
novolog 70/30

my lipid profile is finally amazing.

I LOVE YOU!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users