- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

ernest plutko

ernest plutko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Two times during the last three years I experienced rapid weight loss. I was not dieting or doing anything out of the ordinary. I lost one to two pounds a day. I felt good and was delighted as I weighted myself every morning. Both episodes I lost about 35 lbs. After the weight loss I became extremely hungry and ate so much I gained the lost weight back. I couldn't control my eating even though I was miserable while eating. I read some people cut back on their insulin to lose weight. I tried this several times but couldn't start the weight loss.

gbhunter

gbhunter

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
To cut back on insulin to lose weight has to be one of the worst ideas. But at least you will be thin when they put you into the casket at 40.

slipperyelm

slipperyelm

• 500 plus
  • 1,465 posts
I read in your other post that you do not tailor your insulin to your food intake, but take 35 units of Novolog after meals, plus daily Lantus.

http://www.diabetesf...e-1-or-2-a.html

At the same time, your BGs run 200-300! That is a level where the many of the calories you eat are being spilled out in your urine. If you go through of period of eating an amount that is well matched to your insulin, then you will stop seeing weight loss. When you go through a period of having inadequate insulin (perhaps coupled with an increase in insulin resistance), then you may have a period of weight loss.

The goal in managing diabetes is not weight loss. The goal is getting the blood glucose to healthy levels! I think you could really benefit by learning to use insulin more skillfully, with injections matched to what you are actually eating, your activity levels, your actual BG levels, etc. But anyway, your BG of 200-300 sound like you could use more insulin, not less.

Please consider trying out a low carbohydrate way of eating to lower your BG. But monitor your BG while doing it, especially if you are not planning to match your insulin to your food intake! (You could get too much insulin if you just inject 35 units and then are eating low carb.) Eating low carb, will more likely allow you to continue enjoying eating what ever amount of food you want without the high BGs.

ernest plutko

ernest plutko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I know I am doing a bad job of caring for diabetes. Because I eat too much. If I eat a morsel my BG goes right up. I have started taking 2000 mg of Glucophage a day and my BG has fallen to 200. Losing weight is a good idea. I made it to 67 so I am not going to die at 40. Has anyone heard of rapid weight loss from diabetes? If I lose 35 lbs again my BG should go down again as it did before after weight loss.

peacock

peacock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Ernest, why don't you try a structured diet program like Weight Watchers, or something else performed under the supervision of your doctor or a nutritionist? Weight loss will help your blood sugar but it's not healthy to lose to much weight and gain it back again.

Good luck!

genie86333

genie86333

• 500 plus
  • 2,191 posts
OK, I'm going to respond to this a bit at a time.

Has anyone heard of rapid weight loss from diabetes?

Yes, Ernest, diabetes can cause rapid weight loss - but it's NOT a good thing - it happens when diabetes is untreated or treated improperly & can be accompanied by other complications.

Losing weight is a good idea. If I lose 35 lbs again my BG should go down again as it did before after weight loss.

Yes, this is true, although it's not necessarily going to work a miracle - it may work as well as it did last time, but remember Diabetes is progressive, so it may not.

I know I am doing a bad job of caring for diabetes. Because I eat too much. If I eat a morsel my BG goes right up.

I know your frustration with this...the same thing happens to me. Even things that shouldn't raise my blood sugar do so. :(
However, some things raise it less than others do - the trick is testing freqently until you know what those things are & then eating those things more often & the other things less often.

I made it to 67 so I am not going to die at 40.

Just because you've made it to "67 & won't die at 40" doesn't mean that your body can continue for long that way. Eventually it will catch up with you - and I'm sure you've heard some of the horror stories about what diabetes CAN do if you don't manage it.

All that being said, the advice is the same for anyone wanting to lose weight, diabetic or not - it should be done the same way the weight was gained - slow & steady. Eat a diet that is healthy for you. A good option for diabetics is low-carb, matching your carb intake to your use of insulin.

People around here are happy to answer questions on how you can get better control.

eritow

eritow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ernest---my boyfriend is 38 yrs old and was recently diagnosed with diabetes. (within 6 mos or so). Anyway, in September he weighed 380lbs and now he is down to 285lbs. He has done nothing to change his diet, he is ignoring his diabetes, I told him losing almost 100lbs in 8 mos without doing anything is something to not be ignored. He finally had a fasting sugar test and his fast was a BG of 470. Off the charts! He doesn't test, doesn't care and I am worried about him. Don't ignore your weight loss!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users