- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

EeyoreButterfly

EeyoreButterfly

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
What non food things affect your blood sugar, one way or the other? I know when it is hot out or when I am tired I tend to feel low more often, but I haven't been doing this enough to know if I actually am low at these times. I've heard that a woman's cycle can affect blood sugar, and of course exercise lowers it.

What all besides food affects blood sugar, and how do you typically compensate for it when you are using diet and exercise to control?

jillrapp

jillrapp

• Seniors
  • 1,141 posts
Illness can greatly elevate your blood sugar, not much you can do at that point but to keep taking your medications and ride it out. Always contact your dr. if you get unusually high/low readings through an illness.

Lack of sleep can affect BS
I hear caffeine has affected some people's BS
Stress... an argument with a friend/family member can spike mine very high
Scary movies do the same!
Jill in AZ

Gary_W

Gary_W

• Seniors
  • 1,335 posts
It's broken sleep that does mine; lack of sleep doesn't seem to do much as long as it's in one stretch. It's when the children are waking you up every hour and a half for a few mins at a time that it really kills my control.

My basal just varies from one month to the next. I have tried to pin down why this is, but there will be no change in overall stress levels, activity etc. It just does it for reasons that either I don't understand or that don't exist...
The people of the Village call me 'The King and Queen of Fajitas'. I know not why....

Jill-O

Jill-O

• Seniors
  • 1,656 posts
The biggy for me is emotional stress. It can blow everything out of the water. Sometimes even things I don't think have upset me "a lot" have done a number on my glucose levels.

The other surprise for me has been finding out how much caffeine effects my numbers. Not right after I've had it, but the following morning. My waking numbers are higher the day after I've had much caffiene. I'm such a bad addict, I fall on and off the wagon and have tested it enough to know for me, it really does elevate my fasting numbers the following morning (about 24 hours after that big old cup of coffee!).

Posted Image

S. Jill O'Roark -- Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit Online @
www.whinny4me.com

Lantus, Humalog, Daily Exercise

And quit bringing up our forefathers and saying they were civil libertarians. Our founding fathers would have never tolerated any of this... For God's sake, they were blowing peoples' heads off because they put a tax on their breakfast beverage. And it wasn't even coffee.” -- Dennis Miller

ihd1111

ihd1111

• Members
  • 130 posts
Three things that effect my BS:

Extreme emotions
Exercise
Illness
IHD1111

Diagnosed Spring 2004
Last A1C: 6.4

Julietta

Julietta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
Yep, exercise, illness and stress all affect my BG. My cycle does, too - my BG is lower in the first half of my cycle, from my period to ovulation, then trends higher from ovulation til my period.

Stuboy

Stuboy

• Seniors
  • 1,956 posts
exercise, stress, illness.

I dont find that sleep patterns affect my bg much, we're all different!
Stu
Posted Image
Posted Image
Type 1 Since 24.07.2006
Pumping NovoRapid with Animas 2020MDI- Levemir & NovoRapidMDI - Lantus & NovoRapidMixtard 30

Posted Image Ya gots to work with what ya gots to work with!

davef

davef

• Seniors
  • 8,192 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
Exercise
Illness
Stress
High temperatures
Shopping (guess that could be stress)
Aliens

0F869DE117BBAE6820F3DD49C762BF1A.png

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 50u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.

A1c

Most recent 08/09/14: 8.2% (down 3.4%)

20/11/13: 11.6%

jillrapp

jillrapp

• Seniors
  • 1,141 posts
Oh yeah, and the Aliens, I almost forgot!
Jill in AZ

Psycho Penguin

Psycho Penguin

Banned

• Banned
  • 991 posts
Lack of sleep and extreme emotional problems will do it. Pain, as well. Sex, possibly. And definitely aliens.
Type 1 diabetic since February 2008

Novalog: sliding scale as needed
Lantus 40u at night

Facebook: [url]http://www.facebook.com/PsychoPenguin[/url]
twitter: [url]http://www.twitter.com/ohheyitsPP[/url]

mazea

mazea

• Seniors
  • 659 posts
Intense emotions, that time of the month usually puts it, the 14th day usually puts it up and also walking by the pizza shop and looking in the window puts it up.

Jollymon

Jollymon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I agree with the above but also have issues with lack of chocolate. Lack of chocolate can cause low BS, as too much can cause hi BS.

walleyedave

walleyedave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
Stress and illness are the biggest factor for me. I have been fighting a bout of bronchitis and have had to increase my insulin to carb ratio from 1 unit/8 carbs to 1 unit/6 carbs.

The aliens, Don't even get me started about the aliens!!!

drummingfool

drummingfool

• Seniors
  • 569 posts
Sex, along with any other form of physical activity, can definitely affect sugar, and can really be... unfortunate when it does. Nothing ruins the mood like needing to run and get a pb&j ;)

And those aliens... and their sugar injections... why do they have to be so curious? :P

KCP

KCP

• Members
  • 427 posts
OMg those aliens?! they just appear form nowhere, next thing you know.. BAM!!!

Physical activity, illness and hormones are my biggest ones... As for affecting sex? OMG its the worst! i keep giant jelly beans and glucose next to our bed to combat.. or i will make sure i eat something before retiring if i know i or DH is 'in the mood' ;)
T1 for 21 years, PCOS. split dose Lantus, NovoRapid & Metformin.
DP - IT extraordinare
Darling daughter arrived 15/09/12 :love:
DSS - Think your stressed? Try having AUTISM

Feb 10 = 7.1
Feb 11 = 7.3
Apr 11 = 7.6
Jul 11 = 7.3
Oct = 7.2
Jan 12 = 7.4
Apr 12 = 6.2
July 12 = 6
Oct 12 = 7

EeyoreButterfly

EeyoreButterfly

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
Wow! I got a little more information than I bargained for! You all make me laugh.

blue eyes

blue eyes

• Members
  • 248 posts
-Illness (colds/chest infections = high, gastro = low)
-Weather (more lows when it's cold, more highs when it's hot I think highs in heat is maybe d/t dehydrated)
-Some medications (steroids = very high, ventolin = highs)
-Exercise (high or low, usually strenuous exercise like running/jogging = high, walking drops me)

Diagnosed 27/09/06
Pumping with MM522 since 05/11/07
CGMS since Nov 2008

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users