Flu shot

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

kmac

kmac

• 500 plus
  • 413 posts
Any ideas out there re the flu shot? Short term, what effect does it have on blood sugar? I know that in the past when I got a flu shot I felt not quite right for a few days. Long term, what do you think about whether it is advisable for anyone (or specifically diabetics) to get a flu shot?

I didn't get one last year, but the time is coming up to decide if I will get one this year.

Thanks for any thoughts you might share, pro or con:)

Kathi

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,196 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
The flu shot years ago, made me feel sick. When that happened, my blood sugar went up. The past 8 years or so, I have gotten a flu shot and never ended up with more than a sore arm.

I am getting one this year.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

art

art

• 500 plus
  • 2,025 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Florida
  • I am a:Type 2
I won't go near a flu shot.
It hasn't a thing to do with my sugar.
I just won't get one.

Art

worstday.jpg

Gordonm

Gordonm

• 500 plus
  • 1,514 posts
Just got mine on Tuesday. I have had one for the last couple of years. Never an issue with Blood sugar or anything else.
Type 1 since 4/74
Pump user since 10/17/06!
MM 523 pump
Bike miles
2013 3196
2014 2450 miles

Jill-O

Jill-O

• 500 plus
  • 1,656 posts
I've gotten a flu shot every year for the past decade. No problems. It used to make me feel slightly achy / feverish afterwards, but has not the past several years. Still, I'd rather feel slighly achy for a few days than have the flu :) :) :) I will be getting "shot up" at my next doctor's appointment.

Posted Image

S. Jill O'Roark -- Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit Online @
www.whinny4me.com

Lantus, Humalog, Daily Exercise

And quit bringing up our forefathers and saying they were civil libertarians. Our founding fathers would have never tolerated any of this... For God's sake, they were blowing peoples' heads off because they put a tax on their breakfast beverage. And it wasn't even coffee.” -- Dennis Miller

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,001 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
I work in a doctor's office, so i'm exposed to all the germs people carry in. I've had the flu shot every year for about the last 20...there's no way i'd miss one. I've never had any problem with them other than the occ. sore arm. I figure anything I can take to help me avoid or lessen a potential problem, i'll take. I also have had the pneumonia shot and the hepatitis vaccine....and when i'm old enough, i'll get the shingles vaccine as well.

I've seen way too many patients get knocked off their feet by the flu.

However, my sister has never had a flu shot and has never gotten the flu. It's all about personal choice.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

Type1Ely

Type1Ely

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
I've never had an issue with elevated glucose levels after the flu shot. I'm waiting to get mine done, once I've gotten over my cold and ear infection. My employer has a nurse come from Sentara hospital to give us all the flu shot, so its a plus:)
Posted Image
www.type1ely.com
Dxed May 10th, 2006 @ 20yrs old
22 yrs old
A1C's:
01/24/08: 9.6:confused:
03/20/08: 7.0:)
06/17/08: 8.0:o
09/15/08: 6.7:D
12/15/08: 6.5 -getting better:)
06/17/09: 6.7 :rolleyes:
Low Carbing 10/06/08
Pumping on my purple minimed 722 since 11/05/08:)
24'' Quickset Tubing, 6mm
Lifescan UltraSmart Meter

parrotletzoo

parrotletzoo

• 500 plus
  • 740 posts
i get one every year. Never had a problem with it.
IDDM since jan 1980
Mom's day 2006 recieved islet transplant, off insulin as of July 14, 2006.
for more infomation visit http://www.thechicag...e Magazine2.pdf

kmac

kmac

• 500 plus
  • 413 posts
Thanks, everyone, for your input.

I really appreciate the way people on this forum are willing to share their experience and be helpful.

Kathi

Tiger Lily

Tiger Lily

• Validating
  • 162 posts
i used to think that the flu shot made me sick

the vaccine is a KILLED virus, and it takes about 3 weeks for the body to develop immunity to the virus

if you get sick before this 3 week period is over, then you have come into contact with the virus before you developed immunity

of course, this was explained to me AFTER i didn't get the flu shot one year, AND i got the flu............ man oh man, you do NOT want to get the flu....... slept for most of 6 weeks, crawling to the bathroom when necessary, unable to move for much else....... and the flu WILL raise your bg levels!

tip....... hold your arm up at the elbow to remove all tension/pressure from the upper arm muscle that is getting the flu vaccine injected into it....... since i've started doing this, the flu shot has NOT hurt me for 3 days after!

IrishJoe

IrishJoe

• 500 plus
  • 424 posts
I'm going to be getting my first one *ever* soon! I'm going with my dad as he needs to get one too being elderly and asthmatic. So it will be fun :)

davef

davef

• 500 plus
  • 8,166 posts
I had my first flu shot last year shortly after diagnosis. As a diabetic, I get it cover by National Health and so it is free. I'm getting my shot next week.

0F869DE117BBAE6820F3DD49C762BF1A.png

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 50u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.

A1c

Most recent 08/09/14: 8.2% (down 3.4%)

20/11/13: 11.6%

owlyn

owlyn

• 500 plus
  • 1,475 posts
I get one every year. Never a problem.
Posted Image
Unless otherwise stated, the opinions expressed here are my own and are in no way intended to be considered as anything other than my opinion. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

kmac

kmac

• 500 plus
  • 413 posts
Thanks again for the input. Sounds like the shot will probably not cause problems with blood sugar so I just have to weigh the same advantages and disadvantages as usual.

I usually get a shot because of where I work. I'm leaning toward getting one this year.

PS--Tiger Lily thanks for the tip about the sore arm. I often get a sore arm for days and will try your trick.

Kathi

Jules49

Jules49

• 500 plus
  • 167 posts
I got mine Thursday. Have never even had a sore arm. No problems for me.

siamesegrin

siamesegrin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I just got a flu shot on Thursday afternoon. I'm T2 and pregnant, so my doc strongly recommended one for me. Well, since Friday, yesterday and today, my fasting GL has been 130-133, instead of 95-110. I don't know if I caught a cold from my Dad last week and it's just showing up now, or if it's from the flu shot. Either way, I'm really upset about my raised GLs. I'm in wait and see mode right now.

maya0606

maya0606

• 500 plus
  • 218 posts
last year for the first time i did not put the flu shot, i heard rumors about it that its actually not good for your body because you're getting your body used to always have something to defend against bacteria, but if u don't get it your letting your own body defend them selves.... Didn't you guys hear that most people that have Type1 diabetes were most likely the ones that were almost never sick! and when some " virus" came along your body was so not use to function because your never sick and that virus is probably the reason why it attacked the pancreas, now I am not saying this is true, that is what a lot of people say about it, also they say that if you weren't breast feed and you had caw milk you have higher chance of having diabetes, guess what? my mom only breast fed me for a month and after that she give me caw milk! but yeah i do not put any flu shots anymore I just don't believe in them anymore
Diabetic on Type 1 since February 1999
A1C June 2008 = 8.2
A1C Oct 2008 = 12.5 WOW! :(
A1C Nov 2009 =7.2 :)
Maya
if it's to be, it's up to moi!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users