- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

halfqbanman

halfqbanman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I was diagnosed Type II in February of this year. I then lost 90+ lbs and now have it pretty much in control with diet and exercise only. My last A1C was 5.8. I have cut 99% of my starch intake from my previous life, and walk 3 - 5 miles per week in the evenings.

From casual drinking to drinking in excess, what are the best and worst things to drink regarding blood sugar? Is the low carb beer better or will that make a difference? I've heard wine would be the worst but not sure. What about liquor?

Thanks.
Diagnosed Type 2 on 2/13/08
Benicar 40MG w/HCTZ 25MG for blood pressure once daily

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,055 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I do fine with rum and vodka (not together;) ). Also, I do drink a glass of dry red wine 3-4 evenings a week, its really helped my HDL, though I still don't love the taste. I don't care for beer, so I can't advise you there. Not a big drinker, usually just one drink and i'm good.

Best advice, drink then test at 1, 2 and 3 hr intervals the first time so you can see how it affects you.

Also, congrats on the weight loss!

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

halfqbanman

halfqbanman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks PL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan Gato

Dan Gato

• 500 plus
  • 458 posts
:beer: :beer:

Light beers are OK, Bud, Miller etc. I don't drink regular Bud too many carbs, & the extreme low carbs beers don't have good taste.
Wines are also OK. mixed drinks with diet sodas, diet coke, no regular.
always eat something, peanuts, cheeses, pork rines

Cheers !
:tee:
Latest A1C
Aprl '10...5.8
Feb '09 ..5.4
Aug '08...5.2
Feb '08...5.5
Dec '07...5.2

Hammer

Hammer

• 500 plus
  • 5,757 posts
Everyone reacts differently to alcohol, so like Linda said, you should test alot to see how each type of alcohol affects you.

Myself, I don't drink beer, but sometimes I will indulge myself and drink a mixed drink, which is usually whiskey(Seagram's 7) and diet Sprite. I haven't seen any negative effects on my BG numbers from drinking this, so for me, it's not harmful....yet.;)

Presently taking: Hyzaar for blood pressure:
Novolog and Lantus for diabetes.
Welchol for cholesterol and diabetes
Mega-Red Omega-3 Krill Oil (300 mg)
Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)
I was diagnosed in 2003...

(The human body is so resilient that no matter how badly you abuse it, it will still last you a lifetime.)

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,118 posts
Dry wine is fine. Spirits are fine. Sweet mixed drinks/cocktails are no-no's. I drink regular beer, but I don't often binge.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

davef

davef

• 500 plus
  • 8,188 posts
I have red wine, beer and vodka. Not all at the same time .... yet.

I make sure to eat before drinking and generally have something to nibble on and test regularly.

0F869DE117BBAE6820F3DD49C762BF1A.png

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 50u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.

A1c

Most recent 08/09/14: 8.2% (down 3.4%)

20/11/13: 11.6%

GretchO

GretchO

• 500 plus
  • 939 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
I need to bolus for beer - it usually makes my BSs go up initially. I don't drink that much, but do have a glass of red wine most nights with dinner and the occasional scotch for which I don't bolus...does wonders for my morning numbers.
Gretchen

MM 522 pump since 05/07; CGMS since 11/07

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be devoured by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.

Jill-O

Jill-O

• 500 plus
  • 1,656 posts
I also like and do good with Vodka and Rum (like Linda said, not at the same time).

Posted Image

Posted Image

S. Jill O'Roark -- Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit Online @
www.whinny4me.com

Lantus, Humalog, Daily Exercise

And quit bringing up our forefathers and saying they were civil libertarians. Our founding fathers would have never tolerated any of this... For God's sake, they were blowing peoples' heads off because they put a tax on their breakfast beverage. And it wasn't even coffee.” -- Dennis Miller

mazea

mazea

• 500 plus
  • 659 posts
I have 1/2 glass of red wine occasionally. I was surprised that it hardly contains any carbs at all and it's something I can have without too much effect.:)

halfqbanman

halfqbanman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I don't drink much at all. I have a guy trip coming up and there will be quite a bit of drinking going on, mostly beer. I guess I will try some light beer to start with, then maybe rum/coke zero or crown/coke zero then test.

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,234 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
Rum and diet coke....I never have a problem. Glass of red win also does not bother my blood sugar. And my favorite?? Baja Bobs sweet and sour mix (made with Splenda) used as margarita mix with tequila and lime. I am not a big fan of drink mixes....this one is phenomenal.
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users