Photo

What's best to eat before a fasting blood sugar test...or does it even matter?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

NoVA_Susie

NoVA_Susie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm due in two months to get yet another blood sugar test that requires a 12-hour fast. So...I was wondering...does it matter what you eat beforehand? Are there any foods (or supplements) that are good to eat before the fast begins? In other words...does eating certain foods before the fast begins have the effect of a lower blood sugar reading? Thank you.

Psycho Penguin

Psycho Penguin

Banned

• Banned
  • 991 posts
Stuff like potatoes, pasta, bread, etc. will last longer and break down slowly.
Type 1 diabetic since February 2008

Novalog: sliding scale as needed
Lantus 40u at night

Facebook: [url]http://www.facebook.com/PsychoPenguin[/url]
twitter: [url]http://www.twitter.com/ohheyitsPP[/url]

art

art

• Seniors
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Florida
  • I am a:Type 2
Are we talking an A1C test or just a "bleed on the strip" test?
If it's an A1C what you eat just before the test won't have much of an effect. The A1C is a measure of the last 3 months.

If it's the strip eat protein. And that's all.
It never hurts to cheat a little.

ART

fgummett

fgummett

• Seniors
  • 7,916 posts
I don't see any helpful point in cheating... these numbers simply provide feedback as to how we are doing with our BS control. As such, high or low numbers are just as important as normal range... we can use them to develop a better approach to improved control. You can't make an informed decision without knowing all the facts. :)

Lloyd

Lloyd

• Seniors
  • 1,909 posts
The whole point of a fasting test is to measure how you are doing, by taking a measurement at a time when food is not affecting you, that is why no eating for 12 hours.

-Lloyd

2014 A1c 5.4 5.6 5.8 5.6   2013 5.3 4.9 5.2 5.2

2012 5.3 5.2 5.1 5.0 2011 5.0 5.0 5.2 5.0 2010 5.3 5.3 5.3 5.4 5.4

2009 5.4 5.4 5.3 5.2 2008 5.0 5.1 5.2 4.9 4.9

2007 5.3 5.5 5.7<---Pump 6.9 (Mix)

2006 (Lantus) 7.8 8.5 8.7 7.1

2005 8.4 6.9 7.4 2004 6.2 5.6 6.4 6.0 (Pills)

andypoo

andypoo

• Seniors
  • 1,865 posts
Am I missing something here? I thought fasting meant just that,fasting. You don't eat anything before the testing,ZIP,NA-DA,ZERO.NOTHING. Am I wrong?
Difficulties present choices:
we can either waste away from
our wounds or use them to grow our souls

The balance is,as always,delicate
We are constantly falling off one side are the other.
But the center is always there,waiting for us to discover it.

"Before you know kindness / as the deepest thing inside, / you must know sorrow / as the other deepest thing…. / Then it is only kindness / that makes sense anymore…."

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,065 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Am I missing something here? I thought fasting meant just that,fasting. You don't eat anything before the testing,ZIP,NA-DA,ZERO.NOTHING. Am I wrong?

I think the OP meant what is the best food to eat for the last meal she's allowed to eat before fasting. I just eat dinner the previous evening as I normally would, then fast my 12 hrs before the test.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

andypoo

andypoo

• Seniors
  • 1,865 posts

I think the OP meant what is the best food to eat for the last meal she's allowed to eat before fasting. I just eat dinner the previous evening as I normally would, then fast my 12 hrs before the test.

ohhhhh,ok gotcha I didn't understand what she meant. Now I do. thanks!
Difficulties present choices:
we can either waste away from
our wounds or use them to grow our souls

The balance is,as always,delicate
We are constantly falling off one side are the other.
But the center is always there,waiting for us to discover it.

"Before you know kindness / as the deepest thing inside, / you must know sorrow / as the other deepest thing…. / Then it is only kindness / that makes sense anymore…."

Lloyd

Lloyd

• Seniors
  • 1,909 posts
12 hours is enough time, that nothing you eat, or don't eat should have any effect on the test, providing you take your medications as instructed (eating and then not taking your normal insulin could affect you, for instance).

-Lloyd

2014 A1c 5.4 5.6 5.8 5.6   2013 5.3 4.9 5.2 5.2

2012 5.3 5.2 5.1 5.0 2011 5.0 5.0 5.2 5.0 2010 5.3 5.3 5.3 5.4 5.4

2009 5.4 5.4 5.3 5.2 2008 5.0 5.1 5.2 4.9 4.9

2007 5.3 5.5 5.7<---Pump 6.9 (Mix)

2006 (Lantus) 7.8 8.5 8.7 7.1

2005 8.4 6.9 7.4 2004 6.2 5.6 6.4 6.0 (Pills)

NoVA_Susie

NoVA_Susie

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for your responses. Yes, I did mean eating BEFORE a 12-hour fast. I was just wondering if what you eat BEFORE fasting makes any difference.

Some background info: I've had 2 tests with elevated blood sugar but am not on diabetes meds yet. In the meantime, one of my blood pressure meds was changed and even though my bad cholesterol levels are fine, my good cholesterol levels are not so I was recently put on Zocor.

In 2 months I have to have another blood test (blood taken from the arm vein) to see how I'm doing (better, worse or the same) and then things get taken from there.

No doubt unless things drastically change in the interim, I most likely will be put on diabetes meds. In the last several months, I've tried to get my blood sugar reading down through various herbs (cinnamon, prickly pear cactus, gymnema sylvestre, milagro de la selva) without any real success. Before taking herbs, I carefully researched each one. In addition, I did some research on which foods to add to my diet that would help blood sugar levels.

For years I had very bad problems with IBS-D. That meant I couldn't eat and then exercise. It also meant that I had to eliminate many foods from my diet. Many healthy foods I could only eat in small portions---vegetables, fruits, oatmeal. I'm sure all this didn't do my blood sugar much good. In the last few months, I finally got my doctor to listen when I talked about the IBS-D. She figured out (finally!) that it had to do with my gallbladder removal and prescribed a medication that has done wonders. In addition, I read that having two teaspoons of flaked coconut daily could help---and it did.

I guess I'm going through the stages of grief--denial, anger (did I ever rage to the heavens!), and now have to work my way to acceptance.

Again, thanks for your responses.

jerryn

jerryn

• Seniors
  • 634 posts
Pickles maybe. Pickles never spike me at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users