- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

muddy

muddy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
I walk about 3-4 miles a day. I do this cross country and it takes me about 30 mins. My calf muscles do not do this all the time but most of the time. It can be a painful 30 mins. when walking to have pain in the muscles with every step. Has anyone ever experienced this? Is it a diabetic thing with my arteries or something worse?
I do not want to stop but today I felt like I could not go on. It is like someone is pinching my calves hard. Not like shooting pain.

davef

davef

• Seniors
  • 8,218 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
Muddy,

I'd suggest you see your Doctor about this so as to rule out any circulatory problems. My father suffers from pains in his calfs when he walks, in his case if it due to problems with the arteries. He was told to walk as much as he could and they would review it in 6 months to decide if it requires further action.

0F869DE117BBAE6820F3DD49C762BF1A.png

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 50u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.

A1c

Most recent 08/09/14: 8.2% (down 3.4%)

20/11/13: 11.6%

Scratch

Scratch

• Seniors
  • 2,088 posts
Yeah, see your doctor and tell him about this. Pain in the calf muscles when exercising is a symptom of arterial problems that can be treated.
MDI, Lantus and Novolog
A1c 2/12 -- 5.9%

morrisma

morrisma

• Seniors
  • 2,253 posts
I get this in my shins if I start walking too vigorously. If I start slow, I can pick up the pace later on. I do a couple of miles at work over lunch and if I walk slow to the credit union (0.5 miles), and pause 5 minutes to transact some business there, I can continue at a much brisker pace after that warm-up.
Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 since 1988
Pumping since 2002
CGMS since 2010

TomB

TomB

• Members
  • 393 posts
Yep, see your doc and if he doesn't do anything, suggest that you get an ABI. That's a series of blood pressure readings on your thighs, calfs and even your bit toe. It's painless and is often done in the doctor's office. I get leg pains in my calfs, thighs and buttocks. Sometimes I can walk through it, other times I take a nitroglycerine to releive it. Since I have artherosclerosis, it looks like I need a couple more stents in my leg arteries and once that's done, I'll be able to walk pain free again, for awhile.
Good luck,
Tom

art

art

• Seniors
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Florida
I had that when my Doc put me on Lipitor.
Threw the bottle away.

Art

volleyball

volleyball

• Seniors
  • 2,040 posts
3-4 miles in 30 min = 6- 8mph which is pretty fast for walking. Are you speed walking? Have you been stretching? I would suggest no stretching before, a 40' sprint, your walk and then stretching afterwards. Also is it better after 2-3 days rest?
Diabetes is a condition that you have to manage or it will manage you. The care team is only there in a supporting role

muddy

muddy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
I have made a doctor appointment. Yes, I guess it is speed walking. The pain was so bad on Thurs. that I was crying when I got back to my starting point. I'll let you know what I find out.

Psycho Penguin

Psycho Penguin

Banned

• Banned
  • 991 posts
Sounds like a circulation problem. Do they feel "stiff" afterwards?
Type 1 diabetic since February 2008

Novalog: sliding scale as needed
Lantus 40u at night

Facebook: [url]http://www.facebook.com/PsychoPenguin[/url]
twitter: [url]http://www.twitter.com/ohheyitsPP[/url]

Caravaggio

Caravaggio

Cool runner

• Seniors
  • 3,069 posts

I walk about 3-4 miles a day. I do this cross country and it takes me about 30 mins. My calf muscles do not do this all the time but most of the time. It can be a painful 30 mins. when walking to have pain in the muscles with every step. Has anyone ever experienced this? Is it a diabetic thing with my arteries or something worse?
I do not want to stop but today I felt like I could not go on. It is like someone is pinching my calves hard. Not like shooting pain.

You walk faster than I run on most of my running days! While it may be related to your diabetes, it may not necessarily be the case, but to your speed walking.

Do you warm up sufficiently before you start your speed walking? Do you stretch after your speed walks? Are you wearing proper shoes? Since you are doing more than simply walking, are you doing any strengthening exercises for your legs, especially your calves? Have you tried slowing down, and do your calves hurt when you slow down?

In the end, it is better to check with your doctor, but be prepared to consider that it may not be diabetes but simply knowing how to speed walk correctly.

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• Seniors
  • 7,922 posts
  • LocationHastings Melbourne Australia
  • I am a:Type 1
In just about any physical activity is to warm up as this is sooooo important & stretch then apply the stress and also stretch after the activity to cool off. Don't forget the water!!! ;)

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

volleyball

volleyball

• Seniors
  • 2,040 posts
That old theory has been replaced with warm up before stretching, not before. Stretching old cold muscles causes more injuries than not
Diabetes is a condition that you have to manage or it will manage you. The care team is only there in a supporting role

morrisma

morrisma

• Seniors
  • 2,253 posts
Yes, stretch after you exercise to allow muscles to cool down slowly.
Warming up slowly is the part I have to do to prevent my pain.
Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 since 1988
Pumping since 2002
CGMS since 2010

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• Seniors
  • 7,922 posts

Stretching old cold muscles causes more injuries than not

No! Warm up first then S-T-R-E-T-C-H!!!! Then you are ready for the choreographer at 9AM and hold the barre. :)

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

volleyball

volleyball

• Seniors
  • 2,040 posts

No! Warm up first then S-T-R-E-T-C-H!!!! Then you are ready for the choreographer at 9AM and hold the barre. :)

That is what I said except for the choreographer, I am never ready for that!!! You implied stretch first

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• Seniors
  • 7,922 posts

You implied stretch first

Oops, Soory. :(:confused:

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

Caravaggio

Caravaggio

Cool runner

• Seniors
  • 3,069 posts
For running (and may apply to speed walking), I think the new thinking is to warm up before speeding, then cooldown after the run/speed walk, then stretch at the end. Newer advice is not to stretch after warm up because (1) stretching cools you down and makes you vulnerable when you speed, and (2) the muscles may not be warm enough after the warm up. So, better to stretch after the work-out.

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts
Sounds like intermittent claudication. Does the pain stop when you stop walking and rest for a bit? Is the pain worse the faster you try to walk? I was diagnosed with this and basically there's not much you can do about it. From what I've read, walking, even if it's painful, will help. You might have to slow your pace down a bit. I believe excess weight can make it worse.

I was always a fast walker but it got to the point where walking a block or two to the bus stop killed me. It never occurred to me to slow down! After the endo told me what it was I started to walk very slowly. As I lost weight I was able to increase my speed. I can now usually walk around 3.5 mph and be fine but sometimes I go just a little too fast and my legs start hurting.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

Richard157

Richard157

• Seniors
  • 1,407 posts
I have the same calf problems now that I am using my treadmill. It is now to cold to walk outdoors here in NY. i did not have pain when walking outdoors.

I set the treadmill at a 7.0 incline and the speed at 3mph and walk one mile (20 minutes). My calves feel like they are going to cramp all night and the next day, but they do NOT actually cramp.

How do I stretch my leg muscles. What exercise does that???

I had a blood test that shows I am low in vitamin B12. I am taking B12 tablets. I read that low B12 can cause cramps. I wonder if there is something there that relates to my pain in my calves. The pills have not increased my B12 according to blood tests. Should I get B12 SHOTS instead?
Type 1 for 68 years, A1c = 6.1, pump with MM 523 Revel, I have good health.

You never know how Strong you are until being strong is the ONLY choice you have!

Real4

Real4

• Members
  • 459 posts

I have made a doctor appointment. Yes, I guess it is speed walking. The pain was so bad on Thurs. that I was crying when I got back to my starting point. I'll let you know what I find out.

How do you know you go that distance? I walk almost 5 miles a day (measured) and it takes almost 90 minutes and that is at a moderately rapid walk. Few people can actually walk at 4 mph for half an hour, especially if they have PAD, which is what you sound like having.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users