- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

EeyoreButterfly

EeyoreButterfly

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
For those of you on Metformin who experienced stomach issues, could you please describe them?

I am on the third day of Metformin and cannot tell if my stomach problems are due to Metformin or are a continuation of the problems I've been having (for which I've been told to lay off all milk for two weeks to see if I am lactose intolerant). I'm thinking it's the latter since I'm only on 500mg of ER taken with supper, but I just don't know. I was hoping to somebody could tell me about what they experienced so I might be able to get a better idea if it's the Metformin or not.
Posted Image
Jessi 26
Type 2? BS Range (39-330)
Diet and Exercise

One Touch Ultra Mini Purple named Rosalie
A1C: 5.7

antbronco

antbronco

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've just started taking Metformin but I have not had any issues. I always take mine (1000 X 2 each day) just after or during a full meal. Once in the morning and at diner. Maybe it's something you should talk to your DR about?

antbronco

Keep up the good fight and remember...

Go Broncos!!!!!

genie86333

genie86333

• Seniors
  • 2,191 posts
Unfortunately, the symptoms of both were about the same for me. Diarrhea & gas.

EeyoreButterfly

EeyoreButterfly

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts

I've just started taking Metformin but I have not had any issues. I always take mine (1000 X 2 each day) just after or during a full meal. Once in the morning and at diner. Maybe it's something you should talk to your DR about?

antbronco

Go Broncos!!!!!

My doctor already knows about it- hence the no milk for two weeks. In fact, she was reluctant to put me on Metformin because of it but after looking at my numbers decided the benefit outweighed the risk. I'm pretty sure it's not the Metformin, but I don't know what typical "stomach problems" people have with Metformin.
Posted Image
Jessi 26
Diet and Exercise

antbronco

antbronco

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I wish I could help but I just don't know. Maybe someone with a lot more knowledge then this newbee has advice.

antbronco

Go Broncos!!!!!

davef

davef

• Seniors
  • 8,218 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
Eeyore,

It's not at all uncommon to experience stomach and gastric issues when starting out on Metformin. The common things are gas, cramping and Diarrhea. I'm on metformin for 11 months now and did not really experience the problems, but I gather I'm one of the lucky ones. That said I have had about 3 events, which I believe are metformin related. Each occured after dinner, starting with dreadful cramps, then gas and then the world fell out of my bottom. I believe this happened when I had eaten a large, carby or greasy meal.

The general advice for somebody starting out and having problems is to watch the carb intake and make sure to eat before taking the met. Often the directions are "with food" which leads some people to take the met and then eat, however I believe it is better to eat and then take the met.

As far as I know the stomach/gastric issues should ease and go after about a week or so. Perhaps you could ask your Doctor about splitting the dose.

Hope this helps,

0F869DE117BBAE6820F3DD49C762BF1A.png

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 50u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.

A1c

Most recent 08/09/14: 8.2% (down 3.4%)

20/11/13: 11.6%

TomB

TomB

• Members
  • 393 posts
I took metformin for 5 or 6 years then the "bottom fell out" as DaveF so discreetly described. That happened when I finally got down to 180lbs. I've heard that without fat cells around, metformin gets angry. Had to stop metformin when I went on the short list for using contrast dye. That's used for some MRA's, CT's and all angiograms. I get lots of those that are unscheduled and the kidneys don't like metformin mixed with that dye.
. Word of advice: whenever you start a new medication, goto [url=http://www.drugs.com]Drugs.com | Prescription Drugs - Information, Interactions & Side Effects[/url] or equivalent and check out drug interactions. Especially check out over the counter stuff.

yannah

yannah

• Seniors
  • 5,599 posts
I had a horrible violent reaction to Metformin, couldn't leave the house. vomiting diarreah and just really ill for two weeks, it jump started my diet.

anyway, then I went on actos instead, which did nothing for the numbers.

then I asked to try met ER and have been absolutely fine on that. really.
last a1c 5.5. /5.8

low carb

quinipril- 5 mg day
novolog 70/30

my lipid profile is finally amazing.

I LOVE YOU!

Euched

Euched

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Eeyore,

It's not at all uncommon to experience stomach and gastric issues when starting out on Metformin. The common things are gas, cramping and Diarrhea. I'm on metformin for 11 months now and did not really experience the problems, but I gather I'm one of the lucky ones. That said I have had about 3 events, which I believe are metformin related. Each occured after dinner, starting with dreadful cramps, then gas and then the world fell out of my bottom. I believe this happened when I had eaten a large, carby or greasy meal.

I have had this same experience. I have been on Metformin a little over a month now and I have not had any real problems with it either. I too have had 2 incidents though and they were both after having a large meal with too many carbs that lead to cramps/gas/diarrhea.
Alex

A1C 10/30/08 - 11.2 :eek:
A1C 01/30/09 - 8.2 :(
A1C 05/04/09 - 8.1 :(

Cassini

Cassini

• Members
  • 434 posts
Hi there Eeyore,

I have been on Met for just over a month now and had the "classic" effects of massive cramps, gas, bloating, vomiting and the world falling out of my bottom (dave, very well said):D for about two weeks after starting.

I have since had a couple of "events" also where I ate carbs much higher than my usual low carb diet , fattier foods and Met told me (other than my ridiculously high numbers) that is a no no.

I too am lactose intolerant and would explain my problems there in almost the same way. The only difference for me is the strength of the cramps, much worse with Met.

I haven't tried Met ER but from what I have seen around the board and other places it is much easier on the stomach than just plain Met.

The way my numbers are now, they are much more stable and unless I mess with myself by trying to sneak in too many carbs per meal, they are generally getting better. I do see my Doc in a couple of weeks and am going to ask him to add Met at night as well, my morning numbers are always around 150 or slightly higher.

Hang in there because once the numbers started coming down, it was worth every trip to the commode! (put some good reading in there)

I hope this helps a bit,
Cass:T
My Blog
Aug '8 A1C=9.9:eek:
Sept '08, DX A1C=9.9
Oct '8 A1C=8.2
Jan '9 A1C=6.0

sable_032592

sable_032592

• Seniors
  • 525 posts
i was on metformin (500mg x 3 - day) back in 95/96, and i had the diarrhea, gas, cramps, bloating... i was on it for a year and a half, then i was put back on it in 2002 (500mg x 2 - day) and then in 2003 (850mg x 2 - day)... each time i went on it or changed dosage, i had the 3 months or so of adjustment to make... the generic one i take, when it changes from GEN-METFORMIN to APO-METFORMIN, i have the adjustment time again with the side effects... it really sucks...

SIDE EFFECTS

Nausea, stomach upset, diarrhea, or a metallic taste in the mouth may occur at first as your body adjusts to the medication. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly. If stomach symptoms return later (after you are on the same dose for several days or weeks), tell your doctor immediately. Stomach symptoms that occur after the first days of your treatment may be a sign of lactic acidosis.

Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.

This medication does not usually cause low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). However, low blood sugar may occur, especially if you take other medications for diabetes, drink large amounts of alcohol, do unusually heavy exercise, or do not consume enough calories from food. Symptoms include cold sweat, blurred vision, dizziness, drowsiness, shaking, fast heartbeat, headache, fainting, tingling of the hands/feet, and hunger. It is a good habit to carry glucose tablets or gel to treat low blood sugar. If you don't have these reliable forms of glucose, rapidly raise your blood sugar by eating a quick source of sugar such as table sugar, honey, or candy, or drink fruit juice or non-diet soda. Tell your doctor about the reaction immediately. To help prevent low blood sugar, eat meals on a regular schedule, and do not skip meals. Check with your doctor or pharmacist to find out what you should do if you miss a meal.

Symptoms of high blood sugar (hyperglycemia) include thirst, increased urination, confusion, drowsiness, flushing, rapid breathing, and fruity breath odor. If these symptoms occur, tell your doctor immediately. Your dosage may need to be increased.

A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching, swelling, severe dizziness, trouble breathing.

This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

WARNINGS

Metformin can rarely cause a serious (sometimes fatal) condition called lactic acidosis. Stop taking metformin and seek immediate medical attention if you develop any of the following symptoms of lactic acidosis: unusual tiredness, severe drowsiness, chills, blue/cold skin, muscle pain, fast/difficult breathing, unusually slow/irregular heartbeat.

Lactic acidosis is more likely to occur in patients who have certain medical conditions, including kidney or liver disease, conditions that may cause a low oxygen blood level or poor circulation (e.g., severe congestive heart failure, recent heart attack, recent stroke), heavy alcohol use, a severe loss of body fluids (dehydration), X-ray or scanning procedures that require an injectable iodinated contrast drug, recent surgery, or a serious infection. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these conditions occur or if you notice a big change in your overall health. You may need to stop taking metformin temporarily. The elderly are also at higher risk, especially those older than 80 years who have not had kidney tests.

sable,
type 1 diabetes since march 25th, 1992

Posted Image
www.spca.com

cyberus

cyberus

• Seniors
  • 1,182 posts
I went through a month of **** on metformin that never started to get better until I went on the ER (extended release) version .. and then it still took another month for the side effects to totally go away.
However between met and low carb I have my daily numbers down into the mid to high normal range so it was worth it after all was said and done.
As always YMMV!

Diagnosed: July 3 2008
A1C- 7/08= 10.6 :eek: 11/08 = 5.6 5/09= 5.3 11/09 = 5.6 :D
triglycerides - 7/08 = 192 :( 11/2008 = 84 11/09 = 66 :D
HDL - 7/08 = 46 :( 11/2008 = 74 11/09 = 79 :D
LDL - 7/08 = 106 :( 11/2008 = 80 11/09 = 65 :D

Low Carb Diet (15-50g/day)
Metformin ER 500mg 2x day
Neurontin 800mg 3x day
Meloxicam 15mg 1x day (arthritis)
Multivitamin, B12, fish oil

starrdbes

starrdbes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Hello..

Metformin made me feel sick to my stomach about 30m after taking it. I has nausea, sleepyness and general malaise until I stopped taking it. There is no way to know if I way only reacting badly, or if the reaction was accompanied by the wrong diabetes treatments for my body. (Now on Humalog)
~ starrdbes ~

Medtronic Paradigm 722 Pumper since Oct 16, 2008.
Humalog User since Fall 2007.
:party:
Past Humalin-N user
Past Metformin user
Past Ramapril user
Past Actos User
Past Diamicron User

Creator of Diabetes Canada Facebook Group :D

EeyoreButterfly

EeyoreButterfly

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
How many who had stomach upset took ER?

I am on 500 mg of ER at night. I really think it is whatever stomach issue I already had, becaus it seems like people don't have a problem with ER, and 500 mg seems to be one of the lower doses.
Posted Image
Jessi 26
Diet and Exercise

brettruben

brettruben

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My Mom is taking Metformin to control her blood sugar level. She was never heavy, but now she's only 97 pounds. I've been hearing something about Mteformin aiding in, or causing weight loss. Has anyone else heard of this? Should I be concerned that the medicine may be making the problem worse? Also is there anything she should eat/take to gain weight without raising her glucose level?

EeyoreButterfly

EeyoreButterfly

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
Based on your other (admitted) spam posts I'm having a hard time taking this seriously. However, I will answer your question.

Metformin can help with weight loss, but it is a modest amount. Your mom needs to talk to her doctor about her weight and what she can do to remedy it.
Posted Image
Jessi 26
Diet and Exercise

AUNTJOJO

AUNTJOJO

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I am new at this. My first visit! I was diagnosed in Oct. 2008. I was put on 500 Mg of Metformin. By the next day, I couldn't get out of bed except for times of experiencing vomiting and diahrea (both very often); felt very sleepy, achy, very much like a bad flu. I called my Dr. and was told I probably did have the flu. After a week of this, I told her I really believed it was the Metformin. She took me off it and put me on Glipizide. I got better right away. Glipizide wasn't working for the BSl though so she sent me to an edocrinologist. He put me on the ER of Metformin 500 mg at night. Seemed like that was working. He doubled it and took me off the glipizide. 2 days later, I got violently ill. 3 emergency room visits later, they tell me I might have a problem with my pancreas. Put me in the hospital. Then the hospital dr. says my pancreas is ok and he believes it is all the Metformin. Took me off it. That was 2 days ago and I am home and feeling almost normal again. Don't know what they are going to put me on tomorrow, but it won't be Metformin. This is all so confusing and scary.

BigB0882

BigB0882

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I am probably resurrecting this post from the dead so forgive me. I have been on metformin for about a month now. The first week I noticed I had upset stomach after taking my dose (500mg once a day). I tend to take my dose after lunch. I began timing it and it is like clockwork, I have the cramping, gas and diarrhea exactly 3 hours after taking the medication. It did get better but if I miss my dose for a day or two then the stomach issues comes back for a couple of days. Good way to make sure I remember to take my medicine!

Mina

Mina

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Psychological Belief could be important factor, Sometimes a drug might not cause any problems at all, but because the Person is " Worried " about certain problems , he/she will feel these problems (even though it is not present)
So Stomach Problems might just be from the " Anxiety" nothing more

Just forget that Metformin is causing problems , live you life normally
If These Problems Continued for Long-Term , Talk To your Doctor and He/She Might Consider changing it

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,179 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2

....I began timing it and it is like clockwork, I have the cramping, gas and diarrhea exactly 3 hours after taking the medication. It did get better but if I miss my dose for a day or two then the stomach issues comes back for a couple of days. Good way to make sure I remember to take my medicine!

Try taking your dose at bedtime and see if it still bothers you. I find I can sleep through things I might otherwise notice, so I take vitamins and my evening metformin just before I go to bed.

Also, if you're not on the extended release version, you might consider it. It peaks more slowly, and many find improvement in symptoms on it. Something else you might consider is adjust what you're eating at the meal with which you take your pill to see if that makes any difference. I find that greasy foods are problematic to me, though otherwise I have no problems whatso ever.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users