Photo

News, External Artificial Pancreas Being Developed For Diabetics.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Rob43

Rob43

• 500 plus
  • 2,795 posts
Boston, MA (AHN) - An artificial pancreas to be worn externally by a diabetic is being developed by researchers at Boston University. The device seeks to improve monitoring of blood sugar levels at different times of the day and help those with type 1 diabetes control their ailment better.

External Artificial Pancreas Being Developed For Diabetics | AHN | November 6, 2008

EeyoreButterfly

EeyoreButterfly

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
It sounds like an insulin pump on steroids.

Incidentally, when my friend told me she was on an insulin pump, this is exactly what I pictured. I thought it monitored your sugar and reacted accordingly. I didn't know until I came to these forums that this was how it worked.
Posted Image
Jessi 26
Type 2? BS Range (39-330)
Diet and Exercise

One Touch Ultra Mini Purple named Rosalie
A1C: 5.7

HelenM

HelenM

• 500 plus
  • 1,029 posts

It sounds like an insulin pump on steroids

Not nearly as much as an implanted system does:)

I wonder why they're doing this as a 'one off'' project. Both external closed loop systems and an internal one are being internationally researched with funding from the JDRF and governments and is already fairly well advanced.
seeFirst Artificial Pancreas in Person With Diabetes - Diabetes Health
and
BBC NEWS | Health | Artificial pancreas for diabetics

There is also a set of slides 'Implantable Closed-Loop: Lessons Learned and Future Opportunities ' FDA-NIH-JDRF Workshop July 22, 2008(can't link as PDF)
These show the system set up, site insertion(beware if you're squeamish ) results of pilot study and future concepts.

On a personal note I recently met a lady who had had an implantable pump (they've been using them in a longterm research project here since the late 80s). She hated it because she was always worrying about what was happening with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users