TRICARE Prime Ins

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Hoyt54

Hoyt54

• 500 plus
  • 105 posts
Is anyone out there using a pump that was paid for by TRICARE? I'm retired military and a type 2 that is insulin dependent, my beta cells gave up the ghost. I want to get a pump but the lady at Animas said that TRICARE does not pay for pumps for type 2 diabetics. I called TRICARE and they won't give me a straight answer, they say that the doctor has to request a benefits review and letter of medical neccessity then they will decide. My endo has no problem with me going on the pump even though the A1C they did at the Office was 6.8, he thinks I'm doing good on my control but I don't agree, not with numbers shooting up to 285 and then dropping to 30. I want the freedom a pump will give me but I'm afraid I'm not going to get one:( :mad: Makes me want to go out and kick the cat:eek: (just kidding:D , would not hurt anything or anyone)

Ok "rant over" thanks

patricia52

patricia52

• 500 plus
  • 2,506 posts
My daughter-in-law is on Tricare. They paid for her pump but she is a T1. Wish I knew more. You might try calling the people that sell the pumps to see if they know. They helped my DIL get her pump. Even helped her find a doctor that would work with her.
Patricia

Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Lantus
Apidra
Diet & Exercise
Most recent A1C 5.6

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 12,999 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
Honestly, I totally jealous of your tricare. It is awsome insurance. Jump through their hoops and I will bet you a million that they will pay for it.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Katie purple

Katie purple

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Is anyone out there using a pump that was paid for by TRICARE? I'm retired military and a type 2 that is insulin dependent, my beta cells gave up the ghost. I want to get a pump but the lady at Animas said that TRICARE does not pay for pumps for type 2 diabetics. I called TRICARE and they won't give me a straight answer, they say that the doctor has to request a benefits review and letter of medical neccessity then they will decide. My endo has no problem with me going on the pump even though the A1C they did at the Office was 6.8, he thinks I'm doing good on my control but I don't agree, not with numbers shooting up to 285 and then dropping to 30. I want the freedom a pump will give me but I'm afraid I'm not going to get one:( :mad: Makes me want to go out and kick the cat:eek: (just kidding:D , would not hurt anything or anyone)

Ok "rant over" thanks

I am not sure if TRICARE does pay for them or not. I know that I just got a free UltraSmart meter by the manufacturer at target. I know pumps wont be free. But if you call the TRI***number (For me it is TRIWEST) and say that you need to talk to someone about COVERAGE FOR A MEDICAL DEVICE then they should be able to transfer you to the correct department. I went throught that yesterday with that meter.

Well I hope this helps. Sometimes TRICARE is the least helpful. BUT sometimes they are the best of help.

Good luck

Katie

w5wjp

w5wjp

• 500 plus
  • 769 posts
T2 here and a pump user paid for by Tricare. They did not question it, doc filled out the paper work and faxed it in and in a few days Smith's called and asked what color.
Posted Image
Cozmo 1800
Volcano Black
Pumping since Jan 4 2007
A1C: 7.0 on 7/28/08:top:

Deetles13

Deetles13

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
When i switched to the pump I was under my Dad's insurance which was tricare. I think i only had to pay like $9 or maybe it was nothing.. i dont remember. I went with the company Minimed and got the Paradigm 722. Maybe its the pump company that is giving you issues?? i dont know. When i got my real life grown-up job and my own insurance (tufts) i had my endo team write a letter saying my sugars ranged from 40 to 500 (which they did) and i got the CGM for free.
Native American
Type 1 since Feb 11, 1998
Pumper since Aug 2006
A1C 11/2008 8.2%
2/2010 7.6%
10/2010 6.8%

Hoyt54

Hoyt54

• 500 plus
  • 105 posts

T2 here and a pump user paid for by Tricare. They did not question it, doc filled out the paper work and faxed it in and in a few days Smith's called and asked what color.

That is good to hear! Maybe there is a chance for me:) Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users