- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

sarazilla

sarazilla

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
i work a 230pm-11pm shift at work. i usually take a Lantus dose at 1 or 1:30am. tonight, before my Lantus dose, my BGL was 279. i have just recently [1 month ago] been diagnosed, and have only in the last week or so gotten my BGLs to a "normal" average level of about 134. so anyhow, tonight around the time for my Lantus dose i felt very hungry! i can't really stay up another two hours to have a Novalog dose and then snack, but i am so hungry! usually, if i am under 110 before bed i have a 15-30g snack but it hasn't been high before bed in a while. before, when my BGLs were high before bed, even if i was hungry, i wouldn't snack. now that i have become more regulated i have been snacking a lot more. i have been told by my endo to only do doses every 2 hours. does that rule apply when one dose is basil and the other is bolus?has anyone else had to confront this problem?

SuzySushi

SuzySushi

• 500 plus
  • 108 posts
Welcome to the Forums!

1) Since you were diagnosed just recently, it's possible that you're going into the honeymoon phase where your pancreas is still producing some insulin. Figure on having to adjust your insulin again in the future -- it's a continuous balancing act!

2) While it's not good to take Novalog doses more than 2 hours apart because of overlapping peaks, you CAN take Lantus and Novolog at the same time.

When my daughter's BG is too high before bedtime (and her nighttime Lantus), I adjust her BG with a small bolus of Novolog (and I do mean small -- our CDE suggested that we try 2/3 the usual carb:insulin ratio, and I've found it needs to be even lower, like 1/3 or even 1/4 to prevent hypos).

3) You can also snack on foods that are low in carbohydrates, such as cheese, nuts, and most vegetables.

4) If you're finding that you're always hungry before bedtime, maybe you need to have a diabetes dietician work out a diet plan that includes a bedtime snack.

Erin

Erin

• 500 plus
  • 837 posts
It is def. fine to take novolog and lantus at the same time (in separate shots). Be careful taking novolog and snacking right before bed, you don't have time to correct if you miscalcualte and you can end up high or low overnight.

As far as the 2 hour rule, that is really only for novolog you are taking to correct a high blood sugar. You should not correct more than once in 2-4 hours because then you end up "stacking" your insulin and you end up low.

Once you get more comfortable with insulin you'll be able to eat whenever you want, even within a 2 horu time frame, and take insulin accordingly. Talk to your doctor first, obviously.
That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment.
- Dorothy Parker

T1 19 years
Minimed Paradigm 522... yay!

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
Hi and welcome. Could I please make a request, that you could capitalise each sentence? It's just that many people (myself included) find non capitalised posts like yours really hard for the eye to read.

Your sudden hunger at that time may well be due to going high. I find that going high above 200 and I instantly get food cravings. So that's just one possbile explanation, something to look out for.

As for injecting both at same time, as people have said, no problem, the 2 hour rule your doctor gave you would not apply. However as Erin said in seperate shots and at all times use a seperate part of the body as well. (I used to use my abdomen for Novo, butt for Lantus).

Watch out for shift work, it may really change the way your BGs work from day to day. How regular is this night shift, is it most nights? The main thing of course is doing your best to hold onto whatever stability and regularity you can, but also look out for bad effects on your health that shift workers often get, you can't afford a lot of the stress other people shrug off or put up with.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

lorilei

lorilei

• 500 plus
  • 3,151 posts
Could I please make a request, that you could capitalise each sentence? It's just that many people (myself included) find non capitalised posts like yours really hard for the eye to read.

Hi Subby,
Not sure if this is the case with all lower case users, but my shift isn't working properly. I usually make the effort to go back and correct the names of people. other than that it's too much of a pita ...sorry for the added aggravation. i do , however, make an effort to keep my posts short b/c of this.

lori;)

Novolog ~ mm522..
Working on Tour de Cure Princeton 2012~ June ;)
ACCOMPLISHED
MS Ride 75 miles on 9/24/11:)
Tour de Cure June 2011, June 2012
Livestrong 10k on foot Aug 2011
Treasure Island Tri~ Sept, 2010, Oct 2011

One life you've got to do what you should....

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
Hiya loristull, no problem, I've never noticed your posts being a problem. For example, your one right here is perfectly readable. I'm no moderator, and this is nothing to do with being a stickler for rules or anything.

It's just when it becomes a dense paragraph, like yours sarazilla, that it gives me a headache trying to read it, and I want to give feedback that a few simple capitals go a long way towards helping the communication! :)
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

sarazilla

sarazilla

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Sorry about the caps thing. Thanks for all of the responses! I didn't end up snacking last night and my morning reading was pretty good. I feel really grateful for this forum, because it gives me the opportunity to ask questions and find people who can relate to the mountain of information that was just -injected- into my life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users