- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

h a

h a

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
I went to the dr this week and the dr twisted my arm and said that I was not leaving the office until a flu shot was given . Apparently, anyone with diabetes and comlications are at70 percent more risk of developing more complications and a hospital stay than non diabetics due to inability of taking meds and rising blood sugars. The odd part about taking the shot is that it takes 2 weeks to take effect and coming in contact with the flu is about the same result as not taking it before the that time. Watch a newstrain come out that is not in the shot vacine.

shutterbug

shutterbug

• 500 plus
  • 778 posts
Thats news to me. Why would it take 2 weeks to become effective?
Posted Image

Diagnosed - 02/28/08

A1C - (8/10/2009= 5.7; 03/02/09 = 5.6 ; 12/29/08 = 5.8 ; 09/17/08 = 5.5 ; 05/27/08 = 5.7 ; 04/03/08 = 7.7 ; 02/29/08 = 10.1)

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts
My understanding is that when a new infection (foreign protein) appears in the body, our defences leap into action... part of this response is developing an antibody to combat the infection.

Each antibody is specific to the infection - kind of like how each lock needs a different key to open it - but developing this antibody can take days... hence the delay with the flu vaccine, which uses a dead form of the flu virus to trigger the above response.

The good news is that after each specific antibody is developed, the body is able to store a kind of blue-print such that; if it ever meets that same infection again it can quickly swing into mass-production and overwhelm the infection before it gets established. This is why many childhood infections only occur once. :)

The bad news is that our old nemeses, colds and flu, are constantly evolving new strains for which the antibodies from previous infections do not help :(

sable_032592

sable_032592

• 500 plus
  • 525 posts
i got the flu shot last week, i've been getting it every year for several years now... i've never heard of it taking 2 weeks, 48 hours, yes, but not 2 weeks...
sable,
type 1 diabetes since march 25th, 1992

Posted Image
www.spca.com

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,138 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
It actually takes two weeks for the flu shot to become effective. It takes that long for your body to develop antibodies. I talked to my doctor about it and she said two to three weeks and the person that gave the injection said about two weeks.

This year they have idendified three strains of most likely flu to infect the U.S. and that is what they are giving. You can still get one of the other flu virus that is not included in the vaccine.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

EeyoreButterfly

EeyoreButterfly

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
The flu shot always contains an A strain and a B strain. The A strain is the one that is responsible for the majority of and hte most serious infections. Last year the A strain did not fully matched, but the shot still offered more protection than no shot at all.

According to my mom (she is a microbiologist in a hospital) this year they based it off of the virus that was prevalent in Australia. From what I've heard, this year's vaccine is a better match than last year's was.

Even with the vaccine you can still get the flu, but it will typically be a shorter duration and not as severe than if you had not been vaccinated at all.
Posted Image
Jessi 26
Type 2? BS Range (39-330)
Diet and Exercise

One Touch Ultra Mini Purple named Rosalie
A1C: 5.7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users