- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

baltbob

baltbob

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Just wondering if anybody has opinions on sugar free desserts from local stores ( I live in Maryland) such as Safeway etc. that can be picked up during the holidays that can be taken to parties and holiday get togethers. It is always nice to be able to partake in something "safe" rather then sit back and watch everybody else eat dessert...Thanks

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,593 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Bob, i've found that sugar-free pie or cake generally makes my blood sugars go as high as a "regular" dessert would. When i'm at a holiday gathering, I'll tend to have fruit/cheese and a glass of wine rather than a dessert, or i'll have a couple bites of "regular" cheesecake then get rid of the plate.

I do well with regular cheesecake (I stay away from the ones with the fruit glazes though).

Try having just a couple bites of something you enjoy, follow it with cheese, nuts or some type protein and see how your blood sugars react.

It's not fun to have to deny yourself at a party, so just limit your portion size.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

TomB

TomB

• 500 plus
  • 393 posts
PrincessLinda has sage advice. I too have found that the sugar free stuff still spikes my BG and tastes bad - aspartain is foul tasting. I count carbs instead and if I'm going to nibble, I make darn sure to make it worthwhile. I tend to stay close to the veggie tray and munch on greens. Not the best desert but at least I have something in my hand, along with a glass of wine.
Happy Turkey day!
Tom

BigcityRich

BigcityRich

• 500 plus
  • 198 posts
Enjoy all the sweets! Moderation is the key. Its OK to have a "taste". I know it hard to have a "bite" of fudge. :eek:

I dont buy to many treats that are sugar free, but I like the sugar free jello pudding cups. They have a vanilla carmel that is yummy. I enjoy sugar free popcicles too. I have never noticed spikes from them. I have had "no sugar added" pies. Just like a regular pie, you still need to have self control. During the holidays I stay very low carb dinner so I can have a treat. Say no to the rolls and potatoes and gravy, and enjoy 1/2 slice of pie.

Beware of sugar free chocolate and other stuff with Sugar alcohols. It gives me really bad stomach aches and often they make me run to the potty. Consider yourself warned!

Dont deprive yourself and enjoy the holidays.
Richard

Type 2 since 2/07
Metformin ER 750mg 3x daily
Glipizide 5mg 2x daily

HbA1c
2/07 - 10.3%
6/07 - 6.0%
2/08 - 6.2%
7/08 - 6.0%
2/09 - 5.9%

jkane13

jkane13

• 500 plus
  • 386 posts
I love pecan pie. Saw one a couple days ago. Made with splenda. 14g per slice. I fell for it. Very dissapointing!

It tasted wrong. Not something I would eat again.

Worse, it was a 7" pie instead of 9. So smaller. Then I read the serving size. That tiny pie was to be cut into 8 pieces! That would be about 4 bites per piece.

The real thing sliced the same size would have just as few carbs, and taste better.

My sugar was 191 an hour later! No gain there either.

Not falling for that trick again.
-Jeff

mzteacher

mzteacher

• 500 plus
  • 2,149 posts
hi,
you have gotten great advice so far!!
for bringing to a party you may want to try the small frozen cream puffs....the ones filled with whipped cream....i can't remember the carb count....but it wasn't terrible...and one or two would satisfy the desire to have a treat and would be a nice dessert to bring to a party.....they come in boxes with a far amount in them....
enjoy your parties...i hope this helps!
susan

Jill-O

Jill-O

• 500 plus
  • 1,656 posts
A lot of the sugar free ones have just as many carbs as the real thing. What works best for me is to get one I really like (regular, not "sugar free") but limit the amount of it I let myself have. Also, things like almond M&M's (probably also peanut, if you like them) do pretty good for me and have lower carbs than like one cookie... and who can eat just one cookie??? But I can eat just one package of M&M's.

I do also really like the sugar free candy bars from Ross Direct. They do pretty good for my sugar levels and taste great!!! But the sugar free desserts with flour, just not worth it. Cost 5x as much, don't taste very good, and do the SAME thing to your sugar levels in my experience.

Posted Image

S. Jill O'Roark -- Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit Online @
www.whinny4me.com

Lantus, Humalog, Daily Exercise

And quit bringing up our forefathers and saying they were civil libertarians. Our founding fathers would have never tolerated any of this... For God's sake, they were blowing peoples' heads off because they put a tax on their breakfast beverage. And it wasn't even coffee.” -- Dennis Miller

andypoo

andypoo

• 500 plus
  • 1,865 posts

Bob, i've found that sugar-free pie or cake generally makes my blood sugars go as high as a "regular" dessert would. When i'm at a holiday gathering, I'll tend to have fruit/cheese and a glass of wine rather than a dessert, or i'll have a couple bites of "regular" cheesecake then get rid of the plate.

I do well with regular cheesecake (I stay away from the ones with the fruit glazes though).

Try having just a couple bites of something you enjoy, follow it with cheese, nuts or some type protein and see how your blood sugars react.

It's not fun to have to deny yourself at a party, so just limit your portion size.

Yes,the sugar free stuff has just as many carbs. I agree with you on that,Linda. I eat the "real" stuff ,only small portions.

PrincessLinda has sage advice. I too have found that the sugar free stuff still spikes my BG and tastes bad - aspartain is foul tasting. I count carbs instead and if I'm going to nibble, I make darn sure to make it worthwhile. I tend to stay close to the veggie tray and munch on greens. Not the best desert but at least I have something in my hand, along with a glass of wine.
Happy Turkey day!
Tom

I also take the carbs into account just know what and how many carbs and take novolog accordingly.
Difficulties present choices:
we can either waste away from
our wounds or use them to grow our souls

The balance is,as always,delicate
We are constantly falling off one side are the other.
But the center is always there,waiting for us to discover it.

"Before you know kindness / as the deepest thing inside, / you must know sorrow / as the other deepest thing…. / Then it is only kindness / that makes sense anymore…."

Scrabblechick

Scrabblechick

• 500 plus
  • 1,084 posts
I posted a recipe for a holiday pie, and made the chocolate version for a get-together yesterday. I omitted the s/f chocolate cookies. I used cream cheese, Cool Whip, s/f pudding, 3/4 cup Hood's Calorie Countdown milk and 1/4 cup whipping cream. Made it and put it into a regular cookie crust. Two hours after eating (had some cheese dip, protein), my BG was 98. Three hours it was 114. 4 1/2 hours later, it was 108. So it worked for me, and it was very, very tasty. Can't eat the whole pie, obviously (DARN! :)), but it was a good sweet something. I also had a couple of bites of another sweet or two, but on the whole, behaved myself very well.
Glycemic impact diet; exercise (jujitsu, walking); Metformin 2000 mg;
Victoza, 1.2 mg per day; Enalapril 40 mg; Prevachol
A1C, 11-10: 5.2!:elefant:
A1C, 9-1-09: 5.3!!; A1C, 5-19-09: 5.1!; A1C, 2-12-09: 5.3!; A1C, 11-14-08: 5.2!; A1C, 8-7-08: 6.3; A1C, 5-1-08: 5.6; A1C, 2-5-08: 7.4

Caravaggio

Caravaggio

• 500 plus
  • 2,554 posts
When I was growing up, desserts meant fresh fruits. Since everyone will be bringing the usual desserts, why not bring fresh fruits, cream and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, all spice), and assembly them at the party. Spices make a lot of food seem sweeter than it can actually is.

My recent favorite dessert - dried fruits stewed in orange juice/lemon juice and white wine (or water if you don't prefer white wine). BUT because dried fruits are loaded with fruit sugar, I eat only a little. It's easy to make, can keep for days and can be eaten at room temperature. It's also not your usual dessert, and friends have commented on how "exotic" it is. :D

mrevansx

mrevansx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
My wife made a desert with whole cranberries (blended in a food processor), fat free cream cheese, sugar-free jell-o and about a half cup of splenda so that I could have desert on thanksgiving and it was pretty good when I tested it out. I know it isn't "store bought" but it is really easy and fast to make, just needs to chill for a few hours so has to be made in advance. I added cashew pieces to it after it set up and it was perfectly satisfying and didn't raise my levels above 120.
Michael
Diagnosed 10-13-08
BG:267 A1c:11%

Jill-O

Jill-O

• 500 plus
  • 1,656 posts
Oh, I forgot about one that's good and has very little impact on my blood sugar -- suger free pudding :) :) :)

Posted Image

S. Jill O'Roark -- Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit Online @
www.whinny4me.com

Lantus, Humalog, Daily Exercise

And quit bringing up our forefathers and saying they were civil libertarians. Our founding fathers would have never tolerated any of this... For God's sake, they were blowing peoples' heads off because they put a tax on their breakfast beverage. And it wasn't even coffee.” -- Dennis Miller

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts

Oh, I forgot about one that's good and has very little impact on my blood sugar -- suger free pudding :) :) :)

I've had different results with different brands of SF pudding. Most have been fine but I now avoid stuff under the South Beach Diet brand. Their SF pudding not only messed with my BG, but it had really, really bad gastric side effects. Just one pudding cup; it's not like I went nuts and ate the whole package. I've never had side effects from other SF puddings.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users