Orange

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

dlife

dlife

• Members
  • 164 posts
Are oranges good or bad for diabetics? Since I have been diagnoised I've been taking 2-3 oranges per day. Please let me if it is bad and if so why. Thanks in Advance.

Penny

Penny

• Seniors
  • 6,653 posts
Do you test to see what they do to you. I can eat one if I start out low enough, I think they have a lot of fiber, so don't seem to too much damage. I don't think I could handle even one everyday, but we are all different and maybe you can.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

Caravaggio

Caravaggio

Cool runner

• Seniors
  • 3,007 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
I agree with Penny that you should test to see how many your body can tolerate at a time. My body loves fruit and luckily for me fruits do not result in over-the-roof BG for me.

I read about a research last year or 2 years ago that found that people without diabetes who ate 1-4 oranges a day have lower risks of developing diabetes. The research focused on the Japanese, because some Japanese and other Asians believe that oranges can cause diabetes.

In any case, better to have the fruit and all the wonderful nutrients in it than pills or supplements.

xMenace

xMenace

• Seniors
  • 11,118 posts
I find oranges ok but not orange juice.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

matingara

matingara

• Seniors
  • 2,175 posts
an average orange has about 17g of carbs.

that is a lot of carbs for some people!!!

you really need to test 1/2/3 hours after eating an orange to see what it does to you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
do not click here...

NUMBERS
-----------------
May 2010 : A1C (home) 5.5%: Feb 2010: A1C (home): 5.2% Oct 2009: A1C: 5.7%;
Triglycerides: 53 (0.6); HDL chol: 50 (1.2); LDL chol: 19.5 (0.5); total cholesterol 87.5
Lantus before bed - 30u; Novorapid for meals (averaging 20-30u per day); Lowish carb diet

HuskerMychal

HuskerMychal

• Seniors
  • 725 posts
I can eat a orange but not OJ. A banana, fergetaboutit, Half a apple is ok, or I can eat dried apples no prob
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Humulin U-500 Pumping Pink Ping
Metformin 850mg 3x a day
Cpap 18 Cm H2o with Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask
Aspirin 162 mg a day
Zetia 10mg a day
Tricor 145mg a day
Benazepril 20mg a day
Dyazide 27.5-25mg a day
Metoprolol 50mg a day
Lyrica 50mg 2x day
Vicadin 325 x 5 2x a day
Fish Oil - Glucostimine - Vit D

Kanga

Kanga

• Members
  • 369 posts
I cannot eat any fruit at the moment without a nasty spike in my BGL but this is what I found out about Oranges for those who can tollerate fruit.........

Food Item:Oranges, raw
Food Quantity: 1 orange
Carbs: 15.4g
Dietary Fiber: 3.1g
Net Carbs: 12.3g

Orange and Diet Nutrition

The nutritional value of fruit, like Orange, makes it an excellent choice for both weight control and general health. Fruit contains energy-giving fructose (low on the glycemic index), several essential vitamins and minerals, phytochemicals, plus dietary fiber for better health, digestion and blood glucose control.

[URL="http://www.carbs-information.com/carbohydrate-fruit/carbs-in-orange.htm"]This is the Info here[/URL]
Be nicer than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Posted Image

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,065 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Hubby and I generally half an orange and I do okay with it. I find I tolerate a small green apple or pear better though.

It's all about testing and seeing how your blood sugars respond, as we are all different in our tolerances...and sometimes our tolerances change...testing is the key!

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

fgummett

fgummett

• Seniors
  • 7,916 posts

Fruit contains energy-giving fructose

that means sugar ;)

ksxroads

ksxroads

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
love fruit but had to reduce how much due to spikes - half a banana...apple or pears better, and I switched from oranges to those little clementines ... though they are not always availble in my area.

pdxdennisj

pdxdennisj

• Seniors
  • 578 posts
A 3.5 oz Orange has 15 carbs. It is the carbs we are concerned with. I try to limit my carb intake to 40 per meal (high by the standards of some here on the board). 15 carbs is over one third of my carb intake for a meal. I can do it but I have to be very careful about the rest of my meal. Three oranges a day would be over one third my daily intake of carbs. I, for one, would not want to limit my other intake so much.
PDXDENNISJDx 1/92
2x 850mg Metformin
2x 15u NPN
2x 10 Byetta

MClark

MClark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Hi,
If I eat an orange by readings can go up to 180 or 200, so I stay away from them. I can eat pears and berries with no problems. Like others have already stated, test after you eat and see how your body is reacting. YMMV.
Cheers.
Mylene
MClark

Diagnosed 7/25/07; a1c 11.2:(
11/26/07; a1c 6.2 ;)
03/15/08; a1c 5.9:D
03/23/09; a1c 7.0 :eek:
09/30/09; a1c 6.6 :)
05/12/10: a1c 6.6 :cool:
05/12: a1c 8.9 :mad:
Metformin 1000, twice a day
Fallen off the LC diet wagon
Need to get cracking on the exercise

"Be the change you wish to see in the world". :elefant:

Kanga

Kanga

• Members
  • 369 posts

that means sugar ;)

yes I know that :T That was all a quote from the link I provided at the bottom of my post for the OP.... personally I cannot eat any fruit atm as it sends my bgl skyrocketing; which is tough on me as I used to be known as the fruit fly I loved fruit so much ;)
Be nicer than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Posted Image

dlife

dlife

• Members
  • 164 posts
Thanks all. I am newly diaognised and everything seems so confusing to me right now. I thought orange won't do any harm...and used gulp down one each time I am hungry. And as for testing I should start doing it....that's a whole other story and makes the subject matter for another thread :-))Thanks a lot though. Your inputs are invaluable for me at this point.

Kerstin

Kerstin

• Members
  • 470 posts
Oranges cause my BG to spike big time, so the only time I can have one is when I am hiking or doing something else that uses alot of energy (sugar). OJ?? Oh heck no! Would not even try going there...tho back in the day I used to love screwdrivers. Unfortunately now I cannot have the screw or the driver!
:pcguru:
A1c

5.9 on 4/29/11 (off meds 4 months meds- after gastric bypass)
6.1 on 9/27/09
5.6 on 4/12/09:o
5.9 on 12/14/08 :(
5.3 on 10/7/08:elefant:
6.3 on 6/1/08:mad:
9/27/09: Triglyc:214:eek: , HDL 42, LDL 74
4/12/09:Triglyc: 111, HDL: 46, LDL: 94,
4/29/11 Tri:89, HDL 46, LDL 57

Exercise= Recumbent exercise bike, stair climbing, walking my dogs
:stickyman
Meds:
Zocor 80mg
Wellbuterin
Advir
Lumagin
Vitamens
Herbs
FishOil

jps

jps

• Seniors
  • 1,105 posts
I guess what this thread proves is everybody responds differently to different foods, hence the importance of testing to see how you are affected.

I tried an orange once early on in my diagnosis. I went above 200. So I haven't had one since. In fact, I avoided ALL fruits until recently - after dropping weight. With the weight drop, for me, insulin resistance has decreased pretty significantly. I've infused some fruits back into my diet. Bananas, apples, berries, pears, canteloupe, honeydew - I haven't had a two hour above 100 with any of these. I'll probably try an orange again soon just to compare. Oh, and because I love them too.
"That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users