All you can eat buffets

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

duck

duck

• Seniors
  • 6,671 posts
Does anyone here ever eat at "all-you-can-eat" buffets? Am I being suicidal if I do?

:whistling
Look what you've done to this rock-n-roll clown!

nantomsuethom

nantomsuethom

• Seniors
  • 1,092 posts
We eat at "all you can eat" buffets often. Thomas usually does pretty good. He sticks to the meats and veggies but always has a little icecream (ice milk).
They are bad for anyone. We feel like we need to get our money's worth and end up eating more than we do on Thanksgiving!! :o
Nancy

Thomas (13) diagnosed Sept 24th, 2003, a week before his 10th birthday, pumping since Deecember 2003 - Animas 1250

archimeech

archimeech

• Seniors
  • 1,514 posts
When I was a high-metabolism teenager I used to eat at them all the time. even with having diabetes I could consume 5000-6000 calories a day and still be hungry. I look at a buffet now and my sugar rises about 100 points!

the only advantage is you can select exactly what you'd like to eat instead of getting handed a plate from the kitchen with their idea of dinner on it.

mg_2204

mg_2204

• Seniors
  • 3,271 posts
Went once (long ago!) to this all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet. We were 12 and 5 were sick. My husband was one of them. It was the first and last time I ever went to an all-you-can-eat. I can't eat more than a normal size meal anyway.

kcwinter

kcwinter

• Members
  • 196 posts
Dh and I go sometimes. He loves them. All I can see is what I can't have but want. I usually try to be reall good that day eat the right things and excerise. this way I'm hoping to get by just being in the 200 rang.

I tell dh give me the heads up for when we go and get ice cream.

Batty

Batty

• Members
  • 456 posts
i havent been to one in years.

*drools thinking about it*

the food at the all-you-can-eat resturarnts arent that great around here...but still! you can have chinese with mexican and not pay and tip two delievery guys!

duck

duck

• Seniors
  • 6,671 posts
So here comes more questions from duck, then: Is it "bad" for a diabetic to go to an all you can eat buffet as long as that diabetic takes enough insulin to be "normal" within two hours?

There is an EXCELLENT sushi buffet down here in Manassas...and I mean EXCELLENT with a capital "X" ( :king: ). The wife and I go allll the time. And we do still go to other buffets, but since I am noticing Chinese food beats me up pretty good (blood sugar-wise), I have cut back on it in all forms.

Someone from my new job was suprised to find out I am diabetic, because I am "like no diabetic" they have ever known...In other words, I eat what I want, don't visibly shoot up, don't look skinny, etc. I guess I should take that as a compliment, but then I wonder if "other" diabetics don't eat like me for a reason?

--Confused in the buffet line :confused:

:P
Look what you've done to this rock-n-roll clown!

Batty

Batty

• Members
  • 456 posts

Someone from my new job was suprised to find out I am diabetic, because I am "like no diabetic" they have ever known...In other words, I eat what I want, don't visibly shoot up, don't look skinny, etc. I guess I should take that as a compliment, but then I wonder if "other" diabetics don't eat like me for a reason? :P

i eat what i want, when i want, without extra shoot ups. and i'm not skinny(but not...like...fat =/). mmmmmmmmm i had a marz bar the other day for lunch while we were fixing the paint in the house.

zookeeper671

zookeeper671

• Seniors
  • 1,138 posts
It's been a while since I've been to a buffet. My last buffet experience was so horrible that I think it scarred me for life. Went out with my bf, his parents and his son for a dinner buffet. Just as we arrived, an entire tour-bus-full of hyper, pre-teen, boy, soft-ball players unloaded. Ended up having to "mortal combat" our way to a table and calculatingly time our trips to the trough. Three quarters of the way through the meal, bf's son became wrestless and ended up sitting on my lap (to keep him calm) where he proceeded to toot until everyone finished. Never again...
Posted ImagePosted Image

archimeech

archimeech

• Seniors
  • 1,514 posts
Duck, confucious say," take care at Chinese Buffet! High sugar come later for free!"

I used to go to Chinese buffets all the time, and all the time my sugar would skyrocket. Depending on the type of Sushi I eat, it will do the same thing. Couple of smaller sushi places here are all fully cooked (wich I actually prefer-don't like the texture of Sashimi) My sugar is fine when I go to them. The ones that kill me are the true raw-bar Sashimi places. Something about the stuff they marinate all the meats in. I had maybe 2 orders (about 10 pieces) of sashimi at this one place; before the meal my suagar was 140, I checked it right after we finished it was 500!

So be carefull, number one ducksan! Confucious say,"Asian Buffet like Forest Gump running a Used Car Lot. Buyer beware! Becuase you never know what you're gonna get!"

TAutry

TAutry

Ex-moderator

• Seniors
  • 1,506 posts
I don't do it often, but I do visit the occasional buffet. I find that it offers enough variety that I can find things I will enjoy and can eat. My wife likes some things that I don't and it gives her a chance to have them.

The key, as will all diabetes management, is discipline and self-control. I am long past being a member of the 'clean plate club'. No matter how many stories I hear of 'starving children in _______", I don't mind leaving food if I have reached my limit. I strictly monitor my intake of carbs, even at the buffet. Although I love macaroni and cheese, I'll opt for a small 'sample' instead of a heaping plateful.

Like Arch said, in years past I could eat thousands of calories and still be hungry. I recall, fondly, the college days where I and four friends would hit the local pizza buffet weekly. We would storm it and lay it waste like Vikings on shore leave!!! :- Ahh, the good old days. ;)

Travis

Belinda

Belinda

• Seniors
  • 2,360 posts
I do them on occasion and even a pizza one :) . I just watch what I eat and do the best I can. The kicker for me is to check bs more often since I am always not sure what they cook with or the fat content and that messes me up some. :whistling
Posted Image Belinda

"- work as if you don't need money, - love as if you've never been hurt, -
dance, as if nobody can see you, - sing, as if no one can hear, - live, as
if the Earth was a heaven."

Eri's mom

Eri's mom

• Seniors
  • 2,037 posts
The only buffet we go to is the Chinese buffet...Eri eats sushi and crab legs. I think only her little sister can outdo her on the crab legs...amazing how fast they can tear into those things and down plate after plate.
I make her get water, so after that, she's not too high at all. I make her watch her sushi intake.
At the raw sushi bar we like, she's into the shumai...and that doesn't effect her too bad at all.

Brent44a

Brent44a

• Members
  • 231 posts
I also visit the buffets occassionally. I once had an aversion to them because I never ate large meals and figured I could do better in a different type of restaurant. Of course that was before I had to watch what I ate and before I became old enough to enjoy food :thumbsup: I like them all, Chinese, pizza, etc. I think what I like best is the variety of items and I still try to not consume too much :whistling

Littlebit63_99

Littlebit63_99

• Members
  • 302 posts
There is a buffet near us called "Hometown Buffet"......we love it!!!!! I eat the proteins that I can find that I like and really enjoy the salad bar.

They serve breakfast on the weekends and occasionally we go.........I eat eggs and bacon and sausgage........easy on the b/s levels, but kind of tough on the cholesterol level......but, hey! that's what the lipitor is for, right??????? :-

My partner Jeff likes the chinese buffets.....but, it is harder to find suitable foods there. I go once in a while because he likes it. We do go to one that has crab legs.....so, if I don't have to fight my way to them, then it is a good experience. I am amazed at the people at those buffets who will load a plate overflowing with crab legs when there are other people who might want them also. Soryy, venting there, wasn't I?????? :eek:
You gotta love life! :D
((hugs)) to all, take care

Liz

Type I 38 yrs, 8 yrs 507, 2 yr's 512, got a break from the pump, AND................... transplant!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

gettingby

gettingby

• Seniors
  • 10,037 posts
My family eats at "all you can eat buffets" sometimes and it's really not too bad on my bg's. I usually take advantage of the salad bar and have "small" amounts of the foods I like. My mom's whole family (brothers and sister, spouses, whole nine yards) went to an all you can eat buffet about a month ago. My great uncle and I are the diabetics. We both checked b4 we ate (me:105, him: 115). Two hours later, we checked again. Me: 129, him : 200. I guess I had smaller portions than him. :D

:P 

~Cin~
Mom always says I'm special. Hmmm........wonder what she means by that?? LOL.
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched, they must be felt with the heart.
~Helen Keller~

Eri's mom

Eri's mom

• Seniors
  • 2,037 posts

I am amazed at the people at those buffets who will load a plate overflowing with crab legs when there are other people who might want them also. Soryy, venting there, wasn't I?????? :eek:

LOL...that's why I ALWAYS go up w/ my kids now...my son once came back with, I SWEAR, the entire pan of them...his plate was LOADED...I was mortified(this was when he was 9)...Now they know 2 - 3...granted, they end up there a LOT, but it's good exercising getting up and down.

I forgot about Sweet tomato's...Eri LOVES that place :)

rzrbks

rzrbks

• Seniors
  • 4,673 posts
  • LocationHogwarts, Hobbiton, Galactic Milieu
  • I am a:Type 1.5
We go once every coupl of months. I don't have trouble if I do a good job of counting carbs and include a good mixture of food types. I even allow myself a small dessert :thumbsup:

Actually, I tend to over "guestimate" the carbs and often wind up in the 75/4.1--85/4.7 range. BUt then I 'd rather be hypo than hyper Any day.
"I am wounded," he said, "wounded, and it will never heal."

Frodo to Samwise

LauRa Lu

LauRa Lu

• Seniors
  • 1,217 posts
i've never heard of an all you can eat buffet, wish i knew where i could find one they sound fab! :P

:hahaha: :bebored::sheep:
----------------------------

The pages I've turned are the lessons I've learned - The rest is still unwritten..

archimeech

archimeech

• Seniors
  • 1,514 posts

i've never heard of an all you can eat buffet, wish i knew where i could find one they sound fab! :P

Why, dear Laura, don't you know that we Americans do everything to excess!! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users