Getting off Medication

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

shel

shel

• 500 plus
  • 181 posts
I'm sick of taking medication, and since my illness is pretty well controlled, I'd like to take some steps to get off medication completely and just use diet and more exercise to do so.

Any suggestions for making the jump to being medication free? Has anyone done it? How'd you do it?
Kind regards,
Shel

Barberian

Barberian

• 500 plus
  • 583 posts
My brother is also a type 2. He is 4 years older than me. He's been much worse off with his diabetes, but n the last year, he's lost so much weight, he's basicly a stick figure. He was able to quit insulin along with all his other diabetic medications. He is unable to do any physical actiity due to a bum ticker, so basicly he gets up. cleans up, watches tv, and then goes to bed. He tests now and then, but always has good #'s. He is the only one I know who "beat" diabets (*type 2).
Type 2 - Diagnosed 1998, A1c 9.3 Sept 2
Glipizide 5mg x 2 twice daily, Metphormin 1000mg twice daily,Gabapentin 400mg x3 3times daily
Valsartan 320mg daily, Amlodipine Besylate 10mg daily, Hydroxyzine Pamoate 50mg every 6hrs
Asprin 81 daily, Tramadol 50mg x2 three times daily, Ibuprofn 800mg 3 times daily
Nefazodone 200mg x2 nightly, Lantus 40 units nightly

Posted Image

Evermont

Evermont

• 500 plus
  • 3,368 posts
I didn't stop taking meds exactly - I just never started.

It's not a big deal really. I went back and read your posts to date. Seems like you're in pretty good shape and your doc supports your making decisions like this.

Just do it.

Monitor your BG regularly and keep doing the right things. If it's not working you'll find out soon enough. Unless your numbers get way out of whack I'd do 3 months and get an A1c then re-evaluate from there.

You didn't say much about what meds you're on and how much, but just remember that it might take as long to wear off as it did to build up (e.g. Metformin takes weeks I hear).

shel

shel

• 500 plus
  • 181 posts
While it's still to early to draw a conclusion, I've been off meds for two days now, and, through something like six or eight tests, BS readings ranged from 78 to 94, with most in the mid-eighties range. This morning, before eating, it was 79, so I decided to try a small bowl of oatmeal (1/4 cup oats) with a good dash of cassia cinnamon and 1/2 of a small banana. I'm anxious to see the test results in a couple of hours.

Oh, I'll add a nice long walk to today's exercise routine. I had a good walk yesterday as well.
Kind regards,
Shel

phey

phey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
My grand father has done it. He is highblood person, he's a strong man even if he's old. He's fighting its weakness, now he's doing better because of everyday exercise and eating veggies and herbal plants.

GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

While it's still to early to draw a conclusion, I've been off meds for two days now, and, through something like six or eight tests, BS readings ranged from 78 to 94, with most in the mid-eighties range. This morning, before eating, it was 79, so I decided to try a small bowl of oatmeal (1/4 cup oats) with a good dash of cassia cinnamon and 1/2 of a small banana. I'm anxious to see the test results in a couple of hours.

Oh, I'll add a nice long walk to today's exercise routine. I had a good walk yesterday as well.

I'm surprised that this thread stopped all of a sudden.
I am very curious how you are doing after 2 days off your meds (now, it must be 2 years).

djt1344

djt1344

• 500 plus
  • 702 posts
Yeah, I am curious to what happened to Shel? Anyone knows?

Daniel

GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Yeah, I am curious to what happened to Shel? Anyone knows?

Daniel

I thought I saw Shel post recently in another thread.

Beethree

Beethree

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
I was diagnosed in November, and had been taking 2x500 Metformin until last month. In that period of time, I made drastic changes to by diet and activity, and lost around 55 pounds (From 252 to 196) . My A1C came in at 4.9 on March 1st, and have been off Metformin since then.
My daily readings seemed to clim about 2 weeks after stopping the Metformin, but are now back down to where they were before I stopped. I have not had a new A1C since - it will be interesting.
I do think that even though I am pretty well disciplined, I have to be extra careful, for when I do have a few extra carbs at a meal, I go up a little higher and stay there longer.
In order to keep my daily carbs around 100+, I make sure that my snacks have some good carbs in them, and I also make sure that the carbs in my meals are good ones. I also take some extra carbs at meals that precede workouts, and try to do some modest activity (walking, stationary bike) after each meal if possible.
The Metformin did provide a little cushion, and was probably invaluable while I was learning and getting my fasting numbers down from around 300 to where they are now, but it is nice to be off it, knowing that if things start to get out of control, it remains an option.

craigj

craigj

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

I'm sick of taking medication, and since my illness is pretty well controlled, I'd like to take some steps to get off medication completely and just use diet and more exercise to do so.

Any suggestions for making the jump to being medication free? Has anyone done it? How'd you do it?

I've been on and off oral meds for the last few years since dx.
Coming off is pretty hard and at first requires much tighter diet and more exercise. ie exercise after EVERY meal to keep the spikes down and taper slowly off the meds, not just stop completely come off & monitor levels closely. I found it requires a different diet too, you'll need to figure that one out for yourself. But eating 3 big meals a day was better for me off meds and 4-5 smaller meals on them. I can actually eat more carbs off of meds (weird i know). But exercise should be your key..You should be able to lower any level with the right exercise!
Don't be disenheartened at first, your body should start to cope better after a month or so, and even more after 3 months.

jps

jps

• 500 plus
  • 1,105 posts
It is possible.

I don't know if I'll avoid meds forever, but that's my intention. As it stands now, I've been off meds for 14 months.

It took a complete overhaul of my outlook on life and food. And dedication to stick with the new way of living.

Eating right and exercising have become as routine for me as brushing my teeth and going to work. They are no longer optional, they are requirements.

I got there through very, very low carb and exercise. I've maintained the med-free lifestyle with low-ish carb (of the natural variety) and exercise. I still avoid processed foods, but allow for all fruits and vegetables and nuts.
"That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted Image

GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

It is possible.

I don't know if I'll avoid meds forever, but that's my intention. As it stands now, I've been off meds for 14 months.

It took a complete overhaul of my outlook on life and food. And dedication to stick with the new way of living.

Eating right and exercising have become as routine for me as brushing my teeth and going to work. They are no longer optional, they are requirements.

I got there through very, very low carb and exercise. I've maintained the med-free lifestyle with low-ish carb (of the natural variety) and exercise. I still avoid processed foods, but allow for all fruits and vegetables and nuts.

Thanks for that post, and the chart. Nice job!
Just curious, how tall are you? You have lost a lot of weight. Great job!

djt1344

djt1344

• 500 plus
  • 702 posts
Thanks for the encouragements guys, I used to play tennis and train for it as well each day for 3 hours at the very least and know that that can't be done anymore because of work and getting older. I am striving to incorporate once the weather here in NYC gets better to do tennis for 2 hours twice a week but supplement that with walking at nights after work and dinner and some time in the gym. I hope my goals of ascertaining fbg of 100-120 and losing another 15 pounds are realistic.
Daniel

jps

jps

• 500 plus
  • 1,105 posts

Thanks for that post, and the chart. Nice job!
Just curious, how tall are you? You have lost a lot of weight. Great job!

I'm 5-9.

With exercise, I always do cardio and resistance training. For a period there, I was doing much more cardio than resistance and my weight dropped down to 156. I didn't like it. Looked great as far as the scale and the outdated BMI range was concerned, but I was definitely "too skinny". People commented on it, my face started to sink in. So I gave a much larger part of my workout routine to resistance training and less to the cardio. As expected, the weight started to come back - but it was "good" weight. Now I am at 166 and I feel great and look much better than when I was at 156. I don't like that I'm close to the upper end of BMI, so I decided it's a horse&&&& way to measure my health. My body fat percentage is between 10 and 11 percent. I think BMI might be decent for a general guideline, but if your body fat percentage drops down to a strong level, then the BMI will be skewed. Afterall, muscle is much more dense than fat. So instead of using BMI and weight as a guideline, I'm using body fat percentage, my waist size, waist to hip ratio, and just my general feeling to tell me how fit I am.
"That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted Image

GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

I'm 5-9.

With exercise, I always do cardio and resistance training. For a period there, I was doing much more cardio than resistance and my weight dropped down to 156. I didn't like it. Looked great as far as the scale and the outdated BMI range was concerned, but I was definitely "too skinny". People commented on it, my face started to sink in. So I gave a much larger part of my workout routine to resistance training and less to the cardio. As expected, the weight started to come back - but it was "good" weight. Now I am at 166 and I feel great and look much better than when I was at 156. I don't like that I'm close to the upper end of BMI, so I decided it's a horse&&&& way to measure my health. My body fat percentage is between 10 and 11 percent. I think BMI might be decent for a general guideline, but if your body fat percentage drops down to a strong level, then the BMI will be skewed. Afterall, muscle is much more dense than fat. So instead of using BMI and weight as a guideline, I'm using body fat percentage, my waist size, waist to hip ratio, and just my general feeling to tell me how fit I am.

Thanks and continued success!!!

georgepds

georgepds

• 500 plus
  • 1,044 posts

My brother...tests now and then, but always has good #'s. He is the only one I know who "beat" diabets (*type 2).

The other guy is Davin Mendosa, a diabetes blogger (in the sense that he no longer takes medication). We never really "beat" it, we just bring it under control

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users