• 500 plus
  • 184 posts
Sorry for opening another thread on I:C,
formula for rapid acting insulin is
1800 devided by TDD
here TDD means in my case Novorapid+Lantus
OR
Only Novorapid?
two different methods I read on net in which one says total daily dose of insulin and another mentions humalog or novolog means only bolus shots,me confuse on this.
rt now I am calculating TDD as novorapid+Lantus units.
My daughter
Found T1 on April 21st 2008
Takes Humalog and Lantus,total 4 shots.
Her C-Pep in May08 was 0.53.
Last Hb1Ac=7.5,I wish she can achieve around 6 or below.

Psycho Penguin

Psycho Penguin

Banned

• Banned
  • 991 posts
I am probably wrong, but it doesn't make sense to count lantus since thats long lasting and you take the same amount every day, right? It probably just counts rapid insulin, since I only use I:C ratio for rapids.
Type 1 diabetic since February 2008

Novalog: sliding scale as needed
Lantus 40u at night

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PsychoPenguin
twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ohheyitsPP

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
I don't know anything about the details of these formulas. But, TDD means total daily dose of basal and bolus.

I'm not sure you'll get anywhere at with just a number and TDD for developing an I:C ratio (that's what you want is it?) For a start it misses out a vital variable - carbs.

Off the top of my head a half-useful way to do it would be to guestimate the number of grams of carbs being consumed daily and divide by current total bolus. So, as an example it might come out to something like 12, meaning 12 grams of carbs to 1 unit insulin. Probably put it up a little to make the likelihood of hypo less. This should give you something rough to start from. From there the only way is to test and observe and modify accordingly. It's an ongoing process.

There may be other ways to "calculate it". But once you get in the ballpark, it's going to be trial and error.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

sweetlife

sweetlife

• 500 plus
  • 184 posts
Subby and Pshycho
This I need to use bolus calculator which m already using with TDD as total dose incl Basal units for my daughter,this query would never imerge untill I saw some sites which tells that only rapid action insulin's total dose should be counted where they wrote humalog or novolog hence came this confusion.
I too feel that TDD means Total Daily(bolus+basal)dose.
for your info her I:C is 7.5.
My daughter

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,114 posts
This method IMO should only be used for estimating initial doses. It's an average value, and most of our optimal numbers will be slightly different. I find my I:C's by eating the same meal for a week or two then titrating (making adjustments) my dose until I find a value that works.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

mageerobin

mageerobin

• 500 plus
  • 250 posts
I'm still getting my settings set with CDE's help and he used the formula to get a starting point to program into my pump. And we've discovered for me that just as I need different basal rates at different times of the day, I also need different IC ratios. I just began testing before a meal and two hours after a meal, to see which IC's need to change.

Sometimes it comes down to trial and error. Just keep good records.
Always remember,

"No matter where you go, there you are."

sweetlife

sweetlife

• 500 plus
  • 184 posts
Little offtopic related to posted subject but someone mentioned a formula like below for rapid acting shot calculation,no idea how this work out.
BS reading -(minus)100=X
now X devided by 20=Y
Y is the bolus shot.
Funny formula,any idea or any of you ever heard of it?This method has absolute no relations with any ratio,just a rough labourman's calculation it looks like!
------just posted this for discussion,above has no scientific base--------
My daughter

fairyblood

fairyblood

• 500 plus
  • 233 posts
Sweetlife,

BS reading -(minus)100=X
now X devided by 20=Y
Y is the bolus shot.

That is someone personal formula for what their body needs, but what we all need is different. It reads like this 100 is the goal blood sugar (this can be set to whatever you think is best) the divided by 20 is how much someone's blood sugar goes down for each unit of insulin. So this persons blood sugar goes down 20mg/dl for every one unit. This formula is would be different for everyone. For example for me I have it like this.

BS reading -(minus)80=X
now X devided by 25=Y
Y is the bolus shot.

But something for your 11 year old daughter would be really different. Overall though it is a great way to figure out how much insulin you need to take for a high blood sugar once you know your ratio.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users