• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

jimbethel

jimbethel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

My name is Jim and I am a lymphoma cancer survivor and pre-diabetic. My count is typically about 125. For the last 6 months my sense of smell is very keen. I have the ability to detect when somebody comes into the room by smell. I can also smell myself. My odor is a sickening sweet smell leaning towards a chemical trace. Using Ocean saline nasal spray will eliminate the smell for a few minutes. My wife can't detect the smell. I can go thru my home and tell where I have spent a good amount of time by smell. Has anybody experienced this condition?

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts
Hi Jim and welcome here. Once years ago, I was sure I had a bad odor, no one else could smell it but me, even my doctor could not. But to me it was so strong and about made me sick. We finally figured out I had a sinus infection, even though I had no other symptoms. A course of antibiotics took care of that problem within a few days. It's something you could check out anyway. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

EeyoreButterfly

EeyoreButterfly

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
I'm not sure, but it seems like I read somewhere that a heightened sense of smell can be a side effet of chemotherapy. I've not heard of it being related to diabetes (except for a fruity smell on your breath when your blood sugar is way too high), but then I haven't been at this long.
Posted Image
Jessi 26
Type 2? BS Range (39-330)
Diet and Exercise

One Touch Ultra Mini Purple named Rosalie
A1C: 5.7

Amelie

Amelie

• 500 plus
  • 123 posts
I don't really have a problem with my own odor, but I can relate to having a sensitive nose. I have an extremely keen sense of smell too. People tell me I could put the sniffer dogs at the airport out of business. ;)

For example, I can be in the bedroom, and I know when my husband is eating an apple in the living room because I can smell the apple. I can't hear him biting into it, but I can smell it!

I also know when food is done cooking by its smell, and I can tell when it's starting to turn bad long before anyone else can.

I can also smell bad odors that no one else can. An electrician was here doing some work, and left a hole in the wall, and the musty smell coming out of the hole is almost almost unbearable for me, but my husband can't smell a thing.

I tend to get on people's nerves when I talk about smelling strange odors. They think I must be imagining things, but I've found the source of the odors enough times that I know I'm not imagining things, I just have a really unusually good sense of smell. It's my superpower, I guess. ;)

That would be interesting if it were somehow related to diabetes.

I have Type II Diabetes, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, and Hypothyroidism.

My diabetes was diagnosed on July 18, 2008.

A1C:
July 2008: 9.0 :mad:
October 2008: 5.9 :)
January 2009: 5.6 :D

Diabetes Medication:
Metformin 500 MG Twice a day

I've gone from a size 22 to a size 14 since July '08.

scarlet

scarlet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Jim,

I can relate. Fairly recently I have been able to detect smells and can identify which person was recently sitting somewhere or if my husband was recently in the room. It's gotten so bad that I cannot cuddle with my husband first thing in the morning. (we sleep in separate bedrooms because of apnea/snoring) Its maddening.

I'm hoping it's because I'm still adjusting to my new meds (diagnosed 9/08) but I have actually made my husband shower before coming to the breakfast table! lol

Here's to it being temporary!

livelong

livelong

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
All last summer I had this smell on me that smelled like after you eat a glazed donut and the sugar is still on your hands. It was really noticeable on my hands and my wife could even smell if I ask her to smell my hands up close:dontknow: . I would wash my hands and it would be back within an hour. It finally went away. I do not take any medications at all so it was not medicine. My BG 90% of the time is under 120 after meals so it was not some high BG causing it. I do have a little better smell than my wife but no hound dog smell like Amelie.;)
Ben

05/2008 A1C=6.6 BMI=27.6 Cholesterol=210 HDL=54 LDL=140
06/2008 A1C=6.1 BMI=27.1
11/2008 A1C=5.9 BMI=25.0
06/2009 A1C=6.0 BMI=23.5
07/2009 A1C=5.7 BMI=22.3
10/2009 A1C=5.5 BMI-22.0 Cholesterol=173 HDL=54 LDL=107
NO MEDICATIONS

AngelKitty

AngelKitty

• 500 plus
  • 1,564 posts
Hi Jim,
My husband call me a "blood hound". I know exactly what you are talking about, having an exceptional sense of smell drives me nuts sometimes, detecting smells and odours that others can't is annoying - sometimes my hubby thinks I'm making it up until we pin point the source. I could actually smell the change of my body before I was diagnosed as a T1. I remember the Dr asking me why I thought I had diabetes and I remember replying that I could smell it on my skin! They thought I was nuts! Anyhoo, just thought I'd let you know you're not alone on this one, :)

:angel: AngelKitty

Dx T1 Sept 2008
Pumping NovoRapid with Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm 722 - nicknamed Schultz

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,197 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
This seems to be a pattern. I have a very very keen sense of smell. My husband says "you can smell and ant fart at fifty paces".... it is true!

I bath twice a day because I think I don't smell good if I don't.

Intersting!!
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

robbytype2

robbytype2

• 500 plus
  • 240 posts
weird, i have strange hightend smell , but i noticed before i started taking meds my breath had a strong sweet smell to it , i think i have heard other diabetics complain of sweet smelling breath and sweat , lol i even thought my urine smelt like sugar but since meds my breathe not so sweet smelling

robbytype2

robbytype2

• 500 plus
  • 240 posts

This seems to be a pattern. I have a very very keen sense of smell. My husband says "you can smell and ant fart at fifty paces".... it is true!

I bath twice a day because I think I don't smell good if I don't.

Intersting!!

lol just had to add i shower at least 2x a day also ..so your not a freak :D or i am too :eek: my wife just does not understand why i cant go a day without 2 showers??i cant even wear a shirt if it sat in the washer to long before drying if they do not go into drier shortly after wash is done i think they smell nasty like mildew :confused: o.k i could be a freak

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,197 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
NOOOO Your not!!! I have to take clothes out of the washer almost immediately or they get washed again. They do smell sour or moldy. Wow.... this is weird.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AngelKitty

AngelKitty

• 500 plus
  • 1,564 posts

Intersting!!

Ha, ha, ha LOL oh you made me laugh.
Your husband and my husband would have a ball if they got together!

:angel: AngelKitty

Dx T1 Sept 2008
Pumping NovoRapid with Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm 722 - nicknamed Schultz

RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg

• 500 plus
  • 131 posts
  • LocationSo Cal
  • I am a:Type 2

lol just had to add i shower at least 2x a day also ..so your not a freak :D or i am too :eek: my wife just does not understand why i cant go a day without 2 showers??i cant even wear a shirt if it sat in the washer to long before drying if they do not go into drier shortly after wash is done i think they smell nasty like mildew :confused: o.k i could be a freak

Your not a freak:T If I forget to move a load to the dryer, I just fire up the washer again. I know the towels are gonna smell like unwashed feet, the locker room in high school or just plain b.o. I've gotten to the point of only 1 shower a day, but before I was diagnosed I could shower 2-3 times a day and still not feel clean.:confused:

Rob43

Rob43

• 500 plus
  • 2,856 posts
I also have bad smell in nose that nobody smells other then me. Sometimes it's real strong. My BG has be high in 400 range and could this be causing this smell problem? It's more like a chemcial smell then a fruit smell.

Thanks, Rob

howdysf

howdysf

• 500 plus
  • 597 posts
maybe it's just your upper lip... ha ha j/k :-
Diagnosed T1 5/3/07
Check out my band Howdy!
www.outlawfolk.com

genie86333

genie86333

• 500 plus
  • 2,191 posts
Hi, Rob, I'm no doc, but I had a couple of thoughts:

Maybe a sinus infection, especially since your BS has been running high? Or maybe something to do with your nerves?

avsje

avsje

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have had that same smell. I can go thru my apartment and tell where I have spent a good amount of time. I mainly smell it in my bedroom, when I wake up in the morning. I am prediabetic, informed by the doctors over four years ago. My numbers are from 98 to 104. I eat a low carb, high protein diet, with Metformin 250mg approx. every 5 hours with a meal (Max 1250 mg/day. I never take a whole tablet of 500mg, I cut it in half).
My co-workers can even smell it. I have been offered breath mints by different people. I tried a test, I ate some high carbs (oatmeal), and the smell was still there. Next, I ate from low to almost no carbs at all, and the smell was still there. At this moment, I am not sure exactly what is causing the smell that is obviously coming from my breath. If there are an professionals out there (doctors, nurses) please respond. In the mean time, I will schedule an appt. with the diabetic doctor. I just recently noticed this smell, around a month ago. So, something has changed. I hope the doctor can explain it.

I am aware of Ketones/acetones, the by-products of fat metabolism, when the body uses fatty acids as an energy source. But why now...? Why did this odor start just a month ago and not four years ago?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users