corn meal/flour

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

jkane13

jkane13

• Members
  • 386 posts
I have been trying to avoid any kind of flour and such. While trying to pick out something to eat at a Mexican restaurant, it occurred to me that corn tortillas are made with corn, and not wheat. (Duh!) Still starch and sugar, but how do the two compare?

Is eating corn tortillas better, worse, or the same?
-Jeff

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,128 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Jeff, the best way to determine if this is something you can tolerate is to eat the tortilla and see what your blood sugar is 2 hrs after the first bite.

I find I can tolerate ONE flour tortilla with no problems. I have had ONE enchilada on the corn meal tortilla with pretty much the same results. Generally though, if I know I am going to a mexican restaurant, i'll order fajitas, which I can enjoy even w/o the tortilla. I tolerate the refried beans well also, so I can get quite full even without the tortillas.

If you are having Mexican at home, try the Mission Brand low-carb tortillas (available at Walmart). I heat these in a skillet until brown, then wrap in foil and keep warm in the oven til time to eat. You could even bring your own low-carb tortillas with you to the restaurant (yes, i've done this before):D .

I've been surprised at how well I tolerate Mexican food.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

uhoh

uhoh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
The same goes for me! I stay away from tortillas period.

cyberus

cyberus

• Seniors
  • 1,182 posts
Much like hominy, corn tortillas effect depends on both you and the manufacturer.
Different manufacturers use different methods of corn processing or buy different types of corn flour/masa for their product, the "mexican style" process changes the corns structure slightly.
Check out the labels and you'll see a wide range of carb counts for corn tortillas of the same size, the ones with a lower carb count are likely to have been made with "mexican" style masa as opposed to "corn flour" and I can eat 2 of the 6g carb corn tortillas in a meal and not see a spike whereas one of the 11g ones will spike me, YMMV of course so you'd have to test brands to see,
And if you want to see a glaring example of how different it can be check out a can of Juanita's brand hominy next to a can of regular hominy ... yowser!
As always YMMV!

Diagnosed: July 3 2008
A1C- 7/08= 10.6 :eek: 11/08 = 5.6 5/09= 5.3 11/09 = 5.6 :D
triglycerides - 7/08 = 192 :( 11/2008 = 84 11/09 = 66 :D
HDL - 7/08 = 46 :( 11/2008 = 74 11/09 = 79 :D
LDL - 7/08 = 106 :( 11/2008 = 80 11/09 = 65 :D

Low Carb Diet (15-50g/day)
Metformin ER 500mg 2x day
Neurontin 800mg 3x day
Meloxicam 15mg 1x day (arthritis)
Multivitamin, B12, fish oil

Mich

Mich

• Seniors
  • 2,242 posts
Hi JKane,

I am unable to do corn tortillas at all without a spike, and can barely do low carb (Mission) whole wheat ones.

Off the subject of tortillas, I just last weekend enjoyed a pancake breakfast with no spike for the first time in years!

I have been experimenting with Almond Flour which I got at Trader Joe's. It mades great pancakes, biscuits and quickbreads. Some people also make a passable & toastable bread from it.

It has been a great experience for me. Two almond flour biscuits with butter and sugar free jam fil me up for hours. They're very filling because of their protein content. The pancakes were SUCH a treat. I had lots of sugar-free syrup and canola oil margerine on them--the first time in many years.
Sublime!

The biscuits I made were 2g of carb each and the pancakes 1 1/2. Recipes are all over the internet.

Worth a try for those of you missing cornbread, pancakes and biscuits. I'm reserving my opinion on the sliced bread until I try some more recipes.

Mich

jkane13

jkane13

• Members
  • 386 posts
I went to Trader Joe's last weekend looking for Almond flour. Didn't find "flour". They had ground almonds. I got that. It made cookies, but they were too crumbly and stayed extra soft. I think actual dried flour would be better. Maybe they were just out of it, or are you talking about ground almonds in a plastic sealed bag, not in a paper bag like other flour?
-Jeff

Mich

Mich

• Seniors
  • 2,242 posts
It's a sealed heavy plastic bag. 16 oz.
Says "Great for baking and breading on front label.

It's speckly-looking, ground finely. The consistancy of baked good using it is coarser, like cornbread or muffins. Moist.

Here's the pancake recipe:

1 c almond flour/meal
1/4 c water
2 T oil
1 tsp sweetener ( I used baking Splenda)
2 eggs
1 scant tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 T flax seeds.

We made them about 4" across.

I haven't tried cookies. Love the flourless Splenda peanut butter cookies. Crumbly though.

Mich

jkane13

jkane13

• Members
  • 386 posts
That sounds like the same stuff. Maybe I should try something else made from it.
-Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users