Chromium

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

CountYourselfIn

CountYourselfIn

• 500 plus
  • 481 posts
Has anyone had any experience with taking a chromium supplement?

I've been taking one (200 mcg once daily) for about 4 weeks. I believe it's been the source of some recent, almost daily hypo's... So I've had to progressively dial back on the insulin (down from 60 units of Humulin to 35 -- 40 to 25 Humalog) I've been taking.

The only thing that's changed in my diet is the chromium.

I've found some information online about how it can potentate insulin in people w/ type 2 or insulin resistance.

Does anybody have any personal experience?

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,914 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I take a chromium supplement every day along with my multivitamin. I've not went off it recently to see if it makes a difference, but when I was first diagnosed and started it, I could tell it helped lower my blood sugars.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

genie86333

genie86333

• 500 plus
  • 2,191 posts
I saw this thread yesterday & decided to try it out...I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but I took my first 400 mcg chromium supplement at 4:30 or so...and about 1/2 an hour later, my blood sugar was 106 - much lower (at least 30 points lower) than it usually is at that time of day. Then it was fairly low after dinner as well...14 grams carbs - 133. However, it was a little high after an evening snack...around 15 g of carbs - 147.

I'll be interested in seeing if this is a trend that continues or if it does help.

ncpd25

ncpd25

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
My Mom has been a nutritionist for about 40 years. She counseled a Type 2 diabetic who came into her store and he advised her he was having a difficult time stabalizing his blood sugars. She told him to take the (GTF) Chromium. At the time, he was taking insulin. She told him, he needed to monitor himself closely and consult with his Doctor with any changes in his blood sugars. He went back to my Mom's store (I'm uncertain how long after his initial visit) and advised her, he was taken off of his insulin. I was told, he maintained a strict diet but, the chromium made a huge difference in managing his diabetes.
I'm a Type 1. The chromium helps me but, I'll stay on insulin.

jakin

jakin

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I tried it for quite a while and saw no difference in my numbers. Also, my diabetes educator said that there was no evidence that it helped.

enigmalady777

enigmalady777

• 500 plus
  • 504 posts
I took chromium for several months but I saw absolutely no improvement in my blood sugar levels so I stopped.

Insulin has been the ONLY thing that has brought my blood sugar under control.
Lantus, Novolog
Metformin 850 x 3
Lower carb lifestyle

A1C:
11/3/07: 7.5
2/23/08: 7.4
8/30/08: 8.1 :eek:
1/29/09: 5.7
5/21/09: 5.7
9/28/09: 5.8
12/27/09: 5.3
03/15/10: 6.0
08/06/10: 6.1
12/02/10: 6.3

Triglycerides:
11/3/07: 321
2/23/08: 328
8/30/08: 330
1/29/09: 166
5/29/09: 230
9/28/09: 201
03/15/10: 203
08/06/10: 200
12/02/10: 207

CountYourselfIn

CountYourselfIn

• 500 plus
  • 481 posts

I saw this thread yesterday & decided to try it out...I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but I took my first 400 mcg chromium supplement at 4:30 or so...and about 1/2 an hour later, my blood sugar was 106 - much lower (at least 30 points lower) than it usually is at that time of day. Then it was fairly low after dinner as well...14 grams carbs - 133. However, it was a little high after an evening snack...around 15 g of carbs - 147.

I'll be interested in seeing if this is a trend that continues or if it does help.

Pls keep us posted. I'm also really interested to see how it works!

If you google "chromium diabetes" you'll find various articles explaining how it's been found to reduce insulin resistance (which leads to D2), and more info on dosing.

I saw one article where they gave patients 800mcg daily, (2x 400), and other documents that say that 200mcg once daily is safe. Others that say there's no real risk of toxicity and there's no limit.

I'd say go w/ what the bottle says... but I was doing 800mcg for the first week. Now just 200. Yeah, I noticed a huge dramatic difference, but I started on a higher dose. And since switching to a lower dose, things haven't rebounded... I'm still taking far less insulin.

My Mom has been a nutritionist for about 40 years. She counseled a Type 2 diabetic who came into her store and he advised her he was having a difficult time stabalizing his blood sugars. She told him to take the (GTF) Chromium. At the time, he was taking insulin. She told him, he needed to monitor himself closely and consult with his Doctor with any changes in his blood sugars. He went back to my Mom's store (I'm uncertain how long after his initial visit) and advised her, he was taken off of his insulin. I was told, he maintained a strict diet but, the chromium made a huge difference in managing his diabetes.
I'm a Type 1. The chromium helps me but, I'll stay on insulin.

That's so awesome. And that's what I'm aiming for.

I take a chromium supplement every day along with my multivitamin. I've not went off it recently to see if it makes a difference, but when I was first diagnosed and started it, I could tell it helped lower my blood sugars.

Did you notice that your sugars creeped back up after a while, or stayed down?

I tried it for quite a while and saw no difference in my numbers. Also, my diabetes educator said that there was no evidence that it helped.

You should google it. There seems to be a lot more research about it than your diabetes educator is aware of.

dgrilli

dgrilli

• 500 plus
  • 773 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
I use Innate Response Formulas "GTF Chromium" from 100% whole food not synthetic.

Over the years this one was the only one that ever helped me.

I still kept pumping insulin but my spikes and post prandial numbers were absolutely helped.

But I never received any response from just any type of Chromium.

GTF

Medtronic Revel 723NAL 05-07-2014

Animas One Touch Ping 12-03-2008
Animas 1250 Pump 7-24-2006
Animas 2020 Pump 9-04-2007
Medtronic Guardian REAL-Time 11-13-2007

Matt03

Matt03

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Has anyone had any experience with taking a chromium supplement?

I have not had any personal experience with chromium but I have heard of the potential benefits of vanadium as well. Have you ever tried that? I would like to. Garlic (raw), on the other hand, is an excellent immune builder and apparently increases insulin receptivity. Since eating raw cloves of garlic, I never get sick. I highly recommend garlic to diabetics.

genie86333

genie86333

• 500 plus
  • 2,191 posts
I've never heard of vanadium...garlic, on the other hand, I use all the time (not raw however.) I did notice that I got colds very easily before I was diagnosed with diabetes. Now that my blood sugar is more normal, I haven't had a cold once! (Now if I could just rid myself of allergies.)

duck

duck

• 500 plus
  • 6,671 posts
This is an oft-asked question around here, and I have posted my experiences (both personal and participating in a study) before, and to me it is worthless. Probably doesn't hurt anything as long as you don't overdue it, and at best it has a positive placebo affect.

The only caveat to what I say though is that if you are deficient in chromium, obviously adding it to your regimen will make a difference (as with any nutrient).
Look what you've done to this rock-n-roll clown!

Matt03

Matt03

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Now that my blood sugar is more normal, I haven't had a cold once! (Now if I could just rid myself of allergies.)

You should try Apple Cider Vinegar. Supposedly helps with allergies. YOu would have to check how to take it (dilluted or straight). I would not recommend taking it straight. And be sure not to take it with other minerals or foods as they can minimize its affect. That is usually the problem with taking minerals and vitamins. THe reason why one may not work (chromium for example) is because other minerals and vitamins it is taken with act as a blockade. It is very tricky. Moreover, some minerals and vitamins can not be absorbed in the body when taken in the pill form. The best absorption occurs from eating foods high in the mineral or vitamin. Garlic, for example, has to be raw (not cooked, not in the pill form) for it to have an affect. Many do not realize this.

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
How do you eat your garlic Matt? As in ,whole, crushed, diced... ?
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

Matt03

Matt03

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just take a clove or two of garlic and cut it into thin slices and place them on a cracker (or something). I usually do it before bed as the breath stinks afterwards. The next morning the breath is fine though.

dlife

dlife

• 500 plus
  • 164 posts
Yes, Garlic is very very good for health. It's used as a treatment to the new mothers for recovery after the delivery too. I should soon start taking both garlic and chromium. Anybody has reviews about 'Garlique' pill?

genie86333

genie86333

• 500 plus
  • 2,191 posts
Ok, so it's 10 days since I started the chromium & my numbers are better. Now, I did start cutting back on my carbs at the same time, but these #s are better than my #s were 6 months ago when I was even lower-carbing.

My fasting #s the last two days were 98 (an all time low fasting!) and 107. They had been running 140-160. (130-140 6 months ago) Now, I did have a larger-than-usual amount of carbs the night before and went to bed at about 190, I'll stay low-carb tonight & I'll see what it is tomorrow a.m. Possibly the higher bs at night cut out the dawn phenomenon, and it's not the chromium, but time will tell.

dlife

dlife

• 500 plus
  • 164 posts
so, what's the update genie?

genie86333

genie86333

• 500 plus
  • 2,191 posts
Well, I went to bed at 157 & woke up at 125, which is still lower than the 130-140 6 months ago & much lower than the 160's I've been seeing lately, so I think the chromium is helping.

Waking up at 125 is a number I can live with, even if I did like that 98 a couple days ago!

dlife

dlife

• 500 plus
  • 164 posts
I too started taking chromium.Will have to see a couple of days to say if it's working or not. 125 is a good number.

CountYourselfIn

CountYourselfIn

• 500 plus
  • 481 posts

I have not had any personal experience with chromium but I have heard of the potential benefits of vanadium as well. Have you ever tried that? I would like to. Garlic (raw), on the other hand, is an excellent immune builder and apparently increases insulin receptivity. Since eating raw cloves of garlic, I never get sick. I highly recommend garlic to diabetics.

I've never heard of Vanadium before, but I'll google it and probably repost if I remember :P

I take an odourless garlic supplement, and eat the stuff all the time anyway. The supplement is the same as 6-7 cloves a day.

If you really want to boost you overall health, and aren't taking any BP meds, get some reishi. It's a japanese mushroom. Usually comes ground up in a capsule.

Amazing stuff. It's like ginseng in that it's an overall health booster without negative side effects. For me, when I take it...

Never get allergies, never get sick, breathe better, better circulation, and it actually inhibits the digestion of cholesterol in food, which is kinda gross when you eat a fatty meal and the fat comes out undigested...

It's also proven to lower BP (can screw with any bP meds you're on... don't mix), prevent plaque build up in arteries, and some say it even cures cancer.

Really amazing stuff. Google it. Then go get some.

RE chromium... my numbers have been getting better and better, no matter what I eat. I keep having to lower my insulin. My endo is gonna ****. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users