Non-Diabetic Blood Sugar Response

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

shel

shel

• 500 plus
  • 181 posts
Do non-diabetics have spikes in their blood sugar levels after eating? About a year ago I tested a friend about an hour after he ate a big, carbohydrate loaded meal (an entire pizza and a couple of beers!) and his BS was 85. Mine, after eating less and much lower on the carb chain, was 154, after the same amount of time.
Kind regards,
Shel

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
Short answer, yes they do seem to commonly "spike" or go up for certain foods, certainly carbs. Long answer as to what to expect and what is really "normal", it all depends. If you go to this thread and look halfway down there is the results of a study of "normal" BG profiles after a meal. Be aware this study may have been quite limited in the foods etc, in other words, it's just an indication of how non-diabetic's BG profile CAN look after a (???) meal.

http://www.diabetesf...after-meal.html

The conversation is more around normal vs injecting insulin and is a bit convoluted and unclear... but may be worth browsing through for you.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

PERKDOUG

PERKDOUG

• 500 plus
  • 359 posts

Do non-diabetics have spikes in their blood sugar levels after eating?

yes!

For normals after a carby meal:

One research trial showed an average BS spike to about 127. The variation was large with the 2 standard deviations from the average being 162 or so on the high side and 95 or so on the low side. The peak occurs at about 45 minutes after the meal and the average after 2 hours is less than 100.

MODY-RN

MODY-RN

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
His results show a normally functioning pancreas. It does its job and returns the blood sugar back to normal... lucky guy!

soso

soso

• 500 plus
  • 1,599 posts
Another thing to bear in mind is that if a person eats a whole pizza and a couple of beers, their blood sugar might not peak t the usual 1-2 hr mark..
Case in point...my DH and I will eat a takeout meal—usually indian— he eats loads of it plus a bunch of the bread.. he tests at 90 mins and is 4.9 he tests at 3 hrs he is 8.4 he tests at 4 hrs he is 6.9..... Big meals are usually delayed in leaving the stomach due to high fat and pure volume....he would be happily yukking it up if he didn't test later as well....

Highest his goes is about 9.1, but he is diagnosed as T2, which he normally controls very well with diet and exercise..his A1c is 4.7 —but these episodes do go to show that diabetes is always waiting in the wings...
SoSo

Dx Sept 2004
A1c 5.5
MDI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users