- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

jmracett

jmracett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Does any one have any info on the advantages & disadvantages of Boost vs Glucerna Diabetic Drink?

Evermont

Evermont

• 500 plus
  • 3,368 posts
I drink water and get my carbs from things like a fresh garden salad.

I'm so confident that no such product is worthwhile that I haven't bothered to look into any of them at all, never tried them, don't want to.

So I guess I'm responding just in case you or any other readers are open to the idea that these things are pointless. They just make money for some company and do us no good whatsoever. They're pricey, they are marketed with words like "convenient" and "great tasting", they come from factories.

I could be wrong, but I would be very surprised to discover that I am.

sable_032592

sable_032592

• 500 plus
  • 525 posts
i tried boost once, i don't like the taste, but the glucerna field berry is delicious! it's kind of expensive but since i have gastroparesis, eating is kinda hard for me, so getting my carbs from glucerna is good, even my dietician likes it, she's the one who turned me onto it... but as far as the pros and cons of either, i don't know, glucerna has no sugar, so that's a plus, but i think boost created a diabetic drink but i haven't tasted it yet...
sable,
type 1 diabetes since march 25th, 1992

Posted Image
www.spca.com

ShottleBop

ShottleBop

• 500 plus
  • 6,549 posts
Depends on whether you want carbs or not. I drink Premier Nutrition protein shakes (5 grams of carbs, 30 grams of protein) for breakfast most mornings. Glucerna's shakes appear to have 4 to 6 times as many carbs, and Boost's a little more than Glucerna's.
Functionally, a Type 2 (missed the label by th-a-a-a-a-t much)
Dx prediabetic 02/08 (FBG 127 and 123), A1c 6.5
So far, controlled without meds.

sable_032592

sable_032592

• 500 plus
  • 525 posts
Glucerna's Meal Replacement Shakes: Ready To Drink Shakes, Average All Flavors has 200 calories, 7.0g of fat and 27.0g of carbs in each can (8 fl.oz)

Boost's Nutritional Drinks: Glucose Control, All Flavors has 190 calories, 7.0g of fat and 16.0g of carbs in each bottle (8 fl.oz)

i've had the regular boost and i don't like it, but the field berry glucerna is so yummy!
sable,

Posted Image
www.spca.com

EeyoreButterfly

EeyoreButterfly

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
I am in no way a morning person so I have started using meal replacements for breakfast. I've not tried Boost. I do like Glucerna, but it is a bit much in terms of cost.

I have found that I enjoy SlimFast Optima. It does not spike me up, it tastes good, and it really tides me over til lunch. I do have an occasional Glucerna, but SlimFast is friendlier to my wallet.
Posted Image
Jessi 26
Type 2? BS Range (39-330)
Diet and Exercise

One Touch Ultra Mini Purple named Rosalie
A1C: 5.7

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,813 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I didn't care for the taste of either. I do like the AdvantEDGE Carb Control shakes (availabe at Walmart and grocery stores). They don't require any refrigeration and are a good portable snack or breakfast.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

shutterbug

shutterbug

• 500 plus
  • 778 posts
All I know is that they are pretty darn expensive. :)
I drink water. I also have Hood's calorie count down milk but can't seem to get it in my local groceries anymore :(
Posted Image

Diagnosed - 02/28/08

A1C - (8/10/2009= 5.7; 03/02/09 = 5.6 ; 12/29/08 = 5.8 ; 09/17/08 = 5.5 ; 05/27/08 = 5.7 ; 04/03/08 = 7.7 ; 02/29/08 = 10.1)

sable_032592

sable_032592

• 500 plus
  • 525 posts
glucerna is rather expensive, but i get a $6 coupon from the makers of it... it doesn't make it cheap but i like that i can take it anywhere, the can isn't too big and it doesn't have to be refrigerated...
sable,

Posted Image
www.spca.com

Tulsaboyw

Tulsaboyw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I drink water and get my carbs from things like a fresh garden salad.

I'm so confident that no such product is worthwhile that I haven't bothered to look into any of them at all, never tried them, don't want to.

So I guess I'm responding just in case you or any other readers are open to the idea that these things are pointless. They just make money for some company and do us no good whatsoever. They're pricey, they are marketed with words like "convenient" and "great tasting", they come from factories.

I could be wrong, but I would be very surprised to discover that I am.

U shouldnt be surprised..
There is a purpose for this sort of product.
Reality is my mom would be dead if not for this and similar high calorie drinks per a recent stay in the hospital.

It helps but the intent is shotterm. - to me its stupid to do this longterm.

Agreed that diet (how & what you eat) is key.

In my wifes case, when she added boost glucose control, she actually came down to my numbers.

We both do the same amt of exercise and do pretty much eat the same (except I drink more water when I am working) and about the same when not.

It does help and the tests prove it.

Tulsaboyw

Tulsaboyw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

glucerna is rather expensive, but i get a $6 coupon from the makers of it... it doesn't make it cheap but i like that i can take it anywhere, the can isn't too big and it doesn't have to be refrigerated...

Locally, Boost glucose control is often available 2 6packs for $13.48, while Glucera? is often available with a $3 coupon brining it to similar pricing.

For me... the prices are close enough that we bought some recently just to try it (Glucerna)...

Boost seems to be better choice, but not as tasty, so far.

DCaplinger

DCaplinger

• 500 plus
  • 847 posts
They are both far too pricy for me. I won't buy them. I can do the same thing with whey protein, splenda and natural berries (the only carbs come from the berries).

You'd be surprised what you can make that will make a good breakfast!

Regards,

D

Posted Image

Darian A. Caplinger, EMT
Medically Retired Deputy Sheriff
---
Dx Info: Misdx'd T2 on 12/20/2007; Dx'd T1 on 01/28/2008
Tx Plan:
Metformin 1000mg 2x daily (08/2011).
Pumps Novolog via an Animus Ping (Baloo IV) or Paradigm Revel 723 w/ CGMS (Baloo III) (07/2009).
Symlin 120mcg subq 3x/day (05/2010).
My Facebook

---
And now, Shakespeare by DCaplinger:
"Hath not a Diabetic eyes? Hath not a Diabetic feelings? Prick us, do we not test?"

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts

They are both far too pricy for me. I won't buy them. I can do the same thing with whey protein, splenda and natural berries (the only carbs come from the berries).

You'd be surprised what you can make that will make a good breakfast!

Regards,

D

Yeah I am trying the whey protein with splenda-soymilk-coffee, this morning. Tried it the other afternoon and it spiked my BG. Couldn't believe it, only like 5 g carb but it spiked 40 pts ... so trying again since I tend not to spike this time of day so much.
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

jwags

jwags

• 500 plus
  • 6,834 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
Costco has it by the case but I thought it had too many carbs and artificial ingredients. I've tried the bars but there again they have a lot of carbs for a diabetic product. I try to keep my carbs to below 75 a day. I've started to make my own protein drink in the morning. It's much more nutritious. I start with 1 cup of frozen berries ( raspberries , blackberries,blueberries or strawberries) I then add 1 cup of lite soy milk and 1 scoop of whey protein. Sometimes I add extra fiber powder or flaxseed. I blend it in a Magic Bullet. It's very filling. You can make smoothies with vegetables too. I like to mix spinach, celery, red peppers and strawberries together. It's a good way to get all those veggie servings in a day.

DCaplinger

DCaplinger

• 500 plus
  • 847 posts

Yeah I am trying the whey protein with splenda-soymilk-coffee, this morning. Tried it the other afternoon and it spiked my BG.

You've got a lot of things going on there, the most important being the coffee. Caffeine is a stimulant, which may account for a liver dump.

I would suggest adding some type of fiber to the mix to help slow down the absorbtion of the carbs. Fiber will also act as a bulking agent, so you should feel more satiated after drinking a shake.

Regards,

D

Posted Image

Darian A. Caplinger, EMT
Medically Retired Deputy Sheriff
---
Dx Info: Misdx'd T2 on 12/20/2007; Dx'd T1 on 01/28/2008
Tx Plan:
Metformin 1000mg 2x daily (08/2011).
Pumps Novolog via an Animus Ping (Baloo IV) or Paradigm Revel 723 w/ CGMS (Baloo III) (07/2009).
Symlin 120mcg subq 3x/day (05/2010).
My Facebook

---
And now, Shakespeare by DCaplinger:
"Hath not a Diabetic eyes? Hath not a Diabetic feelings? Prick us, do we not test?"

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts

You've got a lot of things going on there, the most important being the coffee. Caffeine is a stimulant, which may account for a liver dump.

I would suggest adding some type of fiber to the mix to help slow down the absorbtion of the carbs. Fiber will also act as a bulking agent, so you should feel more satiated after drinking a shake.

Regards,

D

Yeah, that IS a good idea, especially since when I tried the shake the past two mornings, I did fine, but got hungry failry soon after -- I do have some benefiber (will check for usable carbs first ... ). Otherwise I am on a fairly HIGH fiber diet right now though ... so need to go slow on that.
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

aokusman

aokusman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I recently tried glucerna an I am loving the taste. It costs $9 at walmart, so its not cheap. I was able to buy a bunch of $3 off any glucerna product coupons off ebay. I end up paying $2 for the 4pk cans and about $1 for the bars. Makes it more affordable.
A1c 7.3 August 2009
A1c 5.7 October 2009

Shel_B

Shel_B

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Depends on whether you want carbs or not. I drink Premier Nutrition protein shakes (5 grams of carbs, 30 grams of protein) for breakfast most mornings. Glucerna's shakes appear to have 4 to 6 times as many carbs, and Boost's a little more than Glucerna's.

The 8-oz Glucerna shake I checked has 27 grams of carbs - substantially more than many other foods that are more natural and contain better ingredients - foods such as vegetables, some fruits, yogurt, etc.

Here's the ingredient list for a Glucerna shake. Why anyone would want to ingest this stuff is beyond my comprehension.

WATER, CORN MALTODEXTRIN, SODIUM AND CALCIUM CASEINATES, SUCROMALT, GLYCERINE, ENOVA OILâ„¢ (DIACYGLYCEROL OIL), SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, COCOA POWDER (PROCESS WITH ALKAL), FRUCTOSE, LESS THAN 1% OF: CANOLA OIL, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, PLANT STEROL ESTERS, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, HIGH OLEIC SAFFLOWER OIL, MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE, SODIUM CITRATE, SOY LECITHIN, POTASSIUM CITRATE, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, ASCORBIC ACID, CARRAGEENAN, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, FERROUS SULFATE, dI-ALPHA-TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, ZINC SULFATE, SUCRALOSE, NIACINAMIDE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, CHROMIUM PICOLINATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, CUPRIC SULFATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, THIAMINE CHLORIDE HYDROCHLORIDE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID, BIOTIN, SODIUM MOLYBDATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE, SODIUM SELENATE, PHYLLOQUINONE, VITAMIN D3, AND CYANOCOBALAMIN.

CONTAINS MILK AND SOY INGREDIENTS; GLUTEN- AND LACTOSE-FREE

Shel

ShottleBop

ShottleBop

• 500 plus
  • 6,549 posts
Well, a lot of those ingredients are vitamins and other supplements. I drink my low-carb shake in the morning because I generally don't tolerate a whole lotta food in the morning, and drinking breakfast is easier than eating it. I try to avoid the milk sugar in yogurt (I've never been big into dairy, generally--slightly lactose intolerant); I want more protein than most veggies provide; I don't tolerate fruit well in the morning; and I like getting the vitamins and other supplements as part of my breakfast.

On the weekends, I eat a more traditional breakfast.
Functionally, a Type 2 (missed the label by th-a-a-a-a-t much)
Dx prediabetic 02/08 (FBG 127 and 123), A1c 6.5
So far, controlled without meds.

Shel_B

Shel_B

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Well, a lot of those ingredients are vitamins and other supplements.

Real food is loaded with vitamins and other necessary ingredients. While you may find such "foods" worthwhile, many people don't. Processed food may contain lots of vitamins and "other supplements," but it will never be the equivalent of real food, especially that which is grown in good soil.

Kind regards,

Shel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users