- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

patricia42256

patricia42256

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

When I was diagnosed, diabetes was so far from my parent's minds, they were caught off guard when the diagnosis came in. It was just before my tenth birthday. I weighed about 40 lbs. and was complaining about stomach aches everyday at school. My mom thought I was trying to evade a bully! :o I felt sick at approximately the same time EVERY day. It wasn't unusual for me to drink lots of water as it was encouraged in our household. The water lead to the frequent urination. I don't really remember any other symptoms, as I was very young, but my mother says that hindsight was so much clearer.

My 13 year old daughter complains about stomach aches.That made me think.I was reading that a symptom of daibetes that I had nevber ehard before is dark paches in the folds of your skin.Like under your eyes or around your nesk. My daughetr's under arms look terrible and so does around her neck.She looks like she never bathes.I know that is not so.I have even tried to rub it off ,it does not.She will not wear sleeveless cothes because of it. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,584 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Patricia, those dark patches are "offically" called acanthosis nigracans....and are caused by insulin resistance. These can be in the neck folds, inner thighs, under arms...and do look like the skin is dirty or velvety. As the insulin resistance gets under better control (by either losing weight or taking metformin) these will improve.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• 500 plus
  • 658 posts
My son had this same affliction before he was dx'd at the age of 17. At first he was prescribed an antibiotic because the doc thought it was a skin fungus. Next he was dx'd and put on insulin. Cleared right up after that.
Please bare with me... I am struggling over here.

thisstinks

thisstinks

• 500 plus
  • 190 posts
Acanthosis nigricans - MayoClinic.com

Cormac_Doyle

Cormac_Doyle

• 500 plus
  • 1,365 posts
I have those patches under my arms, around my eyes and at the tops of my inner thighs.

It definitely is a symptom of high BG.

You may also notice small fleshy tags of skin in the same area ... DONT try to tweak or snip them off - they are liberally supplied with blood vessels !!!
HbA1c
2007/2008 - Sept 07: 10.9; Feb 08: 8.5; Sept 08: 7.3;
2009 - Feb: 7.5; Apr: 6.4; Aug: 6.1;
2010 - Jan: 7.0; Mar: 6.4; Jun: 6.1; Oct: 5.9;
2011 - Jan: 6.4; Apr: 6.5; Aug: 6.3; Nov: 6.2;
2012 - Mar: 6.7; May: 6.3; June: 6.2; Sep: 5.4; Dec: 6.0
2013 - Mar: 6.1; May: 6.5; July: 6.3; Nov: 6.1

Meds - Glucophage: 2000mg; Omega 3: 4000mg; Crestor: 20mg; Victoza: 1.8mg; Humulin: 150-250 iu ( originally 1800-2400 iu daily)

Started Pump: 10th April 2011 - Minimed Paradigm Veo

fgummett

fgummett

• 500 plus
  • 7,916 posts

You may also notice small fleshy tags of skin in the same area ... DONT try to tweak or snip them off - they are liberally supplied with blood vessels !!!

Ouch! :eek: Sounds like a personal experience here but I will not pry ;)

Actually I had noticed these skin tags in recent years (armpits mostly) and have only just learnt -- here on DF -- that they are associated with IR.

I think they may be "tied-off" with a tight thread (like sutures?) till they fall off themselves... I'll ask my Doctor next time.

Any other "external" signs out there... how about flattened or ridged fingernails?

Amelie

Amelie

• 500 plus
  • 123 posts
I've had dark patches under my arms and at the top of my inner thighs since puberty (related to my PCOS, I believe), but didn't become diabetic until recently. I would say it's an early warning sign of insulin resistance, but not *always* an indication of full-blown diabetes.

Your daughter wouldn't happen to have problems with her menstrual cycles, would she? Just wondering, based on my own experience, if she might have PCOS. I don't mean to alarm you though.

I have Type II Diabetes, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, and Hypothyroidism.

My diabetes was diagnosed on July 18, 2008.

A1C:
July 2008: 9.0 :mad:
October 2008: 5.9 :)
January 2009: 5.6 :D

Diabetes Medication:
Metformin 500 MG Twice a day

I've gone from a size 22 to a size 14 since July '08.

BigcityRich

BigcityRich

• 500 plus
  • 198 posts
My doc told I was most likely a diabetic because of acanthosis nigracans/discoloration in the folds of my neck. I was in the office for something entirely different. She sent me to lab for tests and "bamm!" The big D.

I have also have had those little skin tags around my neck and under my arms. I think everyone gets those and they are not related to Diabetus. Doctors removed by freezing the skin tag with liquid nitrogen, they dry out and fall off in a week or so.
Richard

Type 2 since 2/07
Metformin ER 750mg 3x daily
Glipizide 5mg 2x daily

HbA1c
2/07 - 10.3%
6/07 - 6.0%
2/08 - 6.2%
7/08 - 6.0%
2/09 - 5.9%

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,584 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
My dermatologist said that skin tags occur where there is friction...that's why we get them in body folds. She often sends people for insulin levels when she notices the nigracans.

If you watch "The Biggest Loser," notice how many of them have it on their necks...even if they aren't yet diabetics. It's definitely something that people should be aware of in themselves and in their children.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users