- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

iStone

iStone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've noticed some posts in a few of the forums here that slightly relate to my post, but not enough to answer my question or help me in any way. Other people have mentioned how their Metformin smells fishy. Some have mentioned how it causes their urine to smell bad. Yet others have mentioned how it causes their breath to smell bad. Combine all of those, and you have my problem, but not completely.

Metformin makes me STINK! COMPLETELY! The odor coming from my breath, urine, feces, and out of my pores 24/7 is atrocious! It is getting so bad that I cannot even stand being around me! My wife doesn't like sleeping in the same room with me. By morning our bedroom smells terrible. The smell follows me (emits from me) everywhere I am, day and night.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes at the end of February 2008, just under a year ago. Since then I have been taking Metformin twice daily, once in the morning, and once before bed. The dosage is 500MG each time. The smell has worsened steadily since I first started taking the medication.

I was not sure what was causing the odor at first. Since the Metformin itself smells bad, I suspected it was the cause, but was not positive about that. A few weeks ago my suspicions were proven. We went for a week-long trip to the Washington coast. I forgot my Metformin at home. Lo and behold, I did not stink anymore! For an entire week, I smelled wonderful! The room that I slept in smelled as fresh every morning after my sleeping in it each night as it did when we first got to the resort! My breath was fresh. My bodily waste no longer had that rancid odor that had been following me for almost a year. THAT WAS THE BEST VACATION I EVER HAD! A VACATION FROM THE PUTRID SMELL THAT METFORMIN GIVES ME!

Needless to say, as soon as we got home, I went back on my medication, and am back to smelling like I live in the garbage dump in Nairobi. It is disgusting. I have been calling my doctor's office daily, trying to get them to change my medication to something just as effective and inexpensive, but without the smell. Each day, they tell me that they will call me later that day with a new prescription. So far, I am still waiting for that call, still smelling terrible!

Is there a medication for Type 2 Diabetes that is as inexpensive as Metformin ($4 at Walmart for a month's supply) that has no serious side-effects or terrible smells? I would LOVE to hear from someone who is taking something other than Metformin for Type 2 Diabetes. I and my entire family need some relief!

Oh, by the way, I have lost 50 pounds so far since discovering that I have diabetes. The weight loss part is easy, but this SMELL is driving me crazy! PLEASE HELP!

Amelie

Amelie

• 500 plus
  • 123 posts
Wow, I don't have any advice for you but I just wanted to say I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this. I can imagine how awful it must be. :(

I have Type II Diabetes, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, and Hypothyroidism.

My diabetes was diagnosed on July 18, 2008.

A1C:
July 2008: 9.0 :mad:
October 2008: 5.9 :)
January 2009: 5.6 :D

Diabetes Medication:
Metformin 500 MG Twice a day

I've gone from a size 22 to a size 14 since July '08.

Caravaggio

Caravaggio

• 500 plus
  • 2,544 posts
I'm taking metformin but haven't encountered smelly metformin tablets and as far as I know I don't smell (but I'll have to give my husband the third degree tonight :)).

Could it be the brand of metformin you are using?

iStone

iStone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
All I know is it is Metformin. If there are different brands, I am not aware of that. The prescription bottle says "Metformin", so I assume it is not generic. It is the same one I've been taking since I learned I have Type 2 Diabetes almost a year ago. I am SO done with this stupid disease! IT HAS RUINED MY LIFE! Now, thanks to the medication, I can't even stand the smell of myself! I'm isolated. IT SUCKS!

HuskerMychal

HuskerMychal

• 500 plus
  • 725 posts
I don't know if you use it already or not but maybe try the Metformin HCI (i think) time release. May not cure the smell but if it releases longer your body my absorb it more slowly and at least lessen it. I see my Endo tomorrow and I am friends with the PharmD at work, I will ask them about it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Humulin U-500 Pumping Pink Ping
Metformin 850mg 3x a day
Cpap 18 Cm H2o with Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask
Aspirin 162 mg a day
Zetia 10mg a day
Tricor 145mg a day
Benazepril 20mg a day
Dyazide 27.5-25mg a day
Metoprolol 50mg a day
Lyrica 50mg 2x day
Vicadin 325 x 5 2x a day
Fish Oil - Glucostimine - Vit D

Kanga

Kanga

• 500 plus
  • 369 posts
Oh you poor thing. I just gave my husband the 3rd degree on whether I smell or not and I don't *phew* I had already pestered him over the armpit thread so now he thinks I am paranoid about smells LoL

I feel so bad for you as this must be so embarrassing. Hope someone comes up with some advice or your dr changes your meds.
Be nicer than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Posted Image

mazea

mazea

• 500 plus
  • 659 posts
Trying not to find the title to your thread amusing. Not doing very well though.;)

In all seriousness I can relate as when I eat raw onions I start to smell like raw onions for a few days. The only thing I do is cook the onions a lot. Have you tried cooking your metamophin?
Borderline blood fasting test in 2006
HBA1c 15 in May 2008
HBA1c 5.6 in October 2008
HBA1c 4.8 in May 2009
HBA1c 5.4 in September 2009
HBAC1 7.9 in June 2010
Type 1.5 since May 2008

iStone

iStone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

L

I feel so bad for you as this must be so embarrassing.

It's not really embarrassing because I NEVER go anywhere! Why WOULD I? That WOULD be embarrassing! I just stay in the house & try to avoid my wife & kids. THIS SUCKS!

Real4

Real4

• 500 plus
  • 459 posts

All I know is it is Metformin. ...The prescription bottle says "Metformin", so I assume it is not generic.

Metformin IS the generic name. Good luck with your problem, Unfortunately, there's no other drug that meets all your criteria.

P.S. You think you could get a branded, on-patent drug for $4 a month? (Do you invest in real estate?)

davef

davef

• 500 plus
  • 8,079 posts
Metformin is the generic name. Could you try some different brands, I'm using Glucophage and get no noticable smell from the tablet itself or anything unusual from me (I ask my wife).

Just on the off chance, is there any possibility that there is a food you eat at home and did not eat when you were away?
Posted Image

By Endurance, we conquer - Shackleton Family Motto
Insulin resistance is futile - I will win - me

Metformin 3000mg daily, Enap 5mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus (currently 14u)
Diagnosed T2 on 26th Nov'07, with FBG of 21mmol/L (378mg/dL) and A1c of 11.6%.
Most recent A1c 20/11/13: 11.6% <= back where I started

patricia52

patricia52

• 500 plus
  • 2,506 posts
Much sympathy for you but I don't have any advice other than what the others have suggested. I did notice that when I changed pharmacies the metformin from the new pharmacy did not smell as fishy. I liked that. Talk with you doctor there has to be a solution.
Patricia

Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Lantus
Apidra
Diet & Exercise
Most recent A1C 5.6

vegasvic

vegasvic

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
When Glucophage first came out I would have to open a large container of it and the fish smell would almost knock me out, it was nasty.

As previously mentioned the brand name for metformin is Glucophage and now you can find it in several combinations with other meds for example: Glucovance, Actoplus Met. Many of which have went generic.

I just went out to opened and smell met 1000, met 850, met 750 xl, met 500, met xl 500. They all had a slight smell to them but none any worse than the other. There are of a few different manufacturers so its not just one in particular. A lot of medications have a smell.

I suppose you could try a different manufacturer but if the odor is caused by metformin I don't think it'll really matter because metformin will be in every tablet. At this time its the only one in its drug class still on the market.

Metformin is such a popular drug I'd be surprised to find a doctor who would be willing to drop it for a different medication, at least not with out an argument. Just remind the doc that its your life and you'd like to not offend the others in your life because of this medication. There are other routes that can be taken.

vic
47 y/o
type 2 since 2000
4/15/10 A1C=8.5
6/10/10 A1C=7.7
12/20/10 A1C=7.0
So no longer just oral meds!
Humulog 8U/Humulin N 24U AM&PM

robbytype2

robbytype2

• 500 plus
  • 240 posts
maybe your doc can give you something else i know met is the generic to glucophage , and met amplifies my gas with a small glass of diet soda i can make walls shake and with chili i can get a ticket to sleep else where ..do you have allergies ? not to compare you to my dog ( he is like a kid) he has food allergies and if he eats anything he is not supposed to he gets a odor on body and ears and breath, just something you may want to talk with doc about ..

iStone

iStone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Just on the off chance, is there any possibility that there is a food you eat at home and did not eat when you were away?

There was no diet change while I was away. I rarely eat at all. I have GI problems as well, & avoid eating as much as possible. Normally just toast & Glucerna shakes. That's my life.

My physician changed my medication today. I picked up a prescription of Glipizide 5mg at the pharmacy today. I only have to take one a day in the morning. No side-effects, according to the pharmacist. That's GOOD news! I'm tired of smelling bad.

HuskerMychal

HuskerMychal

• 500 plus
  • 725 posts
Istone,
If that doesnt work for you I may have a idea. I noticed you live in Longview, I did for a bit and my wifes family is from and still does live in Longview/Kelso. If it is not to far to drive you may want to try the Harold Schnitzer Diabetic Clinic at OHSU. They did wonders for me. Also the do have some studys going on were you could get paid to participate and get all meds plus testing stuff for free. If you need to know more about it send me a PM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Humulin U-500 Pumping Pink Ping
Metformin 850mg 3x a day
Cpap 18 Cm H2o with Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask
Aspirin 162 mg a day
Zetia 10mg a day
Tricor 145mg a day
Benazepril 20mg a day
Dyazide 27.5-25mg a day
Metoprolol 50mg a day
Lyrica 50mg 2x day
Vicadin 325 x 5 2x a day
Fish Oil - Glucostimine - Vit D

EdnBama

EdnBama

• 500 plus
  • 1,581 posts
I take metformin in a combination pill with avandia (avandamet). I have not noticed any smell from the pills or from myself. Nor have I received complaints from others.
Ed (in Alabama)

"Tell me did you sail across the sun? ..." -- Train in Drops of Jupiter

patricia52

patricia52

• 500 plus
  • 2,506 posts
Let us know if changing Meds helped. Hope it did work.
Patricia

Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Lantus
Apidra
Diet & Exercise
Most recent A1C 5.6

EdnBama

EdnBama

• 500 plus
  • 1,581 posts
Check out response #4 here.
Ed (in Alabama)

"Tell me did you sail across the sun? ..." -- Train in Drops of Jupiter

vegasvic

vegasvic

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
EdnBama: Nice! That person must have a curious nature.

I have to agree with the moderator, the smell of the tablets probably is a combination of active ingredient and a/an additive(s) since they all smell but not the same.

It’s interesting that #3 railed on how Wal-mart buys "cheap" medicine and Walgreens doesn't as well as all the "cheap" fillers out there. This is a fine case of if-you-don't-know-what-you're-talking-about-perhaps-you-shouldn't-talk. Does she truly believe that Wal-mart and Walgreens don't buy from the same manufacturers? Its not like there is an infinite amount of metformin manufacturers out there to choose from. They are both deep discounters who buy cheap and sell cheap so they make their money by the volume of customers they can get into their stores for the low medication prices.

Metformin is a wonderful product that just happens to have an odor and she wants to take it off the market! I wonder how she feels about children’s liquid vitamins with iron, talk about a nasty smell.

Sorry, I digress.

vic
47 y/o
type 2 since 2000
4/15/10 A1C=8.5
6/10/10 A1C=7.7
12/20/10 A1C=7.0
So no longer just oral meds!
Humulog 8U/Humulin N 24U AM&PM

PrettynPurple

PrettynPurple

• 500 plus
  • 636 posts
i get my met from target, i've never noticed a bad body smell.

the glucerna shakes has malitrol or whatever the sugar alcohol is called that is added to help make things sugar free and that could be contributing to it as well

i had some the other and that and the met had me running to the bathroom after lunch. it was bad and i didn't even eat much of the meal bar that had it in it, cause it was nasty tasting.

June 10 a1c 6.4%
Oct 09 A1c 6.2%
April 09 A1c 6.2%
Dec 08 A1c 6.2%
Sept 08 A1c 7.5%
June 08 A1c 8.5%

Diagnosed: June 08
Metformin 1000mg twice daily

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users