- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Overcomer

Overcomer

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Who can tell me how many carbs are in a hot dog? I came home tonight and my wife and I ate two Omaha Steak Company premium Hot Dogs. I ate mine on 2 slices of whole wheat bread that had 10 carbs each. I don't know how many carbs the hot dogs had...now I'm Worried.:(
Dx'd T2 6, 2006
One Touch Ultra
45U Levemir @ Bedtime
Exforge 5/320mg 1x day
Prandin w each meal
Carvedilol 25mg 2x day
Janumet 50/500mg 2x day
aspirin 81mg 1x day
Furosemide 40mg 1x day
A1C 12.9 12/01/08 :(
A1C 7.8 01/14/09 :)

A1C 6.2 03/06/09:thumbsup:

What happens to the dream deferred? Does it fester like a sore and then run? Or does it dry up like a raisin in the sun?
Or....does it explode!!!

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,160 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
Hot dogs by themselves are low in carbohydrates. However, they are high in sodium. One regular hot dog has approximately 13.3 grams of fat, 5.3 grams of saturated fat, 24 mg cholesterol, 1.8 grams of carbs, 513 mg. of sodium.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cyberus

cyberus

• 500 plus
  • 1,182 posts
You'd have to read the hot dog package label ... most are low carb but some have fillers that boost the carb count.
As always YMMV!

Diagnosed: July 3 2008
A1C- 7/08= 10.6 :eek: 11/08 = 5.6 5/09= 5.3 11/09 = 5.6 :D
triglycerides - 7/08 = 192 :( 11/2008 = 84 11/09 = 66 :D
HDL - 7/08 = 46 :( 11/2008 = 74 11/09 = 79 :D
LDL - 7/08 = 106 :( 11/2008 = 80 11/09 = 65 :D

Low Carb Diet (15-50g/day)
Metformin ER 500mg 2x day
Neurontin 800mg 3x day
Meloxicam 15mg 1x day (arthritis)
Multivitamin, B12, fish oil

BooBoo

BooBoo

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
4 carbs...check out page seven...

www dot omahasteaks dot com/gifs/NutritionAnalysis2007.pdf

Overcomer

Overcomer

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

4 carbs...check out page seven...

www dot omahasteaks dot com/gifs/NutritionAnalysis2007.pdf

I checked my bg level 2 hrs after hot dogs and it was 196. I promise I won't do that again. Thanks for the domain for Omaha Steaks. One of the smartest moves I have made is the forum...Thanks Guys!!!:o
Dx'd T2 6, 2006
One Touch Ultra
45U Levemir @ Bedtime
Exforge 5/320mg 1x day
Prandin w each meal
Carvedilol 25mg 2x day
Janumet 50/500mg 2x day
aspirin 81mg 1x day
Furosemide 40mg 1x day
A1C 12.9 12/01/08 :(
A1C 7.8 01/14/09 :)

A1C 6.2 03/06/09:thumbsup:

What happens to the dream deferred? Does it fester like a sore and then run? Or does it dry up like a raisin in the sun?
Or....does it explode!!!

matingara

matingara

• 500 plus
  • 2,175 posts
Hot dogs and sausages vary WILDLY!!! you need to read the labels on these more than any other meat product.

i have seen hot dogs with 10g carbs per dog and other things (like a Kransky) with 0g of carbs!

:)

-- Joel.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
do not click here...

NUMBERS
-----------------
May 2010 : A1C (home) 5.5%: Feb 2010: A1C (home): 5.2% Oct 2009: A1C: 5.7%;
Triglycerides: 53 (0.6); HDL chol: 50 (1.2); LDL chol: 19.5 (0.5); total cholesterol 87.5
Lantus before bed - 30u; Novorapid for meals (averaging 20-30u per day); Lowish carb diet

ShottleBop

ShottleBop

• 500 plus
  • 6,581 posts
Two slices of bread at 10 grams of carbs each could have a lot to do with that rise in blood glucose, as well. How many of those carbs were fiber?
Functionally, a Type 2 (missed the label by th-a-a-a-a-t much)
Dx prediabetic 02/08 (FBG 127 and 123), A1c 6.5
So far, controlled without meds.

cyberus

cyberus

• 500 plus
  • 1,182 posts

Hot dogs and sausages vary WILDLY!!! you need to read the labels on these more than any other meat product.

i have seen hot dogs with 10g carbs per dog and other things (like a Kransky) with 0g of carbs!

:)

-- Joel.

10g per ... sounds like the "kiddie" hot dogs .. loaded with HFCS no doubt.
As always YMMV!

Diagnosed: July 3 2008
A1C- 7/08= 10.6 :eek: 11/08 = 5.6 5/09= 5.3 11/09 = 5.6 :D
triglycerides - 7/08 = 192 :( 11/2008 = 84 11/09 = 66 :D
HDL - 7/08 = 46 :( 11/2008 = 74 11/09 = 79 :D
LDL - 7/08 = 106 :( 11/2008 = 80 11/09 = 65 :D

Low Carb Diet (15-50g/day)
Metformin ER 500mg 2x day
Neurontin 800mg 3x day
Meloxicam 15mg 1x day (arthritis)
Multivitamin, B12, fish oil

Zolar1

Zolar1

• 500 plus
  • 104 posts
Thought I would join for some support from others with the same problem.

I have been doing research on diabetes.

I discovered that YAMS & Sweet Potatoes are among the best foods we can eat.

I talked to others who are insulin dependent and they told me that Cinnamon helps keeps things more even.

I also read that Chromium, potassium, magnesium, vanadium, caffeine, and policosanol are also beneficial. And to use them in addition to fish/fish oil.

Does anyone know much about this stuff?

I weigh 175 lbs, am 5' 5-1/2 " tall and have a BMI 0f 29, and am 49 years old.

One unrelated doctor told me that I need to lose 5 more pounds, but I think it should be more like 40 pounds.
Can anyone advise me on the best course of action?

I wonder if I stopped taking GEODON that my diabetic condition would disappear? I was taking risperdal for a few months earlier this year, then stopped when I started having severe headaches (which I still have for the past 6 months). Anyone know anything about all this? :confused:

Again, I am new here and don't know where to post or what to do yet.
Please be patient if I am doing this all wrong.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

PS this was all within the past couple of weeks or so:

a1c was 6.8
2 hour GTT was 294
fasting BS was 127
triglycerides were 182
Cholesterol & triglycerides are a little high, but not really high.

Zolar1

Zolar1

• 500 plus
  • 104 posts
PS I also read that FAT was the culprit, not sugar.

So, pizza is out of the diet for a while :-(

Hot dogs seem OK, except for the bun.

ShottleBop

ShottleBop

• 500 plus
  • 6,581 posts
Get yourself a copy of Gretchen Becker's introduction to Type 2 diabetes: The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes.

Check out the website, "Blood Sugar 101" (Google will bring it right up). Read "How to Get Your Blood Sugars Under Control."

Seriously consider investing in Dr. Richard Bernstein's The Diabetes Solution. He is a Type 1 who has lived with diabetes for decades, and has treated thousands of patients.

If you don't have a blood glucose meter, ask your doctor to prescribe one for you--or pick up a cheap one at Walmart (their store-brand is the "ReliOn," and test strips are much less expensive than those for other meters--important, unless your insurance covers the bulk of the cost of strips for one of the more expensive brands). Use it, together with the tips from "How to Get Your Blood Sugars Under Control," to see how your body reacts to different foods.

Dietary fat is not the culprit.
Functionally, a Type 2 (missed the label by th-a-a-a-a-t much)
Dx prediabetic 02/08 (FBG 127 and 123), A1c 6.5
So far, controlled without meds.

skinny 'betic

skinny 'betic

• 500 plus
  • 161 posts
I can't live without my Jennie-O turkey dogs. Their nutrition info beats all other hot dogs, pork, beef or otherwise.
Diagnosed:July'09, Initial A1C:15.7, Latest A1C:5.9, Insulin:Lantus 23u + Humulin R 1u per 10g carbs, Meds:Metformin 1000mg

Bountyman

Bountyman

Señor Member

• 500 plus
  • 4,777 posts
  • Location95965
  • I am a:Type 2
Hot dogs have few carbohydrates in them. The buns I use, Ball Park buns, have a total carbohydrate count of 23 gms. But I've noticed something about eating hot dogs on a bun, they spike me higher than any meal that I eat. My usual meals, even those that contain more sugar and carbohydrates than a hot dog raise my blood sugar level from 110 before a meal to about 125-130 an hour later. Today I had a hot dog, plus a couple spoon fulls of macaroni salad, and my blood sugar was at 151 an hour later.

Zolar1

Zolar1

• 500 plus
  • 104 posts
I have medicare and a private insurance.

I really want the one you test on your arm, not the fingers.
I still want to use my hands. Chemicals and cleaners might not feel too good on open wounds (finger pricks). I do experiment (hobby) with Hydroxy and don't want to be poisoned by hexavalent chromium or strong alkalais.

Any thoughts? Advantages/disadvantages?

Do I need one that checks for ketones as well?

I believe it's the fat in the hot dogs causing the spike, or perhaps it's boosted by the carbs from the bread? A one-two punch perhaps?

No expert here.

Any thoughts on supplements?
Cinnamon? Chromium? etc?
What benefits can I expect by using them?

Ps I read elsewhere that fat (especially chicken) is terribly bad for diabetes.
04/10 a1c was 5.8
01/05 a1c was 5.7
10/09 a1c was 6.8
11/09 fasting BS was 127
11/09 2 hour GTT was 294

Diagnosed with Type II Diabetes on 11/24/2009

No insulin or diabetic meds, diet and exercise for now.

Cholesterol:
Total: 171
LDL: 104
HDL: 53
Triglycerides: 70

Blood pressure: 80/48
Weight as of 4/10: 142 pounds

Note: Dr let me eat just ONE cinnamon roll to celebrate my good numbers! HOORAY![SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Zolar1

Zolar1

• 500 plus
  • 104 posts
Another question please:

Are turkey dogs OK to eat?

What about thanksgiving turkey? White or dark?
Cranberries? Yams?
Creamed corn?

About those books: If they aren't available locally in a store, I can't get them (no credit card).
04/10 a1c was 5.8
01/05 a1c was 5.7
10/09 a1c was 6.8
11/09 fasting BS was 127
11/09 2 hour GTT was 294

Cholesterol:

Note: Dr let me eat just ONE cinnamon roll to celebrate my good numbers! HOORAY![SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Granny Shanny

Granny Shanny

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,380 posts
Zolar, there's a lot to learn about the management of diabetes, and you've come to the right place to learn it. These are the people who have lived with the disorder themselves instead of learning it from a book. These are the people who have tested and proven (or disproven) many ideas regarding what works, and these are the people who are not trying to sell you something. If you want the truth about diabetes, listen to the people here at Diabetes Forums.

Whatever medicines you're taking for other ailments should not be changed without talking to your doctor. There are many meds and supplements that can help us manage our diabetes, but there is presently no cure for the disorder, no matter how big & loud the advertisements are.

Yes, yams & sweet potatoes are better for us than regular white potatoes, but they're far from being the "best" thing we can eat. And we certainly can no longer have our yams or sweet potatoes swimming in sugary syrup.

Whatever source is telling you that fat is the culprit instead of sugar, would also sell you the Brooklyn Bridge, if you made them an offer. Fat is a diabetic's friend, in that it slows the absorption of the carbs in our meals. It is not the fat in the hot dogs that causes blood glucose to spike, it IS the bun. There is no one-two punch. It's foods that are made with white flour and sugar are going to spike us, regardless. It isn't fat (especially chicken) that's terribly bad. Chicken is a cornerstone of diabetic menus. Protein and fats do not affect our blood glucose. Only carbohydrates drive our numbers higher.

The best thing you can do to get a headstart on controlling your diabetic condition, is to start restricting your consumption of "white" foods. Nothing with white flour or sugar, no potatoes, no rice, no bread, no pasta. You can eat all the Thanksgiving turkey you can swallow - light meat and dark meat are both good for you.

ShottleBop has given extremely good advice

Get yourself a copy of Gretchen Becker's introduction to Type 2 diabetes: The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes.

Check out the website, "Blood Sugar 101" (Google will bring it right up). Read "How to Get Your Blood Sugars Under Control."

Seriously consider investing in Dr. Richard Bernstein's The Diabetes Solution. He is a Type 1 who has lived with diabetes for decades, and has treated thousands of patients.

In a metropolitan area as large as Cincinnati, you will certainly find these books available. Call your local bookstores - any large chain booksellers will have them, or can certainly GET them for you.

Some of what you learn about this is not going to make you happy, but if you are serious about controlling your diabetes and living to be old, listen to what we have to say.

Zolar1

Zolar1

• 500 plus
  • 104 posts
Great post! Thanks. I was wondering about a lot of the information I have been reading about.

Yes, I want a long life. A life without amputations, blindness, and kidney failure.

I figure that I can eat one cheezeburger a week and still be ok. Do you agree?

Based on my posted numbers, how bad is my diabetes? Is it just the very beginnings? If I lose the weight, will that cure my disease? (30-40 pounds worth).

I do realize that if I can get it under control that I can't ever go back to eating like I used to, but the unpleasant results of diabetes is what I want to avoid. I have a 7 year old little boy that I love very much and want to watch him grow up and be there for him. Can't do that if I am a cripple or blind.

Do you think I will need insulin, pills, or just diet and exercise?

I can't get the books just yet. It's about a 25 miles drive just to get to the book store from where I live. Plus I have to see the doctor tomorrow and possibly get a glucose monitoring kit. Gotta shop around as suggested.

Another question: my feet burn, mostly at night, and my fingers tingle. Are these really bad symptoms?
As long as I am standing or walking, I have neither of these symptoms.

Hopefully I caught this problem really early. Did I?
04/10 a1c was 5.8
01/05 a1c was 5.7
10/09 a1c was 6.8
11/09 fasting BS was 127
11/09 2 hour GTT was 294

Cholesterol:

ramon

ramon

• 500 plus
  • 3,109 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas
  • I am a:Type 2

Zolar, there's a lot to learn about the management of diabetes, and you've come to the right place to learn it. These are the people who have lived with the disorder themselves instead of learning it from a book. These are the people who have tested and proven (or disproven) many ideas regarding what works, and these are the people who are not trying to sell you something. If you want the truth about diabetes, listen to the people here at Diabetes Forums.

Whatever medicines you're taking for other ailments should not be changed without talking to your doctor. There are many meds and supplements that can help us manage our diabetes, but there is presently no cure for the disorder, no matter how big & loud the advertisements are.

Yes, yams & sweet potatoes are better for us than regular white potatoes, but they're far from being the "best" thing we can eat. And we certainly can no longer have our yams or sweet potatoes swimming in sugary syrup.

Whatever source is telling you that fat is the culprit instead of sugar, would also sell you the Brooklyn Bridge, if you made them an offer. Fat is a diabetic's friend, in that it slows the absorption of the carbs in our meals. It is not the fat in the hot dogs that causes blood glucose to spike, it IS the bun. There is no one-two punch. It's foods that are made with white flour and sugar are going to spike us, regardless. It isn't fat (especially chicken) that's terribly bad. Chicken is a cornerstone of diabetic menus. Protein and fats do not affect our blood glucose. Only carbohydrates drive our numbers higher.

The best thing you can do to get a headstart on controlling your diabetic condition, is to start restricting your consumption of "white" foods. Nothing with white flour or sugar, no potatoes, no rice, no bread, no pasta. You can eat all the Thanksgiving turkey you can swallow - light meat and dark meat are both good for you.

ShottleBop has given extremely good advice In a metropolitan area as large as Cincinnati, you will certainly find these books available. Call your local bookstores - any large chain booksellers will have them, or can certainly GET them for you.

Some of what you learn about this is not going to make you happy, but if you are serious about controlling your diabetes and living to be old, listen to what we have to say.

Listen to her, and VANADIUM can cause serious heart problems. Take only what your doc gives you. STAY AWAY FROM CORNDOGS.

Vanadium in diabetes: benefit or harm?, by John Walsh, covers vanadium and other trace minerals in diabetes.

Granny Shanny

Granny Shanny

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,380 posts
It appears that you have caught this fairly early - your numbers are not off the charts - but losing weight is not going to cure it. Losing weight WILL help you manage it.

You said you have medicare as well as private insurance. You need to find what supplies are covered and get the monitor & strips that they will pay for. Have your doctor prescribe as many strips as you can - you'll need them.

None of us can predict what treatment you will need, so if your doctor is helpful, work with him. If he isn't, then get a referral to an endocrinologist. You are the one who will have to make the changes in your diet and lifestyle.

If you cannot get the books that have been recommended, then google blood sugar 101 as ShottleBop advised, and go read everything on that website.

And you could have a cheeseburger once a week, but only if you throw away the bun, okay?

Zolar1

Zolar1

• 500 plus
  • 104 posts
I guess no more couch potato here...

MANY MANY thanks for the advice. I will get the books when I can get there, but have to buy things first (monitor, etc).

In your opinion, am I diabetic or still prediabetic?

My numbers are really close. And my 294 may have been caused by what I ate the night before (Domino's hand tossed pepperoni pizza, 4 slices).

My digestion is a little slow. And have absolutely no appetite whatsoever. No hunger pains in months. I eat because I feel weak or because I know I should, at least once a day. Once in a while I eat because I am bored, but that is seldom and don't usually eat much.

I am taking loads of vitamins right now - fish oil, folic acid, niacin, multi-vitamin, B12, etc. Will any of that help? And I eat 3/4 cup of oatmeal at least 4 times a week with a whole spoonful of cinnamon in it. Sweetner is the artificial stuff in a pink package.
I do drink 1-3 White Castle coffees a day. I read that can help as well, but have been drinking that much for years. I drink tea at night.
04/10 a1c was 5.8
01/05 a1c was 5.7
10/09 a1c was 6.8
11/09 fasting BS was 127
11/09 2 hour GTT was 294

Cholesterol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users