Pump batteries

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Russell A.

Russell A.

• 500 plus
  • 618 posts
I read an old post yesterday regarding pros and cons of different pumps. There was a comment rearding lithium batteries lasting longer in a pump.

I was told not to use a lithium bat. in any pump by my last trainer. Has anyone else heard of that?

Russell

Hoyt54

Hoyt54

• 500 plus
  • 105 posts
I use the Animas Ping and it states right in the owner manual to use Lithium batteries, and if I do use alkaline batteries the life of the batteries will be less. Do not see why you could not use lithium in any pump, but then again I am new at this.:)

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
I've always followed the recommendation by Mini Med to use "Energizer" batteries in my pump. I have been tempted to try Litiums, but with my luck, my pump would stop working! LOL

Karen

Mich

Mich

• 500 plus
  • 2,242 posts
I'm with Karen, my Cozmo trainer recommended "Bunny Batteries" (Energizer) and I've just stuck with them. I usually get 2-3 weeks out of a battery because I use the light a lot and also my screen displays for my cozmonitor.

Mich

volzman

volzman

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have mm 722 and have used lithium batteries and it does last longer but when it dies it dont give much warning.

SueM

SueM

• 500 plus
  • 1,413 posts

I'm with Karen, my Cozmo trainer recommended "Bunny Batteries" (Energizer) and I've just stuck with them. I usually get 2-3 weeks out of a battery because I use the light a lot and also my screen displays for my cozmonitor.

Mich

It doesn't matter what make of battery you use as long as it is the right sort.
Cozmo state that only alkaline batteries are to be used in the cozmo.
Sue
Pumping using bovine insulin. (Pump kindly donated by Solox)

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,118 posts

I have mm 722 and have used lithium batteries and it does last longer but when it dies it dont give much warning.

Using an Energizeer will give you at least an 8 hour warning. Using lithiums you may get no warning. You will get much longer use out of lithiums though. There are no warranty issues that I'm aware of.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
As per minimed instructions, I usually use the Energizers. I tested the Energizer "Ultimate", (it might be called something different near you, the top alkaline Energizer), and I found it did give about 20% more life, and importantly, I felt a lot more low battery warning.

Hard to be definitive though as I find batteries wear quite variably, probably due to things like temp basals, batteries, alarms, using the light, etc.

While they are more expensive, if you see them on sale they may be well worth a try if longer life is an issue.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,769 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
As this is brought up all the time the reasoning is...sorry for the following image being so large...

Posted Image

As you can see Alkaline batteries die evenly over time. They lose their voltage at a pretty steady pace. Pumps measure battery life by voltage from what I've determined. As the voltage drops it registers the different bars for battery life. The pumps are programmed based on that voltage info. With a lithium ion it holds a strong charge for quite a while and then simply dies off. Pumps are not programmed for this sharp voltage change.

Animas has gone a step further and they have programmed the pump (based on the user saying if a lithium or an alkaline is in the pump) to be able to tell both voltage changes. This allows the user to select any battery and the pump will properly give the correct battery bars. Why other pumps haven't done it I won't know. Kinda amazes me since it's only a programming change and nothing else in the pump.

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

SGT Shoutmore

SGT Shoutmore

• 500 plus
  • 253 posts
As per Animas, I use lithium batteries. When I was using a MiniMed pump I used Energizer batteries as per MiniMed. I just follow the manufacturers guidelines.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pumping Apidra in the Animas One Touch Ping silver.

I, being a control freak, diabetes makes for a great victim.

A1c 03/10 5.6 (All too easy)

Russell A.

Russell A.

• 500 plus
  • 618 posts
Thanks for all your input. I now remember the comment my (Cozmo) trainer made: The Lithium did not give any warning before going out and it could possibly damage the pump.

I know with my MM they said not to use Duracell and I did have some issues when I tried them in my 712.

I am going on 6 months on the same battery with my Cozmonitor. It is the sole meter I use. What kind of battery life are you finding with the meter?

Russell

Gary_W

Gary_W

• 500 plus
  • 1,335 posts
Animas actually send me out Lithium batteries as part of my supplies, so it would be rude not to use them :)

The thing that is weird to me is the usual 'do not use rechargeable batteries' advice. Always strikes me as weird, because a well-charged NimH battery will give a decent alkaline a run for its money. A couple of years ago, I bought a 16 battery at a time charger that refreshes and charges AAA and AA batteries, and I make it a rule to not buy 'regular' batteries as this way is a lot greener and a lot kinder on the pocket.

My wife makes fun of the battery fetish. And other things :T
The people of the Village call me 'The King and Queen of Fajitas'. I know not why....

typeone

typeone

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

I am going on 6 months on the same battery with my Cozmonitor. It is the sole meter I use. What kind of battery life are you finding with the meter?

Russell

I have been using a Cozmo for 5 years and am now on my second one - The Cozmonitor batteries last about a year.
George

Mich

Mich

• 500 plus
  • 2,242 posts
My cozmonitor batteries lasted a little over a year for each one.

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,769 posts

The thing that is weird to me is the usual 'do not use rechargeable batteries' advice. Always strikes me as weird, because a well-charged NimH battery will give a decent alkaline a run for its money. A couple of years ago, I bought a 16 battery at a time charger that refreshes and charges AAA and AA batteries, and I make it a rule to not buy 'regular' batteries as this way is a lot greener and a lot kinder on the pocket.

The problem is for most rechargeables, more than a great majority, that is not the case. And for most, the startout voltage is greatly under a regular alkaline or lithium and therefore upon immediate insertion the pump will think it's a dead battery. Again, simply comes down in my opinion to a simple programming of the pump. Another feature that I have yet to figure out why it hasn't been added. My Ipod Touch costs me $400 and does millions more calculations than a pump yet the pump costs 15 times as much.

●Police Dispatcher

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

SCC

SCC

• 500 plus
  • 1,030 posts
I swtiched from Energizer "regular" to their high tech lithium, found the lithium lasted twice as long, at least. But once the pump hits the 25% mark, I only let it go about 4 days and I change the battery, so have been unaware of the quick failure issues, good to know. Gary's post makes me want to at least try rechargable, though.
-Susan
Type 1 - 48 years and counting
Pumping since Sept 07 (MM Revel 523)

mike-munich

mike-munich

• 500 plus
  • 203 posts
I use Duracells over here, or Energizer back in the US. Had some bad experience with cheaper "no name" brands...:mad:

I was thinking about trying photo lithiums, the ones that are used in digital cameras... Just not sure if the Cozmo can handle them. :confused:
Life's too short not to live it as a Texan...

2007 black Deltec Cozmo
2005 black BMW R1200GS
2005 black Ford Mustang GT

Gary_W

Gary_W

• 500 plus
  • 1,335 posts

The problem is for most rechargeables, more than a great majority, that is not the case. And for most, the startout voltage is greatly under a regular alkaline or lithium and therefore upon immediate insertion the pump will think it's a dead battery. Again, simply comes down in my opinion to a simple programming of the pump. Another feature that I have yet to figure out why it hasn't been added. My Ipod Touch costs me $400 and does millions more calculations than a pump yet the pump costs 15 times as much.

I have Duracell 2650mAh NimH batteries, and they outlast alkaline Duracells....

As to the iPod vs Pump, it's not just a case of electronics involved. Its a case of Apple will sell 1000 iPod touch for every Ping that Animas sell. And Apple won't have to go through the regulatory hoops to get the product to market that a medical device has to. And you don't need sales reps to sell iPod touches a unit at a time whereby with most medical devices that is exactly what you need. For all of these reasons and more, a medical device will cost far more than consumer electronics.
The people of the Village call me 'The King and Queen of Fajitas'. I know not why....

Lloyd

Lloyd

• 500 plus
  • 1,906 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
I am nearly done doing a series of battery tests with my cozmo.
I am a very heavy battery user, a T2 pumping a lot of insulin, lots of alarms, back lighting, and sync with my computer.
Consider this pretty much a worst case, it seems likely the comparisons will have value though.

Energizer Lithium...........................13 days
Energizer Titanium...........................6 days
"our family" house brand alcoline.......5 days
"menards" house brand alcoline ........5 days
Duracell..........................................5 days
Energizer.........................................5 days

The battery meter does give you little warning with lithium, from when you first notice less than a full charge to battery warning alarm for an almost dead battery is about 3 or 4 hours. As a T2, that does not worry me. It would if I were a T1 and a heavy sleeper.

-Lloyd

2014 A1c 5.4 5.6 5.8   2013 5.3 4.9 5.2 5.2
2012 5.3 5.2 5.1 5.0
2011 5.0 5.0 5.2 5.0 2010 5.3 5.3 5.3 5.4 5.4
2009 5.4 5.4 5.3 5.2 2008 5.0 5.1 5.2 4.9 4.9
2007 5.3 5.5 5.7<---Pump 6.9 (Mix)
2006 (Lantus) 7.8 8.5 8.7 7.1
2005 8.4 6.9 7.4 2004 6.2 5.6 6.4 6.0 (Pills)

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,769 posts

As to the iPod vs Pump, it's not just a case of electronics involved. Its a case of Apple will sell 1000 iPod touch for every Ping that Animas sell. And Apple won't have to go through the regulatory hoops to get the product to market that a medical device has to. And you don't need sales reps to sell iPod touches a unit at a time whereby with most medical devices that is exactly what you need. For all of these reasons and more, a medical device will cost far more than consumer electronics.

I understand the cost thing...but for the cost, you would think they could add a few extra lines of programming to read different battery types. Animas did it, so it's not an impossible task and an Animas technical person is the one that told me it's all based on voltage levels, so that would be pretty easy to program into the pump.

●Police Dispatcher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users