Vicks NyQuil/Dayquil

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

jusrelaxin

jusrelaxin

• 500 plus
  • 134 posts
Sooooo.........Im sick! haha and it sucks and I cant sleep at night and my throat is killing me.I know before having the big D that nyquil and dayquil worked soooo great for me. Now I want to take it now...does anyone know if it has any affect on my blood sugar? high or low.Does anyone have experience? Thanks guys!
Amber

Type 1 Diagnosed July 28 2008
A1C at diagnosis 9.1
Oct 24/08 A1C 6.6 :D
Feb 9/09 A1C 6.6 :D
1:5 Humalog
10 Units Lantus before bed

AngelKitty

AngelKitty

• 500 plus
  • 1,564 posts
Hi Amber, sorry to hear you're not feeling well.
Check your medicine to see if it's sugar free (or has no added sugar on the label).
You can also get throat lozengers that are sugar free for your sore throat.
If there's no sugar it should not affect your blood sugar readings. However, being sick can elevate your blood sugars.
Keep drinking lots of fluids and checking your BGLs every two hours.
Hope you feel better soon :)

:angel: AngelKitty

Dx T1 Sept 2008
Pumping NovoRapid with Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm 722 - nicknamed Schultz

jillrapp

jillrapp

• 500 plus
  • 1,141 posts
I think the gelcaps are sugar free, the liquid does have sugar though :(
Jill in AZ

dar917

dar917

• 500 plus
  • 745 posts
I use NyQuil and Dayquill when I'm sick; I don't think it affects my blood sugar one way or the other.
Posted Image
T1 dx'd 6.21.07
Lantus+Novolog
BS test 5-6x/day, AccuChek Aviva
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.darlenemusic.com

A_Darling

A_Darling

• 500 plus
  • 124 posts
I just went thru about a month of sickness, complete with fever, chills, sore throat, and now a lingering cough. Nyquil/Dayquil combo kept me comfortable during the worst of it, and it helps to get a good night of sleep to get you back on your feet and healed.

There is a bit of an impact on my blood sugar but it's only noticeable if I don't have a fever, in that situation my BG is all over the place on it's own so nyquil is not the worry. Dayquil caplets don't have any impact.

Janlaton

Janlaton

• 500 plus
  • 679 posts
So far as cough meds are concerned I have to have the tessalon pearls. You take one with a whole 8 oz of water. They have no sugar, most cough syrups are loaded with sugars. So watch what you take otc.
Janlaton:)
type 2 40 years
Avandia, Glipzide & Metformin
Grandmother to 4 wonderful children

I have diabetes, It does not have me!

genie86333

genie86333

• 500 plus
  • 2,191 posts
Nyquil is the ONLY cold medicine that has ever worked for me so I still take it if I'm sick. I'm just cautious about it & only use it if I have to because #1 it has sugar (which can cause a spike) and #2 it has alcohol (which can cause a low because it hinders the liver's natural glucose dump.)

GeishaGirl

GeishaGirl

• 500 plus
  • 762 posts
To be perfectly honest, I tend to let my sugar coast while I'm sick enough for medicine. Not saying I eat ice cream and don't bolus, but there comes a point where your immediate needs come before more long-term needs.

Put it this way: Being sick at all throws your sugars out of whack. Not sleeping throws them even MORE out of whack. Even if Nyquil has a temporary effect on your BS, that is easily correctable. The weird hormones that wreck you after a sleepless night are not so easy to predict and fix.
Amanda
misDX type 2 8/2007, reDX type 1 8/2008

[SIZE="2"]
Pumping since 11/2008, Purple Minimed 722 named Barney

Other Meds:
Metformin 1000mg 2x/day
Fomotine 2x/day

Latest a1c: 7.6 (ugh)

sable_032592

sable_032592

• 500 plus
  • 525 posts
i use buckley's pills or the vicks nyquill/dayquill pills as well... the tylenol ones are good too... the likelyhood of there being anything that will raise your BS in the pills is rare, but if you're still worried, make sure to get your cold/flu meds at the same place as where you get your diabetes meds... and talk to your pharmacist... i've known mine for more than 10 years now and he helps me find the right meds for anything i need, be it creams, plasters (allergic to latex) or OTC meds like cold/flu caplets...

the one i don't touch is Advil, liquid or pills, i was told not to take anything from advil... which is a shame because it used to work wonders on any kind of toothache...

keep an eye on your temp and anything that might come out (kinda gross, but green or yellowish phlegm can mean an infection)...
sable,
type 1 diabetes since march 25th, 1992

Posted Image
www.spca.com

cheric

cheric

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
I recently found that robitussin dm has a sugar free version that is specially formulated for diabetics (says so on the bottle). I used it about 2 weeks ago when I was really feeling bad with the stuffy nose, congestion, sore throat and cough. It worked amazingly well. After taking it for a day or two I was feeling pretty much back to normal & my bg levels stayed fine throughout.
CHERI

TYPE 1
DX 05/2003
LANTUS 34U
HUMALOG 1:10

currently working on my numbers...will reveal once I get the updated ones :)

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,816 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I like the Tylenol Severe Cold/Flu Formula...it's liquid and it worked as good as Nyquil for me (I don't think it has the alcohol that Nyquil has). It helps with body aches, cough, sore throat. There's a nighttime formula that really knocked me out and let me get some rest.

Feel better soon!

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

paramountz

paramountz

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

I like the Tylenol Severe Cold/Flu Formula...it's liquid and it worked as good as Nyquil for me (I don't think it has the alcohol that Nyquil has). It helps with body aches, cough, sore throat. There's a nighttime formula that really knocked me out and let me get some rest.

Feel better soon!

The alcohol is the best part lol...

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,816 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2

The alcohol is the best part lol...

I prefer a boat-drink to a medicine cup...but you're right, some days i'd take either one!;)

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

jusrelaxin

jusrelaxin

• 500 plus
  • 134 posts
Thanks for all your input guys! I have been taking dayquil/nyquil liquid pills and they dont seem to be doing anything to my blood sugar...or my cold either :( i feel like **** but I am going to take some of your guys' suggestions and try something else! Thanks!
Amber

Type 1 Diagnosed July 28 2008
A1C at diagnosis 9.1
Oct 24/08 A1C 6.6 :D
Feb 9/09 A1C 6.6 :D
1:5 Humalog
10 Units Lantus before bed

genie86333

genie86333

• 500 plus
  • 2,191 posts
I hope you find something that works. Unfortunately, the nyquil/dayquil pills did nothing for me either.

lorilei

lorilei

• 500 plus
  • 3,151 posts
isn't nyquil a bit addicting?...i also get a hangover from it...like i'm walking through sludge the next day...but it is lovely for the nightime...hope you feel better soon...good thread to tag..

lori;)

Novolog ~ mm522..
Working on Tour de Cure Princeton 2012~ June ;)
ACCOMPLISHED
MS Ride 75 miles on 9/24/11:)
Tour de Cure June 2011, June 2012
Livestrong 10k on foot Aug 2011
Treasure Island Tri~ Sept, 2010, Oct 2011

One life you've got to do what you should....

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
Hope you're feeling better today!

I swear by Nyquil & Dayquil liqui-gels. They work great for me!

Karen

genie86333

genie86333

• 500 plus
  • 2,191 posts

isn't nyquil a bit addicting?...i also get a hangover from it...like i'm walking through sludge the next day...but it is lovely for the nightime...hope you feel better soon...good thread to tag..

I've never had a problem with it being addicting or having a hangover from it - I *do* feel a bit like I'm walking thru sludge, but I do that anyway when I'm sick - all I want to do is sleep - Once I was so sick I gave my hamster extra food because I knew I'd be sleeping for the next few days & then accidentally left the cage door open - and my sweet little darling was still in her cage 3 days later when I finally was well enough to notice.

Janlaton

Janlaton

• 500 plus
  • 679 posts
Glad your hamster was a cage or home body!

Might know it I just finished off a round of meds for an ear infection and turned around and started a chest cold isn't that the life! Well I have Vicks Vapor Rub and plenty of my cough pearls and Albuterol so I will be ok. Hope you are much better.
Janlaton:)
type 2 40 years
Avandia, Glipzide & Metformin
Grandmother to 4 wonderful children

I have diabetes, It does not have me!

genie86333

genie86333

• 500 plus
  • 2,191 posts

Glad your hamster was a cage or home body!

Yeah, same here. She was a *very* smart hamster - knew her name & would even come when you called her name - so I attribute it to her knowing she was well-treated (very, very spoiled) and choosing to stay where she knew I could find her!

Oh, another thing about colds - sugar-free cough drops work great & don't taste *too* bad (at least not any worse than the regular ones. LOL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users