diabetes makes me so sleepy

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

sanflan

sanflan

• Members
  • 291 posts
I am a type 2 diabetic and have been for about 6 years. I have within the last year gone on insulin. My biggest problemis that I get attacks of sleepiness that take over and I am out like a light. I was wondering if anyone else gets so sleepy they are not able to function even in the middle of the day and if so what do you do about it.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,128 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Are your blood sugars high when you become sleepy? I note that i'm more lethargic when my numbers are elevated.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

Scratch

Scratch

• Seniors
  • 2,088 posts
Have you brought this up with your doctor? It may be a side-effect of medication you're on or depending on your history, it may be symptomatic of something that would require a sleep study to diagnose.
MDI, Lantus and Novolog
A1c 2/12 -- 5.9%

fgummett

fgummett

• Seniors
  • 7,916 posts
Are you overweight? If so you might discuss with your Doctor -- as mentioned above -- a sleep study. I was falling asleep at work until last year I found out that I have Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)... I was obstructing on average 58 times every hour :eek: so little wonder I woke up tired, with an high BP, and increased appetite for high-energy foods...

Not saying that is what is going on with you but something to consider. :)

Insulin + carbs and/or high numbers makes me sleepy as well.

Evermont

Evermont

• Seniors
  • 3,370 posts
There is a documented link between sleep and T2. I wouldn't rule out that you may have cause and effect reversed - perhaps sleepiness is aggravating your diabetes.

I recommend that people to look up "sleep hygiene" and try to improve things in that direction.

sanflan

sanflan

• Members
  • 291 posts
My sleepiness seems to be related to movement in blood sugar either way. Sometimes my bg are moving up or down. I wish I could keep my sugars constant. I might get a sleep attack at 90 or at 300. Sometimes when they are higher have more energy. It is hard to tell what makes it happen.

Debbie Sue

Debbie Sue

• Seniors
  • 658 posts

There is a documented link between sleep and T2. I wouldn't rule out that you may have cause and effect reversed - perhaps sleepiness is aggravating your diabetes.

I recommend that people to look up "sleep hygiene" and try to improve things in that direction.

I just read a bit about sleep hygiene and one tip was to block out all disruptive noise. I agree but my husband snores off and on all night every night. we have a spare bedroom I can sleep in but he gets so offended and takes it personally if I even hint of going back there to sleep. I have tried ear plugs and I can still hear him enough to stay awake. How can I convince him I need the sound sleep and not hurt his feelings? I can't seem to win for losing in this situation with him. It always ends in an argument.
Please bare with me... I am struggling over here.

sanflan

sanflan

• Members
  • 291 posts
Thanks, I do have some sleep apnea that I have not treated. Did treating you sleep apnea help your diabetes also?

Evermont

Evermont

• Seniors
  • 3,370 posts

I just read a bit about sleep hygiene and one tip was to block out all disruptive noise. I agree but my husband snores off and on all night every night. we have a spare bedroom I can sleep in but he gets so offended and takes it personally if I even hint of going back there to sleep. I have tried ear plugs and I can still hear him enough to stay awake. How can I convince him I need the sound sleep and not hurt his feelings? I can't seem to win for losing in this situation with him. It always ends in an argument.

It's the right question Debbie Sue. I don't know that I can answer it but you should stay on it until you have something worked out. What's the point of all that avoiding this food or that, exercising, managing stress and so on only to compromise all your efforts for lack of good sleep. It seems like either he doesn't understand the importance of it, or doesn't care about your well being. If it's just that he doesn't understand then help him understand. Look up the info, make him read it. Talk to your doctor, ask doc to do some head shaping on the ol' man.

I don't understand his insistence that you endure this suffering nightly at the expense of your health. Whatever it is you should tell him that you want his help in coming up with some - any solution. Work on his snoring, try small noise canceling earbuds with nature sounds or white noise or some triple flange earplugs (for construction workers). Look into active noise cancellation. Keep an air horn on your night table. Stop showering. Eat beans eggs and beer. Get him a teddy bear or a night light. Get creative. Work the problem until it's not a problem.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,128 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Debby, your hubby may benefit from a sleep study as well, as snoring to that extent may be a sign of obstructive sleep apnea.

You could also sew a golf or tennis ball in the back of a t-shirt and make him wear it to bed...it will keep him off his back...or wait until you're sleep before he comes to bed as then his snoring won't bother you.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

fgummett

fgummett

• Seniors
  • 7,916 posts

Thanks, I do have some sleep apnea that I have not treated. Did treating you sleep apnea help your diabetes also?

Very much so... I was using upwards of 120-130u Total Daily Dosage (TDD) of insulin with the sleep apnea and went down almost overnight to around 90u TDD after I started CPAP. It also helped to reduce my BP and hunger.

genie86333

genie86333

• Seniors
  • 2,191 posts
Debbie Sue,

Don't have an answer for you, but wanted to let you know I totally understand. My ex-fiance's family used to joke that he snored loud enough to keep the neighbors awake...and he'd drop off to sleep the second his head hit the pillow, so it was always a problem...and he used to act so offended if he found me curled up with one of my daughters in their beds a the other end of the house when he woke up!

Hope one of the other's suggestions is able to help!

HuskerMychal

HuskerMychal

• Seniors
  • 725 posts

. Keep an air horn on your night table. Stop showering. Eat beans eggs and beer. Get him a teddy bear or a night light. Get creative. Work the problem until it's not a problem.

Geez get real mean. Dont shave your legs for a few days then rub the stubble on him all night long when he snores LOL:T
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Humulin U-500 Pumping Pink Ping
Metformin 850mg 3x a day
Cpap 18 Cm H2o with Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask
Aspirin 162 mg a day
Zetia 10mg a day
Tricor 145mg a day
Benazepril 20mg a day
Dyazide 27.5-25mg a day
Metoprolol 50mg a day
Lyrica 50mg 2x day
Vicadin 325 x 5 2x a day