Bike Riding

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

amccrazgrl

amccrazgrl

• 500 plus
  • 885 posts
I know there are quite a few bike riders on here.
I was wondering what bikes do you ride?

I'm looking to start riding on neighborhood/back roads that sometimes have no shoulders. I did go look at the bike shop. I never knew bikes could cost so much.

Any tips? I really don't want to spend like $400 and up on a bike. The guy at the bike shop showed me the Trek 7.1 FX for $440.
April Type 1 DX'd 4-16-96 at age 12
13 days before 13th bday 15 yrs ago

AM=10mg Lisnipril & Vitamin D
PM=10mg Zetia

Animas Blue Ping since 12-28-09
Cozmo Blue Pump 07-08-05 to 12-28-09

valc3

valc3

• 500 plus
  • 3,169 posts
I have a Schwinn bike, it's several years old, nothing fancy. I think I spent $200 on it and have been very happy with it. I ride back roads that are dirt/gravel also very hilly. Happy riding.
Val

Take care of your body. Where else are you going to live?

A_Darling

A_Darling

• 500 plus
  • 124 posts
As in most cases, you really do get what you pay for. You're getting into biking at a time when bike prices are actually pretty high compared to the last few years, but it still comes down to quality when you hand over a few more bucks.

Now choosing a bike can be difficult, I would suggest trying to figure out what kind of riding you want to do. Will you stick strictly to pavement and leisurely riding, or do you think you may want to get a bit faster and do the road bike thing (tour de france type), or do you think you may want to take the bike off the road and do some mountain biking? Another good question is how often do you think you'll ride the bike.

There are different bikes and different prices for each decision. I lean more to the off road side, but I also have road and cruiser bikes too. The trek type bike that you mentioned is a good starter bike for pavement, and there are similar bikes but with a suspension fork and fat tires would be more on the mountain bike side, both at about the same price.

Visit the bike shops in your area, find a good one with good people and then ask them all the questions you have. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Gordonm

Gordonm

• 500 plus
  • 1,514 posts
I'm not bragging at all here but my bike to replace it would be around 3000. Yes it is a lot and you can find a good bike for far less but I ride a lot and maintain a pretty good pace. As said above you get what you pay for.

Now I also bought my son a bike for about 150. A mountain bike. I enjoy riding that on occasion for something different and it is a very good bike.

Plan on spending from 400 on up for a good bike. The better bikes have better components and shifters and so on. Look around. I did not pay 3K for mine I bought it used for far less. You might find a good deal on a used bike. There is a good bike forum also that I frequent that has good info.
Type 1 since 4/74
Pump user since 10/17/06!
MM 523 pump
Bike miles
2013 3196
2014 2450 miles

morrisma

morrisma

• 500 plus
  • 2,253 posts
Whether you spend a couple of hundred or a couple thousand, make sure you get a bike that fits!
Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Type 1 since 1988
Pumping since 2002
CGMS since 2010

Wolf

Wolf

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
It seems to me like you're a candidate for a "comfort bike" which is in between a road bike and a mountain bike. It's fine for occasionally riding on dirt or a little gravel on an unpaved shoulder but also isn't nearly as slow on pavement as a mountain bike.

I have a road bike since I ride exclusively on paved roads, and I like to ride fast. But my handlebars are the mountain bike style, so I'm not so hunched over. The comfort bikes all have the mountain bike-style handlebars.

I think you can get a decent comfort bike for around $300.

Ronin

Ronin

• 500 plus
  • 1,610 posts
Hi Amccrazgrl!

It is not surprising for an adult returing to bicycling to get sticker shock, as well as being a bit overwhelmed with the vast range of choices available.

The first thing to know is: how serious are you about using the bicycle for exercise? If you are very serious, the investiment of $400 or more will have a big payback.

If you are just exploring: try a garage sale or classified ads and find a rideable bicycle to try it out. As Mike noted a good fit is essential.

If you find you really like riding a bicycle you will be more than willing to spring for an "expesnsive" bike. As Gordon and I will note $400 for a bicycle is what we would call inexpensive. YMMV.
Be well, do good work, and keep in touch
[Garison Keilor]

Ronin (a.k.a, George N. Wells, CPIM)
Tandemist/Lay Theologian
Enjoying Life and Learning about myself everyday.

Pre-D -- Not on Insulin :D (yet) :eek:
For Cholesterol though:
2500 mg Niacin
5 mg Zocor
2013 Cycling Miles: 4880 (31 Dec)
2014 Cycling Miles: 3635 (30 Sep)

Fasting C-peptide 1.4 (02 Oct 08)

HbA1c's:

01-Jun-2014 -- 5.7%
01-Jul-2014 -- 5.6%
01-Aug-2014 -- 5.2%
01-Sep-2014 -- 5.5%
01-Oct-2014-- 5.7%

amccrazgrl

amccrazgrl

• 500 plus
  • 885 posts
Thanks for all the information.

I would like to ride at least once a week to start off. I just hope I don't buy a bike and decide its not for me. (Like my dirtbike.)

I will have a riding partner so doubt I'll be bored.

Here are 3 bikes I liked searching and keeping under $400.
Trek 820 $330
Diamondback Edgewood $250 ish
Diamondback Lustre 1 $230

There is an Diamondback Outlook for $230 and a Diamondback Wildwood for $209.

Are mountain bikes really that bad/good for back roads? I'm not looking to do Tour de France riding. I would like maybe going on trails if I find any (besides through our 10 acres we do have a field w/ grass,dirt,trees.)
April Type 1 DX'd 4-16-96 at age 12
13 days before 13th bday 15 yrs ago

AM=10mg Lisnipril & Vitamin D
PM=10mg Zetia

Animas Blue Ping since 12-28-09
Cozmo Blue Pump 07-08-05 to 12-28-09

A_Darling

A_Darling

• 500 plus
  • 124 posts
Mountain bikes are great for gravel and dirt roads, the fatter tires don't transmit the bumpiness to your hands and arms as much as thin tires and no suspension. IMHO a hardtail mountain bike is pretty much perfect for anything.

Just keep in mind that the bikes you're listing are not very "upgrade" friendly. Basically, you ride the thing until it's dead or broke and then move on to a better setup (price of labor doesn't justify replacing cheap parts).

Gordonm

Gordonm

• 500 plus
  • 1,514 posts
I actually have 4 bikes. 2 road 1 me 1 for the wife. They are expensive. We also have a what I call a Trek hybrid that is a cross between a road and mountain bike. I think that was around 450 for that bike. I ride this mostly on the road for a casual ride of 15 miles or less. I ride this at the beach for a casual ride. My sons/my other bike is a mountain bike that we ride in the trails. Fat tires and all. It is OK on the road but a lot slower. The Trek you listed looks OK for some road and trail riding. As said above not an upgradeable bike but a good starter bike. If you stay with it this can become your "second" bike.
Type 1 since 4/74
Pump user since 10/17/06!
MM 523 pump
Bike miles
2013 3196
2014 2450 miles

ncpd25

ncpd25

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
I use to do A LOT of riding when I lived on Long Island. I had a Motobecane and a Dawes. Then I stopped riding for several years. I now live in Virginia Beach and when I picked riding up again, I was pretty certain I wasn't going to ride as I did before. Based on that, I bought a Cannondale Hybrid (road, mountainbike). It has the appearance of a "tame" mountainbike with street tires and rims.
I chose this route due to the fact, I knew I wasn't going to ride as hard as I use to and I didn't want to get back into a racer. I'm comfortable with a more upright position. The nice thing about my Cannondale Hybrid, is that it has a shock on the front which provides me with some 'cushioning" as I broke my wrist in 9 places years ago and need the softer feel in the handlebars.
I think if you're going to start off riding 1x a week and then work your way up, I would suggest getting something that fits your needs right now. I realize you can go on the higher side of purchasing a bike but, until you get involved and continue it, I would keep it all in prespective. I'm not saying buy a piece of **** but, it would be like buying a set of Pings (What are Pings???-A higher end set of golf clubs) as a first set of golf clubs. I would get a starter bike to begin with. Maybe $300-$400. There are a lot of decent bikes out there in that range.
First of all, you don't necessarily have to buy new for a first bike, you could buy a used bike. Of course, you have to know what to look for but, if you went to a garage sale, after doing some research and saw something that caught your eye, ask the seller if you could take it for a quick spin. You should be able to get a fairly good idea if you like it or not. If you prefer new, a bike shop would be able to help get into a bike best suited for your needs, would make sure you have a proper fitting bike and will sometimes, throw in a couple of extras (water bottle etc..). Bike shops will have closeouts on last years model sometimes too. They should allow you to test ride a bicycle as well.
If you don't have a lot of experience with bikes, I don't think you'll notice a huge difference between a lower level and a higher end bike. Bottom line, if you get a bike with decent components etc..your riding experience will be enjoyable.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is, it would be ridiculous for an amateur golfer going out and buying a set of clubs close to what Tiger uses. I know many people that have bought expensive clubs , used them for a season and never played again.
In the event, you really get involved, you can upgrade at a later date, if you feel the need. Keep it fairly simple for now and go from there.
I think a good starter bike would be a Schwinn, Trek, Giant, Mongoose, just to name a few. Try and avoid buying a bike at Walmart, Target etc..
Just be sure to get some baseball cards (preferably of players you don't like) and a spring action clothespin so, you can make your bike sound like a motorcycle while you ride. Ha! (Just kidding).
A little bit of research and homework will go a long way. Best of luck and Happy riding.

Russell A.

Russell A.

• 500 plus
  • 618 posts
CRZYgirl:

I think we had a thread a few months back on this subject, I will try to find it.

I would check out Craig's list (.com)

I spent about $450 on a Specialized Hybrid about 10 years ago and I bet it would be well over a grand now. Ask a friend if they have a bike they are not using and see if they want to sell. At leas to start.

Russell

Russell A.

Russell A.

• 500 plus
  • 618 posts

CRZYgirl:

I think we had a thread a few months back on this subject, I will try to find it.

Russell

Here it is:

http://www.diabetesf...ing-a-bike.html

Love my Cozmo Too!

dme100

dme100

• 500 plus
  • 111 posts
I am a manager of a bicycle store, have been for last of 25+ years. Yes the bike the shop showed you is a very good bicycle for general exercise. You could also look for a good used bicycle. Not all shops take trade-ins or sell used bikes, but the larger population area you live in the better chance of finding a good used bike. Don't be afraid to buy one from a good dealer, we make sure the used bikes we sell are in top condition and we stand by them. We want your future business and your referral to your friends, so we make sure we take good care of our customers who buy new or used.
You can also find some pretty good bikes at Wal-Mart as long as you don't buy their super low priced. Also, if you do, take it to a local shop for a check over/tune up before you ride it as some discount stores are not know for proper and quality assembly. Such service could run $35-60, so consider this cost in the purchase. Also, a bike shop can suggest other items to make your riding more fun and safe.
Go for it, it's a great form of exercise and I can't wait for spring to get out riding
David

jkane13

jkane13

• 500 plus
  • 386 posts
My bike is a Harley Ultra Classic. :) My wife has a Harley Dyna SuperGlide with a Lehman Trike Kit.

Sorry for crashing, but the subject got me started reading the thread. :T
-Jeff

PPierce

PPierce

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a Trek R200 Recumbent Bike and love it. I find it hard to ride around the streets when it is either 20 degrees or there is snow on the ground. As soon as the weather warms up I will be back in the saddle and riding all the time.

Paul
:) Paul
type 2 dx 12/07
Lantus
Humalog
Lisinipril
Zocor
Requip
Asprin

clulham

clulham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I started riding consistently last year. Age 67. I had purchased a mountain bike for around $500.00. I then went to a bike exhibition and from there bought a middle of the road bike for around $1500.00. I finished out with 3000 miles for the year. The difference in the ride was dramatic.

Be sure to try and ride a few different bikes before making a decision.

Getting the right seat was a challenge. I went through four seats before finding one that was comfortable enough to ride with for several hours. The bike shop let me try the different seats before deciding which one I wanted. They were also helpful with basic instructions and guidelines.

I also purchased a heart monitor from Polar which I used with the Heart Zones book listed below.

The two books I read that were the most helpful were "Cycling Heart Zones" and "Bicycling Bliss" I started out at four miles and worked up to 52 by the end of the year. With a earlier start this year I hope hope to hit a century by September.

Diabetic wise a two hour ride would often cause a 40 unit drop in blood sugar.

Also be sure to get a good pair of padded bicycle shorts and use Chamois butt'r. A big help. Also used Bag Balm until I toughened up a bit.

You might also consider joining a bike club.

Good Luck

Clyde

cwathne

cwathne

• 500 plus
  • 175 posts

Diabetic wise a two hour ride would often cause a 40 unit drop in blood sugar.

^ Even before factoring in things such as watt output and food recently consumed, the effect of exercise on a blood sugar levels vary dramatically from person to person. Its not a good idea to post things like that.

I've been an avid runner/cyclist for a long time. I currently have a 2007 Allez Elite.

Its a great workout and it lets you "get away" from things for a few good hours.

To the OP; if you know what you're looking for I would try to find a good used bike. You can often find much nicer bikes at a lower cost by going this rout.

How do you guys go about testing your blood sugars while on a ride? I check before the ride, then check about once an hour; I also have a cgms that i look at about every 15 minutes or so.
Type 1 since 3/2000
Humalog + HumulinN
Last A1C's: 5.8, 6.0, 5.9, 5.8, 5.6, 5.4 (6/8/10) ;)

dar917

dar917

• 500 plus
  • 745 posts
I have had my Roadmaster mountain bike for ten years; got it at Wal-Mart for something like $35. :D
Posted Image
T1 dx'd 6.21.07
Lantus+Novolog
BS test 5-6x/day, AccuChek Aviva
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.darlenemusic.com

SCC

SCC

• 500 plus
  • 1,030 posts
I had a road bike, then hybrid, then mountain, and NOW comfort. I sold all of the prior ones to people at work, just put up a card. I'd definitely go the used route if you can. I have a Specialized comfort bike and can ride it forever - it is so comfortable, reminds me of my bike as a kid. It was around $400 a few years ago.

The advice to make sure it FITS is probably the best here. If the bike fits well and feels like it's part of you, you will be happy and like to ride it.

Good luck!
-Susan
Type 1 - 48 years and counting
Pumping since Sept 07 (MM Revel 523)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users