- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

LizR

LizR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
If I am trying to lower BG and also lose weight, how many carbs per meal and per snack should I aim for. Or is it per day? I do not have any flour products or sugars. My carbs come in the form of vegetables. Are those carbs also limited?

Caravaggio

Caravaggio

Cool runner

• Seniors
  • 3,067 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
I don't count carbs so I can't answer your question as to how many carbs to aim for per meal or snack. However, I mostly adhere to no flour products and no added sugars. Most of my carbs come from vegetables and fruits, as well as whole grain cereals and whole wheat bread. I eat a lot of vegetables. I eat as much fruits as will not spike my BG. I limit my intake of whole grain cereals and whole wheat bread. I also eat the above with protein and what I call good fats (e.g., olive oil, avocado, salmon, nuts).

Test your BG before and 2-hours after meals, record the results as well as the food you've eaten to find a correlation between BG and food. That way, you'll know which carbs you need to eat less than others.

If you decide to count carbs, take into account other factors as well - weight, body built (muscular or not), your physical activities - before deciding on a specific number as I believe they affect your body's carb needs. For example, if you are a physically active person, your carb needs will be higher than someone who is inactive or slightly active.

Ronin

Ronin

• Seniors
  • 1,632 posts
Hi Liz!

As a fellow Pre-D I've learned that low carb doesn't have to be carb-obsessed. The real issue is that you have to time your carbs and avoid a large amount at one sitting.

Unless you are insulin resistant, your pancreas is working as well as your cells. Therefore you can injest carbs with the caveat that when you eat them you should either be getting ready to exercise or have just finished exercising. By timing the carbs your body will use them as energy or replenish the cells and liver that you have depleted while exercising.
Be well, do good work, and keep in touch
[Garison Keilor]

Ronin (a.k.a, George N. Wells, CPIM)
Tandemist/Lay Theologian
Enjoying Life and Learning about myself everyday.

Pre-D -- Not on Insulin :D (yet) :eek:
For Cholesterol though:
2500 mg Niacin
5 mg Zocor
2013 Cycling Miles: 4880 (31 Dec)
2014 Cycling Miles: 4615 (17 Dec)

Fasting C-peptide 1.4 (02 Oct 08)

HbA1c's:

01-Aug-2014 -- 5.2%
01-Sep-2014 -- 5.5%
01-Oct-2014 -- 5.7%
01-Nov-2014 -- 5.7%
01-Dec-2014 -- 5.5%

LizR

LizR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yes, I would say that I am carb obsessed! I read a book called "Syndrome X" and it had a diet that banned all fruits along with flour products and sugars. After losing the desired weight, you could add fruit. I think I will treat myself with a few apple slices w/no sugar peanut butter a couple times a week for my sanity. Thank you for your insight.

LizR

LizR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
How can you have bread when you don't have flour products? Or is it just no white flour that you avoid? I have to find a testing method so that I can monitor. What should I buy?

matingara

matingara

• Seniors
  • 2,175 posts

How can you have bread when you don't have flour products? Or is it just no white flour that you avoid? I have to find a testing method so that I can monitor. What should I buy?

before i started using insulin i totally avoided all bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc.

now that i am using small amounts of insulin i have added in the occasional slice of low carb multi-seed bread (8g per slice). i still avoid all the other things i listed.

as a general rule i avoid all fruit.

i try to keep my carbs below 30-40g per day.

snacks are mainly things like cheese, salami, celery, pork rinds, etc

i have become very fond of low carb chocolate that i have been buying at a place called Tony Fergusons. the brand of chocolate is from a company called "Sugarless Confectionery". this chocolate tastes like the real thing and is real low carb (8-10g per 100g serve).

i have this with a cup of tea and it is bliss.

:)

-- Joel.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
do not click here...

NUMBERS
-----------------
May 2010 : A1C (home) 5.5%: Feb 2010: A1C (home): 5.2% Oct 2009: A1C: 5.7%;
Triglycerides: 53 (0.6); HDL chol: 50 (1.2); LDL chol: 19.5 (0.5); total cholesterol 87.5
Lantus before bed - 30u; Novorapid for meals (averaging 20-30u per day); Lowish carb diet

Caravaggio

Caravaggio

Cool runner

• Seniors
  • 3,067 posts
  • I am a:Type 2

I mostly avoid flour products. I don't avoid all flour products. I tried that and nearly drove myself mad. :D Generally I do not eat most kinds of bread, pasta, cereals, rice, cookies, cakes. I eat small amounts of whole wheat bread and eat whole grain cereals (for example, 1 slice of whole wheat bread for an open sandwich; or for some breakfasts, whole grain cereals, soy milk and chopped fruits but no more than a total 1/2 to 3/4 cup).

As for testing monitors, I've only used One Touch Ultra Mini which suits me. Other DF members recommend other brands. Search the Monitoring Threads and you'll find a number of discussions on the pros and cons of certain monitors.

PERKDOUG

PERKDOUG

• Members
  • 359 posts

I have to find a testing method so that I can monitor. What should I buy?

The cost of test strips drives my selection of meters. I use a Walgreen brand (cost $18) that uses strips that are about $.50 each. It is a little awkward compared to the more modern and expensive brands where the strips average $1.00 a pop. I think Walmart and other big box stores have similar low end meters that use the less expensive strips. Even at $.50 a pop you can run through a good pile of money in a year. Being a carb obsessed Kook like myself, can add to the cost of living!
If money is no object go to the Bernstsein wedsite and see what he is recommending. It is probably the most accurate.

LizR

LizR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I tried to go to Dr. Bernstein's site but it said that the site was trying to be renewed and it was full of links to other sites. Does he sell all of his advice in books or is there another site I'm missing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users