Photo

What percentage of diabetes sufferers go blind?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ANyone any idea on the stats on the percentage of sufferers that eventually go blind?

Even a ballpark figure.

Like - are we talking 5% ?

Or are we talking something like 0.01% ?

fgummett

fgummett

• Seniors
  • 7,916 posts
Diabetes is a leading cause of blindness.

Don't be part of the statistic... take control of your BGs and avoid all complications.

No promises, but then any of us could get run down by a bus tomorrow.

Diabetic retinopathy - MayoClinic.com

Ten Golden Rules to Prevent Complications

Jan B

Jan B

• Seniors
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • I am a:Type 1
Any statistics you find will most likely include many people who did not/could not take care of themselves for whatever reason.
I read that 60% of diabetics will have some form of retinopathy after 15 years . . . but that doesn't mean they will go blind. With regular doctor's visits and attention to symptoms, a very small percentage will truly go blind.

I've always joked that if I ever go blind, at least I might get to have my dog go everywhere with me.

Can you tell us why you want a percentage?

Oh . . . I have never considered myself a "sufferer"!!
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
why do i want a percentage?

SO as i can have an indication as to the likelihood of it happening to me in the future.

Good point though that any stats will reflect most teh people that did not take proper care of themselves.

Kerstin

Kerstin

• Members
  • 470 posts
I like the way you look at it...
Your dog can go anywhere with you!! :)
:pcguru:
A1c

5.9 on 4/29/11 (off meds 4 months meds- after gastric bypass)
6.1 on 9/27/09
5.6 on 4/12/09:o
5.9 on 12/14/08 :(
5.3 on 10/7/08:elefant:
6.3 on 6/1/08:mad:
9/27/09: Triglyc:214:eek: , HDL 42, LDL 74
4/12/09:Triglyc: 111, HDL: 46, LDL: 94,
4/29/11 Tri:89, HDL 46, LDL 57

Exercise= Recumbent exercise bike, stair climbing, walking my dogs
:stickyman
Meds:
Zocor 80mg
Wellbuterin
Advir
Lumagin
Vitamens
Herbs
FishOil

Coppernob

Coppernob

• Seniors
  • 718 posts
How long have you been diabetic?
I have been diabetic for almost 41 years and so far, no sign of any eye complications. I am aiming to keep it that way. I have my eyes checked every year by an ophthalmologist, so if anything crops up it can be dealt with quickly. So far so good! :)
Sorry, I have just read a previous post where you say you were only diagnosed recently. It is a lot to take in and so fear of complications is understandable. The key is to learn as much as you can and to take good care of yourself. Ask questions here (the people here love questions and love to help others) and of your doctor. Knowledge is power! Good luck qwertyuiop (love the name :)) - stick around - lots of information and opinions available.

:cool:  Anne

Diagnosis: April 9, 1968
Pump (508): September 2001
522 + Sensor: February 18, 2008

xMenace

xMenace

• Seniors
  • 11,118 posts
Some of us are taking quite active measures to prevent further complications. Low A1C, dietary changes, high Omega 3 suppliments, low caffeine, BP control, etc. I just had my two month checkup yesterday and have zero signs of trouble. That's four in a row! I see him again in two months.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

Jan B

Jan B

• Seniors
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • I am a:Type 1

SO as i can have an indication as to the likelihood of it happening to me in the future.

Good point though that any stats will reflect most teh people that did not take proper care of themselves.

I wish I could tell you not to worry, but I used to worry about it myself. A few years ago, the signs of retinopathy started showing in my eyes. Fortunately, with continuing better control, I have healthier eyes than I did 10 years ago.

The truth is though, that stuff happens . . . even some of those doing everything right may still suffer some consequences of diabetes, including eye trouble. I'm still sticking with eye trouble NOT being equal to blindness. Treatment these days can allow people to never go blind. Macular degeneration nearly blinded my grandpa, but he didn't have diabetes (and retinopathy is what most diabetics worry about).

Welcome to DF Qwertyuiop. I love the name -- reminds me of my first typing class!
Jan

Type 1 since 1979
Diagnosed at age 18

cherokee_psh

cherokee_psh

• Seniors
  • 881 posts

You seem to be looking for solid answers where none exist!

I am 47 my highest bg (I've caught) has been 218. My highest A1C has been 6.3! Nothing really absolutely out of control here. Yet I have contracted glaucoma and cataracts.

I don't think there is a magic number where you can be safe. I've learned one thing from working in the prrivate sector, that is numbers and percentages can be twisted to reflect whatever the boss wants them to say.

BTW....I was diagnosed with prediabetes in the spring of 2004. I've since graduated to T2.
Susan

:flybye:

A1C - 6.9
Meter - Freestyle Lite

Medication
125 mcg Synthroid
100 mg Januvia
Latanoprost Eye Drop
Simvastatin 10 mg
Lantus SoloSTAR 10 units

Patient254

Patient254

• Seniors
  • 554 posts

Some of us are taking quite active measures to prevent further complications. Low A1C, dietary changes, high Omega 3 suppliments, low caffeine, BP control, etc. I just had my two month checkup yesterday and have zero signs of trouble. That's four in a row! I see him again in two months.

Why do you go every 2 months? Isn't that quite frequent? Absolutely no disrespect meant in that question. I take plaquinil for hives and I go every 6 months to make sure there's no effects or toxicity from this med and no complications from diabetes. I've just never heard of going every 2 months. Have you had any complications that you're keeping an eye on (no pun intended) - I'm talking about before the four in a row.
Laura
T1 Latest A1C is: 5.4

Richard157

Richard157

• Seniors
  • 1,407 posts
I have been Type 1 for 63 years and my eyes are fine, no diabetic complications there. Take good care of yourself and don't run a lot of high blood sugar, keep your A1c low (ideally below 6.0) and you may never develop diabetes complications. Good luck to you!

Richard
Type 1 for 68 years, A1c = 6.1, pump with MM 523 Revel, I have good health.

You never know how Strong you are until being strong is the ONLY choice you have!

rotcoddam

rotcoddam

• Members
  • 149 posts

ANyone any idea on the stats on the percentage of sufferers that eventually go blind?

Even a ballpark figure.

Like - are we talking 5% ?

Or are we talking something like 0.01% ?

I don't know about blindness, but something like 10 - 50% of diabetics wind up having laser treatment of retinopathy after something like 10 to 30 years of diabetes. The UKPDS (United Kingdom Prospective Diabetes Study) showed that better a1c led to much less retinopathy - like about 1/3 less for every 1 point drop in the a1c. The DCCT (Diabetes Control and Complications Trial - a US trial in Type 1 diabetes) showed the same thing for type 1 diabetes in the mid 1980s.

So keep that a1c low!!

Rotcoddam

annjee

annjee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Retinopathy first showed up at 24 for me. Then it disappeared for a few years and then showed again at 29. Three years later it is stable and I haven't had any lazer surgery. My dad went blind from retinopathy and glaucoma when he was 32. For years I was pertrified. Now, I realize as long as I take care of myself the best I can I CAN control what happens to my eyes. Better yet, they might even begin to heal themselves after years of tight control.

Did you know they put an almost dead diabetic kidney in a non diabetic person and in three years it had all of it's function back?

We can HEAL ourselves but we have to believe that we can and be very aggressive about doing so. I'm still working on a lot of changes but I do believe my eyes and kidneys will heal!

gingercake

gingercake

• Members
  • 147 posts
anecdotal:
I've had glasses for 10 years. Nearsighted. Blurry vision was something that got me to the doctor.
I was diagnosed with t2 one week ago yesterday. After five days of watching/balancing carbs and taking metformin, I see better without my glasses - the prescription is too strong. After 10 years. So, I don't know. That doesn't answer your question or anything but it seems like my vision is correcting itself now that I'm taking care of things. And that's without yet achieving fantastic BG control. I'm almost always under 200, but a couple time over, and haven't yet seen a number under 100. Take it for what it's worth...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users