art

art

• Seniors
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Florida
  • I am a:Type 2
Did a search and no answer.
Are lentils good carb wise?
Wonderful daughter sent me an article that there about a wonder food for diabetics.

True??

Art

kegstore

kegstore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
Art, lentils are a source of carb, and have a low GI in common with other pulses, so in theory they're a good thing, not sure about "wonder food" though...:)
"Powering On-line Shoe Shops"

foxl

foxl

• Seniors
  • 13,756 posts
There are many pulses. It is important to test your own reaction to each one.

I LOVE lentils. Have not tested on myself, yet. Portion control will be the rule however. I seem to be quite sensitive to almost everything ... except oatmeal.
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

Gary_W

Gary_W

• Seniors
  • 1,335 posts
According to Calorie King, boiled lentils are 20g of carbs per 100g of lentils along with 9g of protein. This is going to be a bit hit and miss as it depends on how much water you leave in with them....

There are loads of different kinds of lentils. If you have an Indian grocers (as in the country, not Native Americans :) ) then you'll probably find a stunning array of lentils of all different shapes, colours and sizes. They take a good long time to digest (low GI), so they seem to be very kind to post-meal spikes. They take on strong flavours very well, and can be taken in many different culinary directions. We do dishes influenced from India as well as France and Italy in our lentil munching :)

Give them a go and test a lot; they will hopefully pleasantly surprise you. If not, they are dirt cheap and if you keep the portion small first time you do it then you won't do any harm to you or your pocket.

Gary
The people of the Village call me 'The King and Queen of Fajitas'. I know not why....

owlyn

owlyn

• Seniors
  • 1,475 posts
Lentils are a pretty decent food bargain (carb:nutrition), but not a wonder food. A good substitute for more intense starches like pasta and rice.
Posted Image
Unless otherwise stated, the opinions expressed here are my own and are in no way intended to be considered as anything other than my opinion. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

art

art

• Seniors
  • 2,029 posts
Well Pasta is out and Rice absolutely destroys my BG's. I can't touch rice. As in one tablespoon.
That's part of my quandry over lentils.
To me the carb count looks high.

Art

foxl

foxl

• Seniors
  • 13,756 posts

Well Pasta is out and Rice absolutely destroys my BG's. I can't touch rice. As in one tablespoon.

Art

Yeah but it also might be the RICE, at least in my case. Even if brown. I was trying to make my "usual" dish ...

I am thinking of making a nice CREAM of lentil soup ... as in dairy cream, this weekend. Hold the rice. I will let you know if I do, how that affects me.
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
dx 02/09 in DKA

MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Walking 30 min 6x week

Subby

Subby

• Seniors
  • 10,158 posts

Art

Stop guessing and start testing. You'll have the answer for yourself, before you know it. :)
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

art

art

• Seniors
  • 2,029 posts
I'm asking so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

I don't like popping high numbers if I can avoid it.

So first I ask if anyone else has experience with it.

Art

soso

soso

• Seniors
  • 1,599 posts
I do fine with a modest amount of lentils in a soup...I can say they are def better than rice et al... there is something called channa dal which is a sort of immature chickpea that is good too... never eaten them in a clump though.. figure i have had 2 tbs in a soup without bad consequences..
SoSo

Dx Sept 2004
A1c 5.5
MDI

Subby

Subby

• Seniors
  • 10,158 posts

I'm asking so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

I don't like popping high numbers if I can avoid it.

So first I ask if anyone else has experience with it.

Art

I wasn't criticizing your asking about experience with lentils. You also asked "are lentils good carb wise". There is no way to truly answer that question, except testing for your body. To me it seemed a valid point to raise as you continued to sound dubious about it, even when you've gotten some replies of positive experience. Thus my genuine, to the point, reply.

Sometimes I try and be brief because I know I can post long messages. Unfortunately it often seems to backfire. Sorry if it seemed inappropriate or seemed to demand justification of the thread.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

Evermont

Evermont

• Seniors
  • 3,368 posts
I think lentils are a really good food choice. As we always say here - your mileage may vary. It is also true that lentils vary. This being the case, a diabetic wondering what mileage they may get from a particular food is left to test, test, test.

I understand about avoiding spikes and being uncertain about new foods. Still, it's important to eat a variety of foods, and while us diabetics are so busy eliminating foods - we need to take measures to replace eliminated foods with (hopefully better) new foods.

I'm going to start a thread about testing new foods because lentils are just one of thousands of foods and it's this principle of how to evolve your diet by testing and introiducing new foods that is really the important part I think.

In the meantime, here's some great info on lentils:

Health Benefits

Lentils, a small but nutritionally mighty member of the legume family, are a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. Not only do lentils help lower cholesterol, they are of special benefit in managing blood-sugar disorders since their high fiber content prevents blood sugar levels from rising rapidly after a meal. But this is far from all lentils have to offer. Lentils also provide good to excellent amounts of six important minerals, two B-vitamins, and protein-all with virtually no fat. The calorie cost of all this nutrition? Just 230 calories for a whole cup of cooked lentils. This tiny nutritional giant fills you up--not out.

Lentils-A Fiber All Star

Check a chart of the fiber content in foods; you'll see legumes leading the pack. Lentils, like other beans, are rich in dietary fiber, both the soluble and insoluble type. Soluble fiber forms a gel-like substance in the digestive tract that snares bile (which contains cholesterol)and ferries it out of the body. Research studies have shown that insoluble fiber not only helps to increase stool bulk and prevent constipation, but also helps prevent digestive disorders like irritable bowel syndrome and diverticulosis.

Love Your Heart-Eat Lentils

In a study that examined food intake patterns and risk of death from coronary heart disease, researchers followed more than 16,000 middle-aged men in the U.S., Finland, The Netherlands, Italy, former Yugoslavia, Greece and Japan for 25 years. Typical food patterns were: higher consumption of dairy products in Northern Europe; higher consumption of meat in the U.S.; higher consumption of vegetables, legumes, fish, and wine in Southern Europe; and higher consumption of cereals, soy products, and fish in Japan. When researchers analyzed this data in relation to the risk of death from heart disease, they found that legumes were associated with a whopping 82% reduction in risk!!

Lentils Give You Energy to Burn While Stabilizing Blood Sugar

In addition to its beneficial effects on the digestive system and the heart, soluble fiber helps stabilize blood sugar levels. If you have insulin resistance, hypoglycemia or diabetes, legumes like lentils can really help you balance blood sugar levels while providing steady, slow-burning energy. Studies of high fiber diets and blood sugar levels have shown the dramatic benefits provided by these high fiber foods. Researchers compared two groups of people with type 2 diabetes who were fed different amounts of high fiber foods. One group ate the standard American Diabetic diet, which contains with 24 grams of fiber/day, while the other group ate a diet containing 50 grams of fiber/day. Those who ate the diet higher in fiber had lower levels of both plasma glucose (blood sugar) and insulin (the hormone that helps blood sugar get into cells). The high fiber group also reduced their total cholesterol by nearly 7%, their triglyceride levels by 10.2% and their VLDL (Very Low Density Lipoprotein--the most dangerous form of cholesterol)levels by 12.5%.

(link)

sannysan

sannysan

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Did a search and no answer.
Are lentils good carb wise?
Wonderful daughter sent me an article that there about a wonder food for diabetics.

True??

Art

Hi,
Your daughter's view of a wonder food for diabetics is absolutely correct.
So many forum members, so busy of displaying their own GREAT knowledge of diabetes, and IDIOT enough of not using google....
Somewhere I read that if a millions of millions of monkeys were made to sit on typewriters and they typed at random, then by sheer probability, a monkey would probably write the complete works of Shakespeare. This is a hypothesis, but these forum posts are......

Only one boarder made a passing mention of the actual food.

I became a member just to write about this. Being an Indian, I have checked this personally and I have proof. But this gentleman here has done extensive research . He deserves to be given credit for his sheer effort. Infact, I would probably copy paste from his article....
So, here is the article and the wonder food is CHANA DAL.
Go thru this link for complete info on the same. HE also has a list of recipes suitable for the western palate....

[url=http://www.mendosa.com/chanadal.html]Chana Dal[/url]

Subby

Subby

• Seniors
  • 10,158 posts
Yep, chana dal can be particularly low GI. It's nutritious as well, like many other lentils. Does that make it a wonder food? Not sure about that. I have it in my pantry and enjoy it sometimes. It certainly lasts for hours, for me, which can be a good and bad thing, depending. The link is certainly worth reading.

You became a member to write that post. Now that you've achieved your goal, I'm hoping you might consider becoming a non-member again.

kegstore

kegstore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
Hear hear! :D
"Powering On-line Shoe Shops"

Gary_W

Gary_W

• Seniors
  • 1,335 posts

Hi,
So many forum members, so busy of displaying their own GREAT knowledge of diabetes, and IDIOT enough of not using google....
Somewhere I read that if a millions of millions of monkeys were made to sit on typewriters and they typed at random, then by sheer probability, a monkey would probably write the complete works of Shakespeare. This is a hypothesis, but these forum posts are......

Only one boarder made a passing mention of the actual food.

I became a member just to write about this. Being an Indian, I have checked this personally and I have proof. But this gentleman here has done extensive research . He deserves to be given credit for his sheer effort. Infact, I would probably copy paste from his article....
So, here is the article and the wonder food is CHANA DAL.
Go thru this link for complete info on the same. HE also has a list of recipes suitable for the western palate....

Chana Dal

Do you also gatecrash parties, insult the host for no particular reason and leave? If so, hope the last part of that is your general remit.

And 'suitable to the Western palate?' Do me a favour. The vast majority of Brits born in the last 30-40 years will happily beg borrow and steal from any branch of food. Last time I checked, we qualify as being in 'the West'

How do you spell 'rude' in Hindi? (I realise that Hindi may not be your native tounge, but whilst we're being rude I thought I'd continue the tradition). Write it out 100 times. Read it. Think about it. Then go away, or (if you learn something from the experience) stay around. I almost care.
The people of the Village call me 'The King and Queen of Fajitas'. I know not why....

genie86333

genie86333

• Seniors
  • 2,191 posts

Hi,

And yet, I see only 1 person who doesn't know what he's talking about here yet pretending to do so.

Sorry, lentils are NOT a wonder food for diabetics. They may work great for SOME people. However, they cause a high & long spike for others. One serving. 10 grams of digestible carbs. EVERYONE'S DIFFERENT. That's why people here are advising the original poster to TEST for himself. Because we're not know-it-alls like you.

sannysan

sannysan

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Did anyone actually go thru the links I provided by any chance???

ShottleBop

ShottleBop

• Seniors
  • 6,646 posts
I read the David Mendosa column you linked to. I'm sure others did, as well. So, Chana Dal works for David Mendosa. I like chana dal, and someone else (foxl, I think) has recommended them, as well, in the thread about lunch salads; next time I go to an Indian restaurant, I'll try some. But I know from spending several months on this forum and on another diabetes forum is that different people tolerate different foods to greater or lesser degrees. Until I try it and test my post-prandial blood sugars, therefore, I can't say whether it's good for me and the way in which I like to manage my condition. And then, the most I could say would be that I tolerate them well, and perhaps others might, too.
Functionally, a Type 2 (missed the label by th-a-a-a-a-t much)
Dx prediabetic 02/08 (FBG 127 and 123), A1c 6.5
So far, controlled without meds.

foxl

foxl

• Seniors
  • 13,756 posts
Yes, it was me, Subby, and I still must limit myself to a very small amount of them.

No miracle for me ... sadly, I cannot abandon myself to a bowl as in the past, by any means. However, I can eat enough with a lot of carefully-chosen veg dishes to satisfy a craving once in a while.

Gotta keep eating to the meter. All the links in the world will not substitute for that.
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
dx 02/09 in DKA

MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU