Diabetes and Frequent Urination...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

pands45

pands45

• Members
  • 133 posts
On another thread someone mentioned this. When I was in the endo's office I waited 3 times in a 2hr period for the ladies rm.The nurse said that it was because most diabetics have to go often. I questioned her and said " you mean before they are diagnosed" and she said "no, they always have to pee, even after diagnosed". Anyone know why we have to pee so often???

foxl

foxl

• Seniors
  • 13,756 posts
I don't think it is true, unless, of course your doctor's office has a LOT of poorly-controlled pts.!
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

Gordonm

Gordonm

• Seniors
  • 1,518 posts
That is BS. No more than the normal person. If they are poorly controlled yes they will urinate more often. I can't beleive the poor info that some medical people provide. Totally false.
Type 1 since 4/74
Pump user since 10/17/06!
MM 523 pump
Bike miles
2013 3196
2014 3070 miles

HuskerMychal

HuskerMychal

• Seniors
  • 725 posts
Only if you are not maintaining good control. Always high = alyways warm = always thirsty = always drinking = more peeing. Least how it goes in my case.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Humulin U-500 Pumping Pink Ping
Metformin 850mg 3x a day
Cpap 18 Cm H2o with Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask
Aspirin 162 mg a day
Zetia 10mg a day
Tricor 145mg a day
Benazepril 20mg a day
Dyazide 27.5-25mg a day
Metoprolol 50mg a day
Lyrica 50mg 2x day
Vicadin 325 x 5 2x a day
Fish Oil - Glucostimine - Vit D

icebacon

icebacon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
That really shouldn't be true when bg is controlled.

Also, is 2 hrs a typical amt. of time to spend at an endo? Were they serving watermelon? :)

pands45

pands45

• Members
  • 133 posts
no watermelon , not even coffee with soya milk. Just a room full of diabetic URINATORS!!!!2 hours is nothing , I am lucky I even have an endo.My 85 yr old Mom does NOT even have a GP since her GP of 40 years retired last year at 84 yrs.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,180 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I don't think I "go" more than a non-diabetic. There are other things that can cause frequency; certain meds, increase in fluids, urinary tract infection, nervousness, enlarged prostate (males of course) to name a few.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

foxl

foxl

• Seniors
  • 13,756 posts

I don't think I "go" more than a non-diabetic. There are other things that can cause frequency; certain meds, increase in fluids, urinary tract infection, nervousness, enlarged prostate (males of course) to name a few.

Maybe this MD is just real fond of prescribing LASIX??? :D
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

Mich

Mich

• Seniors
  • 2,242 posts
Only if sugar is high. Your kidneys need more water to flush it out and make you thirstier and...well...

I'm with foxl on this one. ;)

Mich

pands45

pands45

• Members
  • 133 posts
Called dr's office today to spk to nurse who said that Diabetics urinate more frequently and she DENIED saying it!!! I'm so-o-o . PO'd at her. What a liar!!!She now says it must be the new meds I am on.Diamicron MR or Gliclazide. I asked that the dr call me and she said to send her a fax asking her to do this. I asked her to give the dr the message. After all, she is the NURSE/Receptionist. She said dr. gets too many calls, so she prefers to communicate like this. In the meantime, I had to get off the spin bike 2 times this morning in a 1 hr spin class. That is the ONLY symptom I have !!! I hate when people lie and are dishonest especially in positions of power.Anyone know if Gliclazide makes you urinate more frequently????

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,180 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
Pands, how long have you had problems with this? Is it only in the daytime, or do you get up at night as well?

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

pands45

pands45

• Members
  • 133 posts
Have had the frequency DURING THE DAY since last week when I started these new meds. I get up most nights( once or twice ) because I drink herbal tea at night up until 9 P.M. The Glucophage after dinner makes me feel like I have indegestion so the only that helps is a hot drink. I have a big carry out ug full of tea most nights.So, the daytime thing is new.

HuskerMychal

HuskerMychal

• Seniors
  • 725 posts
My worst case of a Dr lying is when they gave my wife a script for her daughters pain after brain surgery. Still dont know how they found it, but thats another story :D . Anyway, they scripted methadone, then told her it was not addicting. Me, as a ex meth addict and have tried or new about every type drug you could get high on inform her that was NOT true. when she called in a NP there told her that they add something to it to make it not addictive. I went in the next day to see them and came unglued on them. Daughter still would have took them for the pain but true information would have better helped her when it came time to stop them. She took them for 6 weeks and was withdrawing from them for 1 week.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Metformin 850mg 3x a day
Aspirin 162 mg a day
Zetia 10mg a day
Tricor 145mg a day
Benazepril 20mg a day
Dyazide 27.5-25mg a day
Metoprolol 50mg a day
Lyrica 50mg 2x day
Vicadin 325 x 5 2x a day

briancole23

briancole23

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
My doctor told me it is because the kidneys get full of sugar and just like anything else when its full, it needs to drain itself. I used to go like 4 times over night while sleeping. and yes i used to drink tons of water too. funny how the signs are written on the wall and as soon as you recieve the good news you can look back and see them all

icebacon

icebacon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
Any excess protein circulating will get filtered through the kidneys as well, which would contribute to the frequent urination.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,180 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
Do you think maybe you're drinking more throughout the day? I know I worried so much about my kidneys (still do) that I started drinking lots more water, which in turn kept me in the bathroom more than usual. Also, anytime I get "nervous," I gotta go...so anytime i'm in the doctor's office I tend to go more than usual.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.

HuskerMychal

HuskerMychal

• Seniors
  • 725 posts
Pands, one thing, Tea is a mild diuretic. That will increase the need to urinate a bit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Metformin 850mg 3x a day
Aspirin 162 mg a day
Zetia 10mg a day
Tricor 145mg a day
Benazepril 20mg a day
Dyazide 27.5-25mg a day
Metoprolol 50mg a day
Lyrica 50mg 2x day
Vicadin 325 x 5 2x a day

yannah

yannah

• Seniors
  • 5,599 posts
OKAY, I am going to state the obvious. last time this happened to me it was the ONLY symptom I had of an urinary tract infection. get that checked right away, don't let it go.
last a1c 5.5. /5.8

low carb

quinipril- 5 mg day
novolog 70/30

my lipid profile is finally amazing.

I LOVE YOU!

pands45

pands45

• Members
  • 133 posts
icebacon,
sorry to single you out, here but when I read the word PROTEIN it struck a chord with me. Before I was dx'd ( around 3 yrs before)my GP called to tell me that there were high levels of protein in my urine culture but NOT to worry abt it.She said the levels weren't high enough to do anything. What does high proteins mean? Would they see that in my last blood test ? or Only in a urine culture?

alicat61

alicat61

• Seniors
  • 1,242 posts

OKAY, I am going to state the obvious. last time this happened to me it was the ONLY symptom I had of an urinary tract infection. get that checked right away, don't let it go.

:) Hi,
I thought this could also be the case too.UTI's often cause frequent urination. If it was me I would be getting it checked out

Take care from Alicat61:)

On 5th May 2010 had a Lap Band fitted
Has changed my life
Humalog only if needed. (BGL above 6mmols)
Lantus daily
Metformin 1gm 3x a day
Propranalol 40 mgs 2 x a day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users