Hot Water causing LOW blood sugar?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

sugardumplin

sugardumplin

• Seniors
  • 709 posts
This has happened to me twice. I like to take really hot baths. Not very often. But every now and then I will read a book and run 2-3 tubs full of hot water. But the last 2 times I have done that, My bloodsugar has dropped low. I get the shakes and I can't get out of the bathroom fast enough to check my sugar. It was 65 last night and I cant remember what it was last time. But I was wondering if hot water can drop your blood sugar? or was this a coincidence with my exercising earlier in the day?

because if hot water CAN bring it down, then when it is high... maybe a hot bath to bring it down? :confused:
no signature for me please....thank you.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,134 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I've noticed lower blood sugar after being in the hot tub...but i've also noticed my blood sugar to be higher after a hot bath...go figure!

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

inkvisitor

inkvisitor

• Seniors
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
  • I am a:Type 1
Interesting...

This is about insulin absorption and hot water:

Also, certain things may increase how quickly insulin gets absorbed into the bloodstream and can make hypoglycemia more likely to occur. For example, taking a hot shower or bath right after having an insulin injection increases blood flow through the blood vessels in the skin, which can cause the insulin to be absorbed more quickly than usual.

When Blood Sugar Is Too Low
Type 1 since 02/1990

“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

foxl

foxl

• Seniors
  • 13,756 posts
YIKES -- another one of my "hobbies!" Will have to pay attention.
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

Poppasam

Poppasam

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I have just joined this site and live in London, UK. I am glad that you have posted yourself as "1.5" as that is what i logically called myself when the doctors said i was neither type 2 or 1.

Does anyone know of any treatments that are looking positive, also if there is any more progress on the stem cell research?

Thanks

Sam

Subby

Subby

• Seniors
  • 10,158 posts

Hi,

I have just joined this site and live in London, UK. I am glad that you have posted yourself as "1.5" as that is what i logically called myself when the doctors said i was neither type 2 or 1.

Does anyone know of any treatments that are looking positive, also if there is any more progress on the stem cell research?

Thanks

Sam

Hi Sam, welcome. Good on you for weathering the storms of trying to get a diagnosis. Type 1.5 doesn't really mean "between" type 1 and 2 or an unknown type, it's much closer to type 1 in mechanics, with important differences such as the length of time the pancreas takes to fail. The situation is complicated by the fact 1.5s are often misdiagnosed as type 2 - or, simply left an "unknown", as in your case.

Here is some further reading for you. Diabetes Types, Type 1.5, Slow Onset Type 1 and LADA.

There is also a type 1.5 forum here.

----

And hot water always makes me go high, just as hot weather does. Sometimes dramatically, I basically need to bolus for showers.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

rzrbks

rzrbks

• Seniors
  • 4,673 posts
  • LocationHogwarts, Hobbiton, Galactic Milieu
  • I am a:Type 1.5

And hot water always makes me go high, just as hot weather does. Sometimes dramatically, I basically need to bolus for showers.

Yup, me too.

Climbing in a tub with a new book is a great way to spend an evening especially during long cold winter here and I find that I run WAY higher when I'm tubbing.
"I am wounded," he said, "wounded, and it will never heal."

Frodo to Samwise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users