Photo

How do you carry insulin pens for a trip ?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

caley43

caley43

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I am going on a cruise the end of May and am looking for a good way to carry extra insulin pens that need refrigeration. I took Humalog and Lantus on a trip to New Mexico. They traveled well in a small insulated ice bag for 10 hours, but when we took a short hour trip the insulin in the Humalog froze; I guess an ice pack fell on it. I have been looking at various sites that sell travel kits and was wondering which one is going to be best for me.
I have enjoyed this forum but have just now figured out how to post. As you can probably tell I am new to using insulin.
Caley
caley
Humalog
Lantus Solostar
Metformin 1000 twice daily

SuzySushi

SuzySushi

• Members
  • 109 posts
(I think the message board just lost my reply ... sorry if this ends up being a double post.)

Get yourself a Frio pack from Frio [url=http://www.frious.com/]FRIO :: Home[/url] or Amazon.com

It activates with water and will keep insulin cold for up to 48 hours; you can re-soak it to keep the insulin cold longer. No problems with
airport security, either.

We traveled through Japan for 3 weeks with 2 small Frio packs. I can't say enough good thingss about them. Much easier than ice or gel-packs, and the insulin can't get cold enough to freeze.

ramlils

ramlils

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Try wrapping the ICE PACK in a towling material, and keeping it in a cooler bag.

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• Seniors
  • 7,846 posts
  • LocationHastings Melbourne Australia
  • I am a:Type 1
Would the pens be enough? what about the viles?

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

Tattoo azz

Tattoo azz

• Seniors
  • 1,991 posts
yeah i use frio packs too. They're great, i have a large and a small one, i put my disposable solostar pens in the large pack and my spare cartridges of novorapid in the small one. They work really well and i've never had any probs with them, also if you get a bit of sunstroke you can place one on your head and it will cool you down :D Oh and remember to keep ALL your medication in your carry on luggage, i know we keep repeating this but it is vital you do this.
Posted Image:fight:
It's ok you'll just feel a small prick[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"DUUUUDE Where's my carbs??"

T1 since oct '82
A1C 6.8 :D
Novorapid using Novopen4 (silver)
Levemir using Novopen4 (blue)
Metformin 2x500mg daily
Thyroxin 175mg once daily.

Jill-O

Jill-O

• Seniors
  • 1,656 posts
Since the pens can be used w/o refrigeration for 30 days, it seems to me if you won't be gone for more than 30 days, you pens would be fine so long as you don't let them get actually "hot". (?)

Posted Image

S. Jill O'Roark -- Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit Online @
www.whinny4me.com

Lantus, Humalog, Daily Exercise

And quit bringing up our forefathers and saying they were civil libertarians. Our founding fathers would have never tolerated any of this... For God's sake, they were blowing peoples' heads off because they put a tax on their breakfast beverage. And it wasn't even coffee.” -- Dennis Miller

orpy

orpy

• Members
  • 310 posts

Since the pens can be used w/o refrigeration for 30 days, it seems to me if you won't be gone for more than 30 days, you pens would be fine so long as you don't let them get actually "hot". (?)

I don't believe they need to be refrigerated...
Orpy

A1C changes: 6.8-->6.6-->6.5-->6.1-->6.4-->7.2 --> 6.0-->6.4-->6.3-->5.9!!! (June 2009) (I am so happy I made the 5 club)-->6.2.

Type 1

Officially pumping as of 2/1/2011!
Humalog
Animas Ping!

I have my ups and downs.

Southcoast June

Southcoast June

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
I agree with the previous 2 posters. I've been using Humalog and Lantus pens for 2 years now and was told by the pharmacist that, once I take them out of the refrigerator to use, NOT to refrigerate them again, unless it is extremely hot (over 90 degrees) or over 30 days. I took both of mine on vacations, including a Caribbean cruise. Because the hotel rooms and the cabin were air conditioned, they were fine.

I would think your pharmacist would be able to advise you of the same. Check with them.
Last A1C 7.8 :mad:
Yesterday's A1C ---- 7.1 (yay)
Currently using Humalog (sliding)and Lantus (28U) pens
Average daily readings: 200
:eek:
New Avg.: 135 :o (better)

caley43

caley43

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I appreciate all the comments. I know I don't need to refrigerate the pens I am using, but I have been told I need to carry extra pens to cover any accidents with the regulars.
The Frio paks had caught my eye and I was thinking about getting them. My only concern was that I read that they need to have circulation and not be put in a closed bag.
caley
Humalog
Lantus Solostar
Metformin 1000 twice daily

SuzySushi

SuzySushi

• Members
  • 109 posts
The bit about the closed bag means you shouldn't place the Frio bags in a plastic bag because air needs to circulate around them. They're fine in a backpack or carry-on luggage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users