- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

CruizCuz

CruizCuz

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, things are now as "clear as mud" so to speak. We thought we had it all figured out. My son wanted the Animas Ping after talking with 2 of his friends at school that have the Animas. But after reading all of the boards, I'm now indecided between the Ping and MM. Medtronics has been around for so long and have a great rep. Also, lots of confusion for me about the luer-lok system of the ping vs a different one for the MM. Has anyone tried both or do you have specific reasons for using one over the other? My son is 13 and a newly diagnosed diabetic. He is skilled at using electronics and would basically use either one. He had burning and stinging with Lantus and so is on Levemir twice daily now. I was concerned with comments about burning with the rapid infusion of the ping, but spoke with the rep and she said that if after switching to other insulins, if there is any burning, the 30 day trial would take care of reimbursment, etc. I spoke with the Medtronic rep and asked him why he would recommend his pump over the Ping,and he wouldn't speak against another company....very commendable, but didn't help much. I want to know advantages and disadvantages of both pumps....HELP, please. Thank you! BTW, this is my first post.

Subby

Subby

• Seniors
  • 10,158 posts
Hi CruizCuz, welcome. I know it sounds like a tricky choice, but I'd bet either choice would be fine.

First to address your question about luer lock vs proprietry: I really don't think there is any reason to worry about this even slightly. There is a good range of both avaliable (and most are the same sets just in different versions). I have never heard a genuine point against either in practical use - I use minimed and it works just fine.

The main objection is philosophical, that minimed went with their own standard instead of one shared by others. Now I don't claim to be able to clearly understand what is kosher or not in the all-round cut-throat world of pharmaceauticals - but if it somehow really gets your goat that minimed didn't stick with the standard, well, then you might have a problem with them. But, I just would not worry about it in practical terms.

I can say I've been very happy with my mm, but from reading people's experience with Animas, I'd probably be very happy with one of those too. The Animas has full waterproof status, which could be a boon. Then again, it depends if he is likely to want to swim with one on. I swim, and I wouldn't want to take my pump anyway, personally. You can usually be off one for about an hour at a time. The mm is "water resistant" and I believe if you fell into water and it stopped working it would be covered (not sure though: that's one to check with the rep).

Of course, the BG tester integration with the ping is something to look at. Likewise, the current availability of CGMS (constant glucose monitoring system) for the minimed is also worth at least thinking about.

Each do have a few quirks and issues. It's hard to say what might be an issue until you actually try it (like the fast bolusing issue, which would have been a huge issue for me I must say - I need it slow as possible).

Support wise, I can only speak for mm, I find they can be a bit curt on the phone, but they come through with the goods quickly. A button stuck on my pump and I had a replacement in about 12 hours. I thought I was having some issues with some sets (not sure if I was or not) and they sent out a replacement pack. They can be a bit robotic in conversation but with a bit of persistence I've been satisfied in my support needs.

Hope that's of some very small help, though I know it doesn't provide clear answers. Again my overall impression is: either would be a good choice.

One other thing: I know it seems small, but the slimline clip that comes with the mm is truly perfect for clipping the pump into the front pocket and forgetting about it.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

poodlebone

poodlebone

• Seniors
  • 4,960 posts
I also use Minimed and I'm very happy with it, although I admit that Animas looks very interesting. The proprietary connection on the Minimed pump really isn't a big deal. The same types of sets are available in both.

One thing you might want to consider is the fact that it's for a teenage boy. I'm not a boy and I was diagnosed at age 19, after puberty. I have read that puberty & hormones can do crazy things to a teenaged diabetic and they generally use a lot of insulin. Minimed has a 300 unit reservoir while Animas has a 200 unit reservoir. Even if he's not using a lot of insulin now, that could all change. Still not a big deal but it might mean you'd have to change the cartridge/reservoir more often on the Animas pump.
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

HollyB

HollyB

• Seniors
  • 641 posts
My son got his pump just after his 14th birthday, while still honeymooning. We went with Animas and have loved both the pump and the customer service/support. Also during his honeymoon the ability to program really tiny adjustments in the basal rate was extremely useful, even though people generally assume that's only important for very young kids. We would actually find that smallest increment of change would be enough to do the trick.

Now, 3 years later and looking at a new pump, he has decided to stick with Animas but did hesitate because of MM's larger cartridge. He uses a lot more insulin now, and as was mentioned by an earlier poster, sometimes runs out before it's time to change sets. It's relatively easy and fast to "top up' the cartridge to get that extra day out of the set, but it is another thing to remember.

The bottom line though, I think, for a 13-year-old, is he should get to pick. Given they are both excellent products with a proven track record, if there's one he's drawn to or just likes the look of better, that's a good enough reason to go with it. After all, he has to wear it 24/7.

PS If you go with Animas and are worried about stinging, be sure to set it on "SLOW" delivery. It's not that slow, but it basically solved the problem for Aaron. If he's still bothered, you can give big boluses (the ones most likely to sting) on a very short extended bolus -- like over 6 minutes. That should take care of it.

Good luck!
Holly
Mom to Aaron, 17, Type 1 Sept. 05

rubber314chicke

rubber314chicke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I also use Minimed and I'm very happy with it, although I admit that Animas looks very interesting. The proprietary connection on the Minimed pump really isn't a big deal. The same types of sets are available in both.

One thing you might want to consider is the fact that it's for a teenage boy. I'm not a boy and I was diagnosed at age 19, after puberty. I have read that puberty & hormones can do crazy things to a teenaged diabetic and they generally use a lot of insulin. Minimed has a 300 unit reservoir while Animas has a 200 unit reservoir. Even if he's not using a lot of insulin now, that could all change. Still not a big deal but it might mean you'd have to change the cartridge/reservoir more often on the Animas pump.

That is very true. I'm 16, and I burn through 90-100 units of humalog a day. I've got the Deltec with a 300u reservoir, if I had a 200u one I could make it work (unless it was the omnipod) though having a 300u one is convent because its all changed at once.

mattp2007

mattp2007

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I currently use the Animas pump and so far i love it. Granted my insulin usage is pretty high (70+ units a day,) but i dont mind changing the cartridge since it only take like 2 minutes. What sold me on the Animas pump was its ability to be remotly controled by the meter, so i can leave my pump in my pocket at all times.
"Even if you fall on your face you're still moving forward"

"Falling is not defeat, not getting up is"

diabeticdoc

diabeticdoc

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Both are good pumps and you can't really go wrong with either. Basically, these pumps do the same thing. Both companies are good and both pumps are good.

MM has built in CGM, but Animas will have Dexcom built in within the year and they have a good upgrade system (as do other companies, including MM).

Animas has a backlit screen that looks a little more savvy than MM. Also, Animas comes with the wireless meter that boluses and controls the pump. However, MM has a remote (extra $$) that has a similar function.

Its a personal choice.

psilocybin

psilocybin

• Seniors
  • 1,894 posts
i started on cozmo...switched to animas

love both of them and animas has great customer support/care i also had a very nice young nurse teach me how to use it the same day i got it in the mail...animas is ontop of things..i also love the inset 2's..great infusion sets, even come in the same color as the pump you chose (not sure how many colors are available of the sets..i have blue)

the 200u cartridge doesnt bother me at all since i am insulin sensitive, and only use 14 units basal, and probly about 10 units bolus a day
LETS GO BUFFALO

"Pancreas? We don't need no stinkin' pancreas

Posted Image

Certified Computer technician
Recent A1C - 5.3:cheers:
Type 1-Diagnosed Jan 27/2006 at age 21:stickyman
retired SLATE GREY Deltec Cozmo pump
Currently on BLUE animas 2020
:help:
Using BLUE inset 2 sets
GREEN OneTouch UltraMini
:thrasher:

psilocybin

psilocybin

• Seniors
  • 1,894 posts
im on the 2020 animas though...ping is suppose to be out by the end of the year in canada...

i cant afford CGMS anyway, so im not worried about waiting for the new animas With built in dexcom
LETS GO BUFFALO

"Pancreas? We don't need no stinkin' pancreas

Posted Image

Certified Computer technician
Recent A1C - 5.3:cheers:
Type 1-Diagnosed Jan 27/2006 at age 21:stickyman
retired SLATE GREY Deltec Cozmo pump
Currently on BLUE animas 2020
:help:
Using BLUE inset 2 sets
GREEN OneTouch UltraMini
:thrasher:

Subby

Subby

• Seniors
  • 10,158 posts

Animas has a backlit screen that looks a little more savvy than MM. Also, Animas comes with the wireless meter that boluses and controls the pump. However, MM has a remote (extra $$) that has a similar function.

Its a personal choice.

I got a little keyring remote with my MM 722 included. It's a basic little affair for "simple boluses" (ie, just setting and delivering a dose). Was that the remote you had in mind, or is there another one?
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

SCC

SCC

• Seniors
  • 1,030 posts
I'm just impressed he has two friends at school who are diabetic and with pumps!
-Susan
Type 1 - 48 years and counting
Pumping since Sept 07 (MM Revel 523)

CruizCuz

CruizCuz

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you all so very much for the support and input. I'm happy that there are so many happy Animas and MM users out there! The poster above who wrote that ultimately it was my son's choice was absolutely correct. Yesterday was our pump meeting and we started the process with Animas. My son loved the remote "ping" system. He wants to hide his pump and like that he can check his BG and enter his insulin via remote. Also, living in Florida, we do a LOT of swimming. We wouldn't leave the pump on in the ocean, or lake, but plan on leaving it on while swimming in the pool. My son will swim for hours at a time, and have found that it also helps keep BG's down. My son's school is extremely supportive of the diabetics we have there. It's gaining a reputation quickly, since my son's diagnosis, of being a great school for diabetics to attend. It's a small private school, much less $$ thank the biggies, and intimate enough that the faculty and administration are working with us on everything....from missing school, helping him with privacy, and looking out for him during the highs and lows. It DOES help to have friends at the school who have been dealing with diabetes and are now wearing pumps. I will write when we receive confirmation from insurance. Thank you all again!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users