Photo

Does Anyone Else get the shakes After Eating?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Hammer

Hammer

• 500 plus
  • 5,751 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
Is it normal to get a shaky feeling after you eat? It seems that no matter what I eat, shortly afterward, I begin to feel as if I just drank several cups of regular coffee....which I don't drink. I feel shaky and I was wondering if that's normal.

I check my BG and it's not abnormal....maybe in the 120-150 range. It happens every time I eat and it is annoying, to say the least. Does this happen to anyone else?

Presently taking: Hyzaar for blood pressure:
Novolog and Lantus for diabetes.
Welchol for cholesterol and diabetes
Mega-Red Omega-3 Krill Oil (300 mg)
Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)
I was diagnosed in 2003...

(The human body is so resilient that no matter how badly you abuse it, it will still last you a lifetime.)

art

art

• 500 plus
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Florida
it's happened to me.
At times I shake like I have chills.
BG is in the norm range.
BP is fine.
Lasts about 2 minutes
Glad to see I'm not the only one

Art

soso

soso

• 500 plus
  • 1,599 posts
I get that too.. on a very regular basis.. I start about 20 mins after eating and your description of the big cups of coffee and jittery.. I am also prone to dropping things and a bit daft in keeping my thoughts together.. usually lasts up to about an hour after eating.. worse at lunchtime.. I think it is my stomach responsible though.. not pain..but some kind of reaction...
SoSo

Dx Sept 2004
A1c 5.5
MDI

Patient254

Patient254

• 500 plus
  • 554 posts
Sometimes my heart starts pounding after I eat.
Laura
T1 Latest A1C is: 5.4

Hammer

Hammer

• 500 plus
  • 5,751 posts

Sometimes my heart starts pounding after I eat.

Yes, I forgot to add that in my post. It feels like I'm on speed or heavy doses of caffeine. I never felt this before I started trying to control my diabetes, so I don't know if it has something to do with the fact that I'm eating a lot less carbs now, so when I do eat something, the few carbs I do eat act like a sugar rush.

If you've never had a sugar rush, you can easily have one by avoiding all sweets for a period of time....say a few weeks, then eat a small candy bar. You will begin to feel like you've had a shot of adrenalin.

Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)

(The human body is so resilient that no matter how badly you abuse it, it will still last you a lifetime.)

Jill-O

Jill-O

• 500 plus
  • 1,656 posts
I wonder if the Byetta combined with the insulin is making you drop, and while when you checked you're "okay", wonder if you're getting ready to drop fast?

The reason I ask is I was on Byetta and quit it about a week and a half ago because I couldn't stop the bad drops after dinner. I'd be 40-50 4+ times a week.

I'm using more insulin now, but having a much easier time at keeping my numbers where they need to be.

Maybe just something to keep in mind.

Good luck!

Posted Image

S. Jill O'Roark -- Spotsylvania, VA (USA)

Visit Online @
www.whinny4me.com

Lantus, Humalog, Daily Exercise

And quit bringing up our forefathers and saying they were civil libertarians. Our founding fathers would have never tolerated any of this... For God's sake, they were blowing peoples' heads off because they put a tax on their breakfast beverage. And it wasn't even coffee.” -- Dennis Miller

Hammer

Hammer

• 500 plus
  • 5,751 posts

I wonder if the Byetta combined with the insulin is making you drop, and while when you checked you're "okay", wonder if you're getting ready to drop fast?

The reason I ask is I was on Byetta and quit it about a week and a half ago because I couldn't stop the bad drops after dinner. I'd be 40-50 4+ times a week.

I'm using more insulin now, but having a much easier time at keeping my numbers where they need to be.

Maybe just something to keep in mind.

Good luck!

Hi Jill-O! Thanks for the reply! I never thought about the Byetta causing a problem, but thinking back, I don't think it is the Byetta. I say that because I would test every so many minutes after eating to see if I was low, since I was shaking. Also, there have been times when I took the Byetta, and while waiting 30 minutes before eating, I'd get a phone call and be on the phone for an hour, then after I hung up, I'd make something to eat. I didn't feel shaky when this happened, only after I ate did I feel shaky, so if the Byetta was causing me to go too low, I'd think that it would be more pronounced if I didn't eat at all, but it wasn't.

I can't help but feel that it has something to do with eating so few carbs. I'm thinking this because I've known people who were on a low carb diet to lose weight (mostly body builders), and if they strayed and ate something like a small bite sized candy bar, you'd think they took amphetamines. They were full of energy, bouncing all over the gym....for about 15 minutes, then they crashed and felt totally drained.
They told me that they felt so energetic, they wanted to exercise like crazy....for those 15 minutes.

So I'm thinking that if I ate some carbs, it would make me feel energetic also, but since I'm just sitting here, that energy would manifest itself as shaking. If I got up and walked for 30 minutes, I wouldn't get the shakes....or if I did, I wouldn't notice them.

Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)

CountYourselfIn

CountYourselfIn

• 500 plus
  • 481 posts
Yeah, I know that feeling. It's like suddenly being overwhelmed with inexplicable energy, almost like an adrenalin dump, like you could get up and go for a jog. You can feel it through every nerve in your body, like there's some kind of current suddenly running through you.

I used to get that really bad when I had some kind of sugar with my food, like a bottle of juice. Meals on the go - sometimes I just gotta wing it, and go for a quick carb, like juice. That always gives me that feeling, even tho my #'s are within range.

I think it's just the feeling of that sugar quickly being absorbed/used by the body, en masse, as opposed to a gradual release you'd get from a high fiber, low carb meal.

Since I cut out sugar/juice (cept lifesavers when I need a quick fix), I don't get that feeling anymore.

When it happens, try taking note of what you ate, and compare instances - see what the pattern is.

Also, you may want a rapid acting insulin to offset meal spikes, like Humalog or Novolog.
DX: Dec 21 07 @ 12.4%

NPH 18u PM, 18u AM
Humalog (sometimes)
Crestor 10mg (hey, it works)
Met 1000mg twice daily

Vitamins n Supplements:
B100, D (4000iu daily) , E, CoQ10 (for the Crestor), Cranberry, Chromium (500mcg daily), omega 3 poisson caps (3g daily, spread out as I see fit), multivitamin

Latest A1c
6.9 (Apr 09)

Cholesterol
Total: 3.7 (144)
LDL: 2.2 (86)
HDL: 1.0 (39)
Trigs: 1.2(107)

PERKDOUG

PERKDOUG

• 500 plus
  • 359 posts

Is it normal to get a shaky feeling after you eat?

I have an explanation but it is complicated. Sorry!

When a normal person eats, it creates a phase 1 insulin response. If a normal person eats too few carbs this phase 1 insulin is seen by the internal regulator as an error causing a possible hypo and glucagon is released to raise glucose levels.

Notice the normal regulation sequence:
1. Phase 1 insulin response from eating
2. Insufficient increase in blood glucose from all fat/protein meal.
3. The regulator worries about a hypo so sends out a signal to pump glucagon which raises blood glucose.
4. Glucose rises and the regulator is very happy!

Take note that many type 2's have a constantly high glucagon secretion which is the basis of my analysis.

But in the type 2 diabetic:
1. Phase 1 insulin response from eating
2. Insufficient increase in blood glucose from:
--A. all fat/protein meal or
--B. delayed stomach emptying or
--c. high fasting glucose causes an insufficient increase in blood glucose to please the regulator
3. The regulator sends out signal to pump glucagon but because the type 2 is already pumping excess glucagon the regulator sees insufficient change in glucagon
4. the regulator now panics and hits the epinephrine button
5. blood sugar rises but you get the shakes
6. the regulator is happy but not very happy

Just an idea. I just like to take a shot at interesting symptoms.
Feel free to tear this idea up. We need something to argue about, the Forums are very slow. The Lowfat and Lowcarb armies are resting between battles. Very boring indeed!

mooncat

mooncat

• 500 plus
  • 122 posts

Is it normal to get a shaky feeling after you eat? It seems that no matter what I eat, shortly afterward, I begin to feel as if I just drank several cups of regular coffee....which I don't drink. I feel shaky and I was wondering if that's normal.

I check my BG and it's not abnormal....maybe in the 120-150 range. It happens every time I eat and it is annoying, to say the least. Does this happen to anyone else?

Serendipitous that this question should appear, because although I've been on meds and eating low carb since December, I've just started noticing it this week, and so far, only at lunch, and only at work. It might have happened other times and I didn't notice so much because I was active doing something other than just sitting and eating.

Yesterday and today, both eating low carb lunches, before I was halfway through lunch and lasting for about 10-15 minutes after I finished, I have been super jittery, almost like a panic attack feeling, and then it goes away. I haven't tested every time this happens, but the times I have tested my numbers have been nothing special, neither low nor high. As others have said, glad to know what it is, and that it's not just me.
Vicki

Dx'd Type 2 12/08
metformin 1000 mg b.i.d.
carvedilol 3.125 mg b.i.d.
Diovan 160 mg b.i.d.

A1c: 03/09 - 5.9
A1c: 06/09 - 5.6 (yesss!)

One Touch Ultra Smart, One Touch Mini
Wavesense Presto

Hammer

Hammer

• 500 plus
  • 5,751 posts
That wasn't too complicated PerkDog. As for what I eat, it doesn't matter.....it happens no matter what I eat. For example, every morning I eat the same thing.....a Breakfast Bowl, which consists of eggs, bacon, cheese, and some small diced potatoes. Total carbs are 23.

If I eat a can of tuna fish, same thing. I've tried all sorts of foods, and I get the shakes every time.

Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)

momof2angels

momof2angels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I know you posted this a long time ago but I did a google search and found it. I have been having the same problems with shaking after eating and it's driving me insane! I was just wondering if you ever got a diagnosis? Thanks in advance!

art

art

• 500 plus
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Florida
Sometimes I get lightheaded.
Before my DX I would shake like a leaf right after eating.

I'll suggest you check your BS when it happens.
If you're really hight I guess a trip to the Doc is in order

Art

Hammer

Hammer

• 500 plus
  • 5,751 posts
No I have never discovered why this happens. It isn't an overwhelming feeling, it's just something I've noticed. It is possible that this happened a long time ago, and I just never noticed it, but I'm not sure.

From what I've been told by my doctor, a type 2 diabetic usually loses his phase 1 insulin release, and that's what Byetta is supposed to help get back on track.

Like right now, I've eaten about 90 minutes ago, and for the past hour or less, I can feel the increased heart rate. I usually ignore it, but when you have IBS, this elevated heart rate can also upset your stomach, and make you run to the bathroom. The elevated heart rate seems to make my stomach nervous, which makes my IBS flare up sometimes.

Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)

retired60

retired60

• 500 plus
  • 367 posts
I have the same thing. Never knew why .....but I do get a little shaky and heart beat elevates, as a matter of fact I'm that way now and I have just eat and bg is 115. I always thought it was just me.
Retired 60:) :)

Lantus 20 units daily
Glucaphage 500x2 daily
Carvedilol 12.5 x 2 daily
Furosemide 40 mg daily
Benazepril 5mg daily
Aspirin 325mg daily
10/15/08 a1c 5.3
1/15/09 a1c 5.4
4/01/09 a1c 5.6
7/26/09 a1c 5.5

KimP

KimP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I get headaches, when my sugar goes up to 8... my body is very sensitive....

Abra

Abra

• 500 plus
  • 405 posts
I don't think it's diet per se, because I've eaten very low carb for the past four months and have never had any symptoms like that (and wow, am I ever glad, because they sound very annoying!) I scanned the thread trying to see what meds all of you who suffer from this have in common. I do see a lot of Byetta, but not everybody has posted their meds so it's hard to be sure.
Dx 7/09/09
A1c @ Dx 7.2
A1c 3/26/10 6.0
A1c 6/28 5.9
A1c 10/25 5.7
Lisinopril/HCTZ
Synthroid
Vitamin D
Metformin ER 2000

Hammer

Hammer

• 500 plus
  • 5,751 posts
I don't think it's the Byetta, because there are times when I am away from home and can't take it.(I don't take it with me.) I may take it in the morning....say 9 am, then go out all day, come home at midnight, and watch TV and eat something....maybe a salad, then I still get that feeling, even though it's been 15 hours since I last took any Byetta. It's only supposed to stay in your system for a short time after you inject it, so I'd think that in 15 hours, it's no longer there.

Mega-Red D3 (5000 IU)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users