Low Carb Beer Recomendations?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

TommyC1

TommyC1

• 500 plus
  • 1,186 posts
Sadly I'm starting to believe that my favorite beers are not much better for me than a big old slurpy. Leastways that's what my meter is saying.
With 20 grams of carb per 12 oz bottle I guess that's no surprise.
But I don't care for bad beer. Coors Lite, Bud Lite, Miller Lite, Paugh. Might as well quit drinking.
I tried Sam Adams Light. It's tolerable but it's got 10 grams so I don't guess It's all that low carb.
Heiniken Light's got just under 7 grams. Getting in the ball park. Not very satisfying though.
Amstel Light comes in at 5 grams. I used to drink that quite often. Guess I'll have to try it again.

I like beer that tastes like a good bread.
Sam Adams Boston Ale.
Long trail Ale.
Long Trail Blackbeary Wheat.
UFO.
Red Hook Blond.
Smutty Nose Brown Dog Ale.

I like those all but they all spike me pretty fierce. If I want to drink three or four in an afternoon/evening they're tough to bolus for.

So say I'm limiting myself to 7 grams or less per 12 oz bottle.
Any suggestions?
Probably ought to say where you get it or at least where you are too. Not likely I'll go to Oz on a beer run but someone else might?

TIA
Tommy

Lantus & Novalog MDI

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
I'm not a big fan of beer, but here are my choices when it comes to low carb beers:

Michelob Ultra Amber
114 calories
3.7g carbs
0 fat

Michelob Ultra
95 calories
2.6g carbs
0 fat

Budweiser Select
99 calories
3.1g carbs
0 fat

Karen

GretchO

GretchO

• 500 plus
  • 925 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
Tommy, I hear ya! I love really flavorful, yummy beers too but have a really hard time keeping my BSs in control while I'm enjoying them. I also live in the midwest now where you can't find much more than Bud on tap anyway (except if you're in a brew pub (yay, we have one in Columbia)) so my choices are pretty limited to begin with. I've started drinking Michelob Ultra because it's available - it's really not that bad for a light beer but I think Amstel is more flavorful. I miss Red Hook and Ipswich Ale...
Gretchen

MM 522 pump since 05/07; CGMS since 11/07

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be devoured by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts
I do not drink often (alcoholism in family), but this thread is making me sad -- I live in the home city of Boulevard Brewing, and used to love the occasional Unfiltered Wheat.

Oh, well.
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

art

art

• 500 plus
  • 2,025 posts
  • LocationWest Coast Florida
  • I am a:Type 2
Wouldn't you love a Chimay????

not any more

Art

worstday.jpg

DCaplinger

DCaplinger

• 500 plus
  • 855 posts
I too love beer... especially during a football game. I've found that I tolerate beer well, so I can usually enjoy some without worrying about spiking.

I personally love Miller Lite, however I do occasionally like a good Sam Adams or Amstel.

Of course, I think it goes without saying... DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!

Regards,

D

diabetes1.png

Darian A. Caplinger, EMT
Medically Retired Deputy Sheriff
---
Dx Info: Misdx'd T2 on 12/20/2007; Dx'd T1 on 01/28/2008
Tx Plan:
Metformin 1000mg 2x daily (08/2011).

MDI Novolog & Levemir (Pumped from 07/2009 until 08/2014).
Symlin 120mcg subq 3x/day (05/2010).
My Facebook

---
And now, Shakespeare by DCaplinger:
"Hath not a Diabetic eyes? Hath not a Diabetic feelings? Prick us, do we not test?"

jseeley

jseeley

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I love beer; I even used to brew my own, but here is a different suggest. Try wine. I was really a beer person for the longest time, but wine has really grown on me. It is also lower carb, tons of antioxidants, reduces your risk for heart disease.

And there are so many varieties; you may have to try a few before you find one you like. I prefer dry red wines. I can't stand that sweet ****. I peronally like chianti and shiraz the best. And you don't need to buy any of the expensive **** either. I usually by it in the "table wine" bottles (a big gallon jug basically for 5 or 6$)

TommyC1

TommyC1

• 500 plus
  • 1,186 posts
Wine? Whine?
Paugh!

Um..er I mean, Thank you for your suggestion but I do not care for wine.

I bought some Amstel in cans last night. Tastes like the can. <sigh>
Guess I'll try the bottles next.

Tommy

Lantus & Novalog MDI

GretchO

GretchO

• 500 plus
  • 925 posts
Yeah, buy Amstel in bottles.

But I must say, i do love red wine too. It's very nice on my BSs.
Gretchen

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be devoured by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.

realHelp

realHelp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Sadly I'm starting to believe that my favorite beers are not much better for me than a big old slurpy. Leastways that's what my meter is saying.

(snip)

I like those all but they all spike me pretty fierce. If I want to drink three or four in an afternoon/evening they're tough to bolus for.

So say I'm limiting myself to 7 grams or less per 12 oz bottle.
Any suggestions?
Probably ought to say where you get it or at least where you are too. Not likely I'll go to Oz on a beer run but someone else might?

TIA
Tommy

Hi Tommy.

I love a good beer too. But you have to go with your meter. It doesn't drink, so it's numbers don't get buzzed.

But maybe you could still enjoy the "good" beers if you just drink one or two instead of three or four? Test one hour and then two hours after drinking two beers and see what you get.

If it's still too high, just make it one beer. :(

Jaye Marno

** Set your goals and how to achieve them, and measure your progress along the way. **

dme100

dme100

• 500 plus
  • 111 posts
I know alcohol can keep sugars down, would not a beer kinda balance itself out? Kinda of a "net" carbs effect?

David

inkvisitor

inkvisitor

• 500 plus
  • 976 posts
I tend to do the same - stick to the light ones and occasionally have one that's not once in a while.

I actually like some of our local light beers (Shiner Light - 120 calories and 9g carbs, Lone Star Light - 111 calores and 8g carbs, and Pearl Light, which I have been made fun of for :T, but only 68 calories and 6g carbs).

Then there's stuff I enjoy like Unibroue Trois Pistoles - 239 calories and 30g carbs!
Type 1 since 02/1990

“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

howdysf

howdysf

• 500 plus
  • 597 posts
I just drink what I want to drink.. actually I'm drinking a homebrew belgian golden ale right now!.... I blolus for it, but the bottom line is you gotta live life!..I think my BS (after two) is about 180 and I just took 6 units to enjoy my 3rd!.. wasn't it Benjamin Franklin who said something to the effect of "beer is proof that God wants us to be happy"..?
Diagnosed T1 5/3/07
Check out my band Howdy!
www.outlawfolk.com

howdysf

howdysf

• 500 plus
  • 597 posts

I know alcohol can keep sugars down, would not a beer kinda balance itself out? Kinda of a "net" carbs effect?

David

I find this to be true after about my 6 or 7th....:)
Diagnosed T1 5/3/07
Check out my band Howdy!
www.outlawfolk.com

TommyC1

TommyC1

• 500 plus
  • 1,186 posts
Well I tried Amstel in bottles.
That is not to bad:D
Way better than anything else I've tried so far.

David

I don't think that kicks in until you get enough alcohol into your system.
As a relatively lightweight drinker I find I pretty much have to treat them as fast acting carbs as I would with fruit juice or sugared soda.:mad:
That's one of those "eat to your meter" things I guess.

Tommy

Lantus & Novalog MDI

kstreeter513

kstreeter513

• 500 plus
  • 283 posts

Tommy, I hear ya! I love really flavorful, yummy beers too but have a really hard time keeping my BSs in control while I'm enjoying them. I also live in the midwest now where you can't find much more than Bud on tap anyway (except if you're in a brew pub (yay, we have one in Columbia)) so my choices are pretty limited to begin with. I've started drinking Michelob Ultra because it's available - it's really not that bad for a light beer but I think Amstel is more flavorful. I miss Red Hook and Ipswich Ale...

Holly ****!!! Another Columbian. Go Flat Branch. I love their beer. We're supposed to be getting another brewery on East Broadway in the near future. I want to say it is going in somewhere between 7th and 9th street. I can't wait.

I have noticed that if I start drinking with a stable blood sugar that has been that way for at least two hours, with no food/bolus on board, I can safely drink 2-3 beers of my choice with little to no effect on BG. But that's just me.

P.S. Although I don't really care for it...Guiness has only 125 calories and 10 CHO per 12oz serving. Not sure if that qualifies as "low carb" or not.

orpy

orpy

• 500 plus
  • 310 posts
I just stick with Coors Lite...I know it's cr@p but I can still get a buzz. I like wine but it tends to give me hot flashes...I like the way wine lowers my BS though.

I won't give up my beer...what else is left? No pasta, no pizza, no chocolate, no spaghetti, no................nothin'. So I am going to keep my beer. My kids whine at me when I have beer and I tell them, look, that's all I have left! :)
Orpy

A1C changes: 6.8-->6.6-->6.5-->6.1-->6.4-->7.2 --> 6.0-->6.4-->6.3-->5.9!!! (June 2009) (I am so happy I made the 5 club)-->6.2.

Type 1

Officially pumping as of 2/1/2011!
Humalog
Animas Ping!

I have my ups and downs.

TommyC1

TommyC1

• 500 plus
  • 1,186 posts
I tried some Budweiser Select over the weekend. 3.8 grams carbohydrate.
I guess if you are a Bud fan this might tase good.
I'm not so it's back to the Amstel Bottles.

Tommy

Lantus & Novalog MDI

TommyC1

TommyC1

• 500 plus
  • 1,186 posts
Actually Bud Select when properly chilled was not too bad.
I often drink beer at room temperature and prefer most that I like that way.
Budweiser NEEDS to be cold IMO.
So Cold Bud Select, with 3.8 grams carb, goes on the GOOD list.

Tommy

Lantus & Novalog MDI

GretchO

GretchO

• 500 plus
  • 925 posts

Holly ****!!! Another Columbian. Go Flat Branch. I love their beer. We're supposed to be getting another brewery on East Broadway in the near future. I want to say it is going in somewhere between 7th and 9th street. I can't wait.

I have noticed that if I start drinking with a stable blood sugar that has been that way for at least two hours, with no food/bolus on board, I can safely drink 2-3 beers of my choice with little to no effect on BG. But that's just me.

P.S. Although I don't really care for it...Guiness has only 125 calories and 10 CHO per 12oz serving. Not sure if that qualifies as "low carb" or not.

Hey kstreeter - yeah, the new brew pub is going to be near the Root Cellar on Broadway from what I hear...hope it's good! I really like Flat Branch too, remarkably good beer! And a fairly decent selection of scotch.

Tommy, I agree - Bud Select is surprisingly not bad for what it is. Michelob Ultra, in my opinion, also needs to be cold. It a tad on the bitter side - i love hoppy beers (mmmm, Harpoon IPA on tap :)).
Gretchen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users